Just back from Newport and Block Island

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from Newport and Block Island

I am in love with Rhode Island!! I just came back from 5 days in Newport and 4 in Block Island. The purpose of this vacation was to totally destress and seek some much needed relaxation and it was accomplished. We drove to Newport and stayed at the Fairfield Inn at Long Wharf. The place was in walking distance to everything along the wharves and it had a nice pool as well - just ignore the time/share hawkers!! We took in a few of the mansions - Breakers, Rosecliff and Rough Point. Also walked along Cliff Walk - awesome!! We visited Ft Adams, the Newport Winery and took a boat ride aroung the harbor. Most of the restaurants were excellent - the Moorings, Stradella, the Red Parrot, Cafe Zelda. (The Landing was not so great.) I was disappointed that the Touro Synagogue was closed for renovation. Maybe we'll see it next time. After doing lots of people watching we drove back over the bridge on to Pt Judith to catch the 55-minute ferry ride to Block Island. Stayed at the Atlantic Inn - charming and picturesque. Lots of hiking on nature trails, hanging out on the beach and eating at wonderfully low-key restaurants where elegant means clean shorts!!
Sitting in Adirondeck chairs on the expansive lawn in front of the Inn overlooking the water was indeed peaceful and serene and everything I had expected and more. Although some places were not fully operational because of the season, we still had a good time and plan to go back.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 10:01 AM

So glad you had fun,Lola! A R.Islander growing up, I still enjoy going to Block Island, and have family in Newport. Might I suggest sometinme in the future a nights stay on Rose Island at the Rose Island Lighthouse?? Rescued and renovated after World War 11, by a non-profit group, you can stay overnight,as in a Bed and Breakfast (A boat pickes you up at a wharf in Newport and drops you off with breakfast fare for the morning).Provision yourself before hand for dinner on the island, be prepared to live as the lighthouse keepers did when last the light was operating in the1920's. It is magicial. Google it at Rose Island Lighthouse .com.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Sorry- it's Rose Island Lighthouse.org!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Lolo12, I'm delighted you've officially joined the Huge-Fans-Of-remote-Block-Island club. It is dreamy, isn't it? You can't beat the views, the scenery, the old salt water farms. Aaaah.

I hope you come back for more, either Newport, BI or both!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Great trip report, Lolo. I lived there for a year when my dad was at the Naval War College. I still remember it as one of my favorite places in the USA. Glad you enjoyed the visit.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:29 PM
adeewebstr

My husband's mother's family has a house in Middletown, and I've been going there at least every other year since 1979. I have never heard of staying in the lighthouse, although I know it by sight. Thanks to you I am going to try for a night there for our family.