June 2018 cruise in SE Alaska

Aug 2nd, 2017, 04:01 AM
Original Poster
June 2018 cruise in SE Alaska

I am considering a 2 week cruise thru SE Alaska June 2018. I am traveling with husband and 16 year old daughter. Has anyone used an outfitter that they really liked? We only want to be on a small boat for a more intimate and personal experience.
Aug 14th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Are you familiar with Doc Warner's Alaska Adventure? They are a fishing lodge just outside of Juneau. I recently saw them at a tradeshow in Salt Lake City and they told me about these new packages. If I remember correctly, they include activities like kayaking, hiking, fishing, whale watching, lodging, all meals, and transfers to/from the airport.

I fished with them a couple of years ago. The service from the staff and the overall experience was exceptional. I haven't tried their new packages so I can't speak to them specifically. But if it is run by the same team, the experience should be just as great.
Aug 15th, 2017, 03:55 AM
I took a small boat Alaskan cruise a number of years ago with a now defunct operator (Cruise West). I, too, wanted a small boat experience for its intimacy and ability to go places the big ships can't go.

It ended up feeling like a prison. There was no privacy and few on board activities. The excursions were good, but they took up only so much time. Our cruise lasted about five days; I can't imagine 2 weeks. While I enjoyed many of the people I met, it was very much an older set. I think there were only two or three kids out of 70 passengers.

So I'd suggest making sure that there are suffiecient activities to keep you (and your daughter) engaged. I'd also look for flexibility with meals and meal times. There was only set meal times with Cruise West and I felt rather constrained by it.

Just my two cents. I'm sure there are plenty of people who lived their small boat cruise in Alaska. I'd suggest going to Cruise Critic's website too.
Aug 15th, 2017, 05:19 AM
Get off the cruise idea and take a land tour... Denali, the Alaskan railroad, Seward, native culture and wildlife are better seen on land... add a float plane tour to the Glaciers and the Kenai Fjords tour and consider fly fishing, kayaking or hiking...

Cruises are for babies...
Aug 15th, 2017, 06:19 AM
Here's a decent article on small boat cruising in SE Alaska - https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1449 .

Presumably you know yourselves and have done some basic research that revealed, among other things, that these are considerably more expensive on a per-person-per-day basis. And of course, SE Alaska is one small part of a very big, very diverse state, so by focusing on the cruise you're leaving a lot on the table.

Just my personal view, but two weeks might feel like a pretty long time on a small boat in SE Alaska. Again, not meaning to sound judgemental, but what happens if you don't click with the fellow passengers? Or if your daughter is the only teenager on board? I'm just saying you might want to "deconstruct" the time in your mind and see if it's a good fit for your family.

There are other options, too. For example, you can fly to some town in SE Alaska and take short excursions on the state ferry's "feeder" services out to small villages that don't experience the volume of visitors that the cruise stops do. Google Pelican or Tenakee Springs, for example; both are very picturesque places easily reached from Juneau. You could ferry from Juneau to Glacier Bay for local tours, or fly on Alaska Airlines' "milk run" to Yakutat, a Native village located on stunning Yakutat Bay, with awesome Hubbard Glacier at its head.

Or, of course, spend a week on a small boat cruise, then fly up to Anchorage for a second week (or longer if time and funds permit) to drive around Southcentral or Interior Alaska, or even to fly up to the arctic to see the for-real midnight sun, or out to Nome where you can rent a vehicle and explore the Seward Peninsula...

You have lots of options; good luck with your planning!
Aug 16th, 2017, 06:08 AM
Just to chime in again; I totallya agree with Gary and Gardyloo that a land tour would be much more enjoyable.

Again, at the risk of offending Alaska fans, I found much of the scenery on the cruise to be kind of monotonous. It was pretty and it was neat to see seals and whales from the boat but it ultimately wasn't very diverse. I felt like one or two half-day or day long boat trips would have exposed me to more than enough of this part of Alaska. I would have much preferred to put a land/see trip together myself with my own interests and abilities in mind. Yes, it would have taken more work, but I think it would have been much more rewarding.

So, I would encourage you to look at all your options and decide how you and your family would best enjoy Alaska.
Aug 16th, 2017, 07:47 AM
We went on. Lindblad small ship(70) cruise from Juneau to Sitka; Lindblad is affiliated with Nat.Geog.. Before the cruise we spent two weeks in Talkeetna, Denail, Girdwood, Homer, Seward,Anchorage, rented a car at Anchorage airport and returned it there to fly to Juneau.
We loved the whole trip. The ship went to small towns and ports where the large ships don't go. The only time we saw another ship was at Glacier Bay. Four naturalists on board lead twice daily excursions , hikes and trips aboard smaller crafts or kayaks. We saw so many whales and eagles. Wonderful experience!

Search this Thread