Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Junebride again - help with schedule so I can book GCP hotel

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You all have been so helpful tonight! I am trying to plot out the dates so I can book the Grand Canyon hotel tonight. Is this enough time at each place or should I add more somewhere. We have the time to add so please let me know.

June 1 Leave JFK to Phoenix
3 nights at Enchantment Resort
June 4 Leave for Grand Canyon
2 nights anywhere in Park
June 6 head back towards Scottdale
3 nights at Phoenican
Leave June 9th

What do you think?

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Sounds like a wonderful trip. We did almsot the same trip this summer but we also squeezed in Canyon de Chelly between the GC and Scottsdale. We loved Canyon de Chelly and would highly recommend it. I've read some of your other posts and I agree that anywhere in the GC is fine - we stayed at the Yavapai East (whichever is the newer, air conditioned side) and were pleasantly surprised at how nice and clean it was. The shuttle bus runs often and we walked to the rim to see the sunrise. We'd stay there again. I know you want 5 star accommodations but they really don't exist some places in AZ, like the GC. Don't let that keep you away - you miss some great things and they just are what they are. Your time at the Phoenician (we also stayed there) will be your time for pampering, but bring lots of $$!! In Sedona definitely book the Pink Arrow - it's spectacular. And also do some hiking on your own. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I just looked at Canyon de Chelly and that looks great too! I have alot of research to do!!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Your plan sounds fantastic. But I must say, as great as Canyon de Chelly is, I do think it is too far out of your way. From the GC, it will take almost 6 hours straight driving time just to get there. Not to mention then getting back to Phoenix. doing that will pretty much wipe out 2 full days. My vote is for you to stick with the schedule you came up with.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:53 PM

I wasn't really suggesting that you change your schedule, but it's not 6 hours from the GC to Chinle. Mapquest says 4 1/2, and that seems right to me. We spent the entire morning at the canyon, left and had lunch at the Cameron Trading Post which is interesting has good shopping and eating (don't miss the Navajo tacos but don't count the calories either!) and we were easily in Chinle by dinner. The drive to Chinle is awesome, throught the Hopi and Navajo reservattions. YOu do then have to get back to Phoenix, but again we broke up the trip with a drive through the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert and it was easy and scenic. You can drive pretty fast in AZ. BUt in the end it's up to you, we were anxious to see a great deal but it's also great just to plunk yourself down somewhere and relax. You should have a wonderful trip.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 08:22 PM

Actually, I was going by AAA, which has driving time at 5 hours, 35 minutes. And I would expect you would want to stop for something to eat along the way. The point is that it really is an entire day just to get there and see the Canyon. There are several sights to see east of the GC and Flagstaff, but those are probably better saved for another trip. Just too far out of your way, it would seem.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:40 AM

Sounds perfect.