Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Just back from Hawaii--Had a GREAT time!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 05:08 AM
Becky

This is the second time I tried to post this, so if it's a duplicate I apologize!

Anyway, we went to Hawaii for our wedding and honeymoon last month and just fell in love with it. We stayed at Outrigger Wailea on Maui, Kiahuna Platation on Kauai, and the Lodge at Volcano on the Big Island. Thanks to all of you on the boards who helped me plan, especially Maui Heidi! I posted some of the pictures on my web site, so take a look at them. And if anyone has any questions about our wedding or trip, feel free to email me!

http://www.members.tripod.com/beckysz2/web1.html

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 06:09 AM
Lani

Hi Becky,

Congratulations on your marriage, and I'm so glad your trip was wonderful!

Isn't Hawaii just the best? I'm interested in what you thought of the Wailea area and whether you were happy you chose to stay there, as opposed to other parts of the islands. We'd love more details, by the way, on where you ate and what your favorite sights were!

Again, congratulations & best wishes!

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 09:50 AM
Sandi

Becky,

Wasn't the Outrigger Wailea Resort a great place? I had to reply since I saw you stayed there. I was there July, 1999. It doesn't get mentioned very often, and I think it is a wonderful resort, great value. I know there are some nicer and much more expensive places, but I did not desire to even see those places because I was totally in love with the Outrigger Wailea.

That's all, just wanted to state my opinion.

Sandi

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 12:37 PM
Becky

Yes, I did love the Outrigger Wailea Resort! We were very happy with our choice. The view was beautiful, and we found the location great. We didn't get as far west as Kaanapali, so I can't compare it to that location, but we did drive to Lahaina and after the drive there I was glad we weren't on the west side of the island. Wailea seemed to be a straight shot to most of the activities we did. Speaking of activities, we went on a snorkel trip with Pacific Whale Watch Foundation, which we enjoyed. We rode bikes down Haleakala with Maui Downhill, who we highly recommend, especially if you have Joe and Eric as your guides! And we took a helicopter trip with Blue Hawaiian who were also great.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 08:26 AM
elaine

Becky,
I just got back from my stay at the Grand Wailea resort, and walked through the nearby Outrigger while I was there.
Very nice indeed!
Congratulations

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 10:18 AM
April

HI Becky!
I'm so glad to hear about your wedding and honeymoon in Hawaii and Congrats! I just booked my trip to there as well for my upcoming honeymonn in August. We are ataying at the Outrigger Reef on the beach for 5 nights and then off to Maui. I already e-mailed another prior to you, but it never hurts to get many opinions right?
Would you recommend Oahu to others? Do you think that it would be a good Island for two people in their mid 20's to stay on, who aren't the "sit on the beach all day types"? I'm wondering if I should have booked another island to spend our first few nights/days instead of the "busy" island that we are staying on due to what we like to do. Does that make sense?
Could you please help me out with this one. I don't think that the choices we made were wrong, but I would feel better to find out what other people thought from their own experiences.
Thank you so much for your help!

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 06:34 PM
Cathy

Hi Becky,

I saw your website. The pictures are gorgeous.

Anyway, we are going to Maui, Kaui and BI in May. Just have a few questions for you.

Did you go to the green sand beach in BI? If so, how steep is the hike to the beach?

Did you go snorkeling in Molokini and if so which company did you book with?

How about the Na Pali ocean tour?

Thanks,
Cathy

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 07:54 PM
Becky

Thanks for looking at my web site, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've added a few more pictures of Kauai and Pearl Harbor in case you're interested.

April, We were only on Oahu for one day, so I can't give you much help on your questions about staying there. We chose not to stay there longer because I hear it's so much like a city, and we wanted to really relax on this vacation. If you want a more lively and active area, I'm sure that would be the place to be though!

Cathy, We did go snorkeling to Molokini with the Pacific Whale Foundation. I felt that there were too many people on the tour, if I were you, I'd try to find one with fewer people. The second snorkel site on the trip was much better than Molokini though, it was called Turtle Arches and there were many turtles there to swim around.

While we were on BI, we thought about going to the Green Sand Beach, but it didn't really fit into our schedule. We had done a lot of hiking at the Volcano Nat'l Park, so by the time we had a day to go to the black and green sand beaches, I didn't want to think about hiking any more! I'm really glad that we went to the black sand beach though.

We didn't make it on a Na Pali boat tour, but we did do a helicopter tour around the area. I highly recommend the helicopter tour because it took us right into Waimea Canyon and flew along the Na Pali coast, so it got a lot done in one trip!

Feel free to ask any more questions! I'm so jealous of all of you who are going soon!

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 06:46 AM
carol

The best thing to do in all of Hawaii is the Kauai Na Pali coast sea tour. I recommend Hanelai Sea tours and go on the 5-1/2 hour tour on the white catamaran, more comfortable than zodiacs. Each minute is a thrill and when you go to the beach and hear the history you feel like you have stepped back in time hundreds of years.

I love Waikiki. The hubbub of an international city with all nationalities. Sheraton Waikiki is my favorite for the view, all the Japanese brides, and around the corner down the side street wonderful Portugese french toast at the little cafe. Just to come out of that hotel on the beach and get on the catamaran for a sunset cruise.

I'm booking a return trip now, that's why I came here to visit.