Search

July 4th in Boston

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July 4th in Boston

After a week in Camden, ME, we will arrive in Boston on July 4 and fly home on the 6th. Have concentrated on trip to ME and not spent much time planning our brief stay in Boston. We want to enjoy the 4th festivities, but will not arrive until the afternoon...any suggestions for the 4th and 5th?
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 01:19 AM

july4th.org and bostonharborfest.com

The centerpiece of July 4th is the concert and fireworks on the Esplanade - but you can largely forget about this because people rush the Esplanade (the narrow long park along the Charles River on the Boston side) early AM when they open. While it is reported that some people can see fireworks from various places on streets of Cambridge and Boston, it is unlikely you will hear much music.

Depending on how you are arriving, check street closures in sites mentioned above - much of Back Bay is closed due to same fireworks.

The websites also list various activities over the weekend.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 04:18 AM

If you don't absolutely have to see Keith Lockhart and the Pops Esplanade Orchestra, there are plenty of places on the Esplanade from which you can hear the music and see the fireworks.

Gail is quite right that if you want to be in front of the Hatch Shell (bandstand) you would probably have had to arrive the night before.

I haven't been in several years, so I am ready to be corrected, but here are some points to remember:
1. if you don't have a hotel reservation yet, you are probably out of luck;
2. the police are very strict about alcohol possession on the Esplanade, even by two respectable adults who simply want to share a glass of wine for the occasion. This isn't to say that having a glass of wine _outside_ the secure area is impossible, just that you have to be very discreet. All coolers, picnic baskets, backpacks, large purses etc going into the secure area are searched.
3. if you are not staying within walking distance of the event, allow a substantial amount of time to get home by T. Somewhere between 300,000 and 400,000 people may be there, and the great majority left their cars at an outlying T stop. This is a good time to go to a bar and have a drink!
4. at the end of the 1812 Overture, you will hear real cannons, the churchbells of Boston, and see some fireworks. This is not the same as The Fireworks. News video edits it all together into a single seamless event, but there is a delay in real time between the end of one and the beginning of the other. If you know this, it will be less frustrating.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gail and Ackislander, we do have reservations at the Lenox and are turning in rental at airport before coming in to the city. What could we do Monday in the area of the Lenox?
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 08:01 AM
yk

check the 2 websites listed by gail. the first details everything you need to know for the 4th. The second website lists the EXTRA events held on July 5th.

I too agree that if you don't have a place to stay yet, you should book ASAP. There are some deals on Travelzoo for Boston, though I don't know if those deals apply for July 4th weekend. Among the deals, the Courtyard Marriott on Memorial Drive in Cambridge seems to be valid for July4th weekend. (http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/bost...rating=&tppct= ) It's a GREAT LOCATION for fireworks, but not convenient for sightseeing because the closest T stop is almost one mile away - not a big deal if you don't mind walking. If you have a car (I'm assuming you do), you can just drive into town on the 5th. Traffic should be light and you can park at DT garages for
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 08:03 AM
yk

Oh, didn't see your reply before I typed mine.

From the Lenox, you can easily take the Green Line to the downtown area/Faneuil Hall area and enjoy the festivities. There are a gazillion events that day, including Chowder Fest.
http://www.bostonharborfest.com/monday.html
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 12:35 PM

If you haven't had your fill of water in Maine, a harbor cruise would be nice, especially on a hot day. The one to George's Island used to be our favorite. You can get off and picnic or just return right away.

The Lenox is a nice place to stay and very convenient to walk down to the Esplanade to see what's up.

I don't know how much of Boston you know, but walking through the Back Bay and/or South End is pleasant, you can take the B cars on the T to Brookline and walk through Coolidge Corner and/or go to a movie before having an Israeli felafel.

If you want to see a cross section of Boston, you can get on a D car on the Green Line and ride all the way out to 128 through leafy, prosperous suburbs. It's about 45 minutes each way, and you could probably find lunch and an ice cream in Newton Corner, even on a holiday.

Harvard Square is a little tougher because of likely bridge closures. If you haven't been, take the T to Brookline (B or C cars) and transfer to the 66 Bus on Harvard Street.

Just some random thoughts.

By the way, tell us how you liked the Lenox.