Reload this Page >

July 4th - Boston, Philly or DC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:52 AM
wanda

Maybe it's the time of year (4th of July), but we're already planning for next summer. I have lived around Amarillo, TX my entire life and would like to experience a "traditional" July 4th (fireworks, parades, music, maybe the beach), but do not know where to go.

My choices are Washington DC, Philadelphia or Boston. NYC is not being considered (went there last October, besides it doesn't strike me as being very traditional in an Independence Day sort of way).

We'll plan on spending less than a week (2 or 3 in the city, maybe 2 or 3 at a beach or in the country). Any suggestions? Which would you recommend?

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:59 AM
Helen

I live in DC, but have also been to Boston and Philly. I suggest DC or Boston.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:22 AM
Daniel Williams

Any of the three frankly would be good choices. I don't know why Helen excludes Philadelphia; there's supposed to be some free entertainment at the Art Museum, with some big name musicians (although I forget who...Jill Scott is one) and the Ben Franklin Parkway closed off.

Incidentally, I'm not sure why you exclude NYC for July 4th exactly. New York would be equally a good choice and a perfectly TRADITIONAL place to celebrate July 4th, being a older US city and America's largest.

Philly, DC or Boston: you won't go wrong.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:44 AM
D.

Wanda,

Go to Boston! It is a great city with so much history and sights to see. I was there last July 4th and had a great time! I spent 5 days there and was busy sightseeing the whole time. Lots to see and do. Check out these websites...www.july4.org, Bostonharborfest.com, www.bostonusa.com.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:56 AM
nyer

This New Yorker votes for Boston
I actually agree that NYC isn't the most
exciting place for the fourth of July.
I've been to all the other places on the fourth.Philly was Ok, but not great; DC was fun but is often so unbearably hot then that I didn't enjoy myself as much as I could have- (The festival on the mall that the Smithsonian sponsors each year at that time is actually wonderful, though). Thoroughly enjoyed Boston, and the big free , crowded Boston Pops concert then, and (since Boston is perhaps the most compact of the three cities) was able to walk back to my hotel clear across town afterwards and prolong the evning a bit more

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 11:27 AM
Ann

Definitely DC. Shouldn't even be a question. Besides, it's nice and cool here today, and is supposed to be in the low 80s for the next week or so.

Hang out on the Mall, here the National Symphony Orchestra play (Irish Tenors and some other guests, too), watch the fireworks with the Washington Monument as a backdrop. It doesn't get much better. One drawback--you can't bring alcohol onto the Mall any more, as part of a concerted effort to get us to wait in line for 2 hours and pay $8 for watered-down beer.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 12:28 PM
wanda

thanks for the suggestions, but my plans are for next year

I will carefully consider the choices!

thanks again

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 12:34 PM
Jim

Definitely Boston.
DC - 2nd choice
Unfortunately nothing much is to see in my hometown (Philly), unless you're into US history.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 12:38 PM
Leone

Ann, you hammered that nail over the fence ... metaphor city. But I must disagree (slightly) about the alcohol. Your interpretation of the NPS rule is peerless. As is your consumer rating of the beer wagons. You didn't, I am relieved to say, describe the porto-john lines. But some of us, and don't quote me, studiously ignore anything NPS says, and we bring it with us ... and imbibe carefully. I may be the only one ... but that passes not the laugh test. Have a great 4th, and we'll be just SW of the WM if you care to drop by. I'll be with the great looking redhead (well, she had to happen to someone, and my luck is normally pretty okay, and holding, I am so pleased to say). Ciao

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:34 PM
Daniel Williams

OK Morgan Freeman, Jill Scott and Garth Brooks are all participating in this year's Philadelphia July 4th celebrations; there will be fireworks. Don't listen to Jim (where's your hometown pride?); there's some amazing stuff to see and do in Philadelphia outside the historical sites.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 05:08 PM
Beth Anderson

has to be DC.

the Mall is AMAZING on the 4th...

see you there maybe!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:26 PM
Linda

DC and Boston are great! You will not go wrong with either. For music & fireworks, DC. For music, fireworks & beach nearby, Boston.