Just a personal gripe

Search

Just a personal gripe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a personal gripe

Well, we here in Seattle are pretty used to the rain this time of year and more or less shrug it off. This year however it's just horrendous. As of today, whereas we normally have about 5 inches of rain in January, we are sitting at wekk over 10. My split entry house is built into a hillside and I now have a small river running through my garage. To make it worse, I woke up this morning to find that the water is now also seeping in through the walls on the other side of the house and my family area rug is a sloppy mess.

Have grown rather used to having webbed feet and even a little bit of fungus on my toes, but this year I've got a crop of toadstools and even a small fern sprouting from beneath the nail of the little toe on my right foot. Something else there too I can't quite identify yet. If it turns out to be a Douglas Fir I'm moving to Arizona!

We NEED a break!

Ken

PS - Thanks for letting me gripe.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Ken,
You need a vacation...I know of a travel board that could help you with some sunny weather destination suggestions ...
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Please send the rain down to us in Texas. We are experiencing a HORRIBLE drought down there, and the 1.5" of rain we got this past weekend was the most we've gotten since Halloween!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Ken, you are entitled to gripe! Having been on the receiving end of severe rain storms with water in our home, I fully understand your need to gripe

I hope, for your sake, that things clear up soon -- especially your toes, lol!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Ellenbw -

Already have a vacation booked. Going to the Cook Islands in April. Just hope I can tread water that long.

Ken
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:39 PM

The Pacific Northwest is so beautiful - we were there 4 years ago. But if I had to live with that rain, I would willingly walk to Arizona. Why isn't everyone in Seattle depressed all the time?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

ChristieP -

Believe me, I would if I could.

Ken
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Go to Detroit and watch the Seahawks in the Superbowl. I hear it's lovely in the Motor City at this time of the year. After lovely Jacksonville last year, the NFL is really on a roll.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:49 PM

I live in Michigan and unfortunately lovely is not a word I would use for Detroit. Greektown is okay(which is downtown Detroit) but that is about it, unless you want to travel waaaayyyyy up north, Detroit is not all that great.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:53 PM

My sympathy is with you...last year, California had more than 20 inches of rain by this time, and it got really old. This year, almost no rain, and we need it, though not like AZ and Texas.
Sounds like a little talcum's in order for your poor feet !
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Used to live in Battle Creek as a kid and went on a school trip to see the Tigers. Two of the girls got mugged in the ladies room.

Ah, lovely Detriot. Hear it's not too much better now.

Loved the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village at Dearborn though. Actually think quite highly of Michigan as state, but the winters are wayyyyyyy to cold and snowy for me.

Ken
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Sorry, Ken, can't help you with the weather, but can offer a cyber-hug and vent all you want if this helps.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Shame on you irishgirl! I too live in the Detroit area and I have seen lots of improvements to the downtown area the past few years! Have you been down to Campus Martius Park? When it comes to Mexican Food you can't beat Mexican Town! There's the DIA and Science Center....much to do outside of Detroit too...like go see the Piston's - they're doing great this year. Dearborn has lots to do - stop by Cheli's for some chili!

Sadly, those from Seattle looking to escape the rain in Detroit at the SuperBowl aren't going to be too happy. It's been cloudy and rainy all day and it's supposed to stay that way throughout the week. Could be worse...could be snowing
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Actually at this precise moment I have some sun at my house and it's not more than sprinkled since mid-morning - but the ground is fully saturated and yet another storm is expected tomorrow.

Ken
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:16 PM

YAY! The sun is shining in Eugene too
we may not have to have a mass evacuation after all. It was hailing
earlier today
AHHHHHHHH! I am sick of it - BUT its still better than having to shovel snow out of your driveway everyday
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM

The sun is shining in southern Oregon today as well but it has still managed to drop quite a bit of rain on us. I do flood damage restoration for a living so I have been very busy lately!

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM

At least when it snows you can sled on it!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Sorry, Ken, about the water problem -- that's discouraging and most difficult.

But, I must say that my husband and I love the climate in the Northwest and never tire of rain and/or snow. Indeed, we moved to the Puget Sound to get away from the boring Sun Belt climate where the weather is monotonous and the sun shines most of the time. UGH.

So, to you folks in other areas, for at least two of us (and many others we know), this kind of weather is simpatico with us! (Just very sorry for anyone who experiences flooding.)
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Tdmort, this is for you. I have indeed been to all and I mean all of the places you listed!!!!! I stand by my original comment about Detroit. A lot of people are going to be disappointed when they come in for the superbowl. Too bad a majority of these so called improvements only happened because of the superbowl. I have been to plenty of big cities and Detroit just isn't all that!!!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We got tired of the rain in Seattle so we went on a (pre-planned) vacation to Israel and LA over the holidays. Y'know - desert and desert.

Rained every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -