just back from Maui, good tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second trip to our timeshare at Maui Banyan with husband and kids, 23, 21 and 16. As far as beaches the best and prettiest ones were in South Maui--Ulua, Big Beach, Kamole and at the hotels. We just would park at the hotel and walk through to the beach. We had gone up north last trip to Maui but they were rocky and crowded and lots of traffic so this time we stayed south and had a better time. As far as excursions we really enjoyed the Four Winds to Molokini--good spot, great equipment and terrific crew and food. It was a great trip. Also did kyaking for 3 hours and that was great-no crowds, swam with turtles and actually found it was very relaxing and not alot of work. Captain Steve's rafting also was a fun adventure although a bit overpriced unless you have never seen a dolphin before. They are actually resting when you see them so don't expect alot of action out of them-just swimming around but a nice sight. Don't take this if you have a queasy stomach-several people were sick but I loved the bumpy ride. Rent equipment and a boogie board from snorkel bobs. Take it to Ulua beach -great snorkeling especially if you have the boogie board to paddle out with and hold onto--saves you alot of work. Best restaurants were Maui Taco-good and cheap, Mammas Fish House for a romantic splurge, Sarrentos-although I loved the view more than the food, Tony Romas. We went to the grocery store and got food to cook on the grill a few nights. Make sure you get some pog--it is with the Orange Juice section and comes in a gallon container. Add some dark rum and you'll have a great tropical drink-my favorite!!!Also a great place was the Kehei Caffe--the best breakfast ever and bad ass coffee next door is great for coffee on the go in the morning. My kids rented a jeep and did the road to Hana again but my husband and I passed and spent the day loafing around. They had a good time as always but listen to the radio before you go as wwe heard they closed the road to Hana due to a car accident so they went on the road the back way from South to North and saved alot of time. Buy a styrofoam coller for 6 bucks at the grocery store and pack your own lunches and drinks for the ride. We took the cooler to all the beaches we went to and it was great to have a cold beer on hand. Impress your family and make this great and easy breakfast treat for them. Make regular pancakes. Slice banana over them and then crush up macademia nuts and sprinkle over the top--top with syrup. I also bought a few pineapples at the grocery store and sliced them up and put them on the grill with dinner--yum. Also KKO's on S. Kehei Road across from Kamole Beach was great for a sunset drink and appetizers. Had a great trip--hope you all do the same Jilly
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:11 PM

Good tips - thanks. I could not agree with you more about POG and rum - excellent!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:14 PM

Can you tell me what Pog is please? It rings a bell (either from other posts here, or from last time I was in Hawaii)... but I can't recall what it is!

Thanks!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:43 PM

POG = Passion fruit + Orange + Guava

Very sweet but great for both breakfast and fortified with some good dark rum

Not sure why it hasn't spread to the mainland, our local store has "PO" for sale, now we just need the "G"
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:58 AM
CST

I read some postings that the beaches in Kaanapali were all eroded and not good for taking the kids (we have a 4 year old)...I did a post and hope to get some feedback but since you were just there, do you have any updates if this is true? Also, where is Ulua(sp?) beach...Waimea? I'm looking for a reasonable condo or hotel...in September 2004 (low season). On the BI, I can get the Hapuna at $199/nt. but we're thinking Maui since we haven't been there for decades!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 08:51 AM

CST:
Ulua is a beach in south Maui, Wailea. Great snorkeling. Waimea is, among other things, a canyon and a river on Kauai. The erosion of the Ka'anapali is a seasonal phenomenon.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:03 PM
CST

Thanks, I keep getting Waimea and Wailea mixed up!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 04:10 AM

We were n Ka'anapali just this month and beaches were find. It is particularly wide in front of the Sheraton but it is fine everywhere else.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 05:29 AM
CarlyGold

Parts of Ka'anapali Beach are narrow, and the surf can be rough. Better by Black rock. Thus some hotels are no longer renting snorkle gear. Best to be very careful there, and be aware that people who swim all the way around Black Rock are reportedly very fatigued midway.

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 05:33 AM
bonniebroad

Great tips, Jilly! Made me wish we were back in Maui! Don't you love that POG.........