Reload this Page >

John - New Orleans...

Search

John - New Orleans...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Cathie

John - New Orleans...

Hello John - have had a couple posts that have been answered by Meg - she has gone to great lengths to even check out a hotel that I mentioned and I thank her immensely for that...anyways, she mentioned that you are very knowledgeable on places to stay in N.O. so was hoping you could give me a few possiblities in the French Quarter so I could check out their websites...thanks so much for any help...

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 06:37 PM
John

Cathie, I trust Meg's opinion. She's been a very good addition to both Fodor's and the excellent AOL travel board for New Orleans. I can't say much about Chateau Dupre (from your other post) because I haven't been there. I'm not a Ramada fan, however, so I'd check it out before booking.

When are you visiting N.O.? Do you want a large hotel, small hotel, B&B, or no preference? Any ideas on what you want to do while in New Orleans?

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 07:49 PM
Cathie

John, Thanks for your prompt reply..
I really have no preference on the type of accommodations..probably small hotel or B&B would be a nicer option but really don't have any preference. Would like to stay in the French Quarter. We are coming in June or July and our dates are flexible. Thought that would be a more reasonable time of year. (Right??) We live in Ky so the humidity certainly won't make any difference to us. My husband was in N.O. many, many years ago...I am sure he would cringe at the number...haha..anyways, he has always wanted to take me there and now that our kids are older we are finially going to make it...I would like to see the historical side of New Orleans..old homes etc. so would like info on what the best tours and tour companies would be. Meg gave me some info on places to eat that would be on the casual side which is what we like. Any others would be appreciated. My husband remembers Pat O'Briens so I am sure we will have to go there. Would like to stay 3-4 days so any suggestions of what to do would be great. I hope I have not been too long winded..I am very excited to be coming there and want to get the best advice possible and seems like you are one of the experts..don't want to be one of those Fodor's Posts with a bad experience..
Well, thanks in advance for any info that you can give me..

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 04:07 AM
John

Cathie, you may want to consider a small hotel like Le Richelieu, Place D'Armes, Provincial, etc. B&Bs in the area can be found online at www.marigny.net. If one of the fancier hotels has good summer rates, this may be an option as well even though many of the high-end properties are also a little too large for my tastes.

As far as summer weather, I'd visit in June over July as it does get hotter as you approach August.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 07:02 AM
BB

Hello, wonder if you could help. My husband and I are already booked into Holiday Inn on Royal st - FQ. What I did not realise is that the hotel srarts from the 10th floor. No big deal you may think but I am claustrophobic, which means I'll have to walk god knows how many floors for our 5 night stay there! We are booked in from Feb 23 and I doubt we could find anywhere now but as I am desperate.. would you have any suggestions?
thanks
desperate from London!
B
x

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 07:27 AM
John

BB, the Holiday Inn has several elevators that will take you directly to your guest room floor. The garage is indeed on floors 2-9, with rooms above that. The hotel is currently undergoing heavy construction as they are adding two additional floors to the top. I'd request a room on the lowest floor possible, maybe 10, 11, or 12.

If you are claustrophobic, you may want to avoid Bourbon Street during Carnival!

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 08:04 AM
BB

John, I am fine in crowds just not small confined spaces. Do you think I could find accomodation anywhere else? I just can't do elavators but I am sure they will have stairs, so I guess I'll just have to be fit!
B

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 09:51 AM
John

BB, I apologize. I misunderstood your posting. I didn't realize that elevators were the problem, although I should have thought about that! Yes, it will be a hike up 10 flights of stairs every day! Yikes.

You'll probably lose a deposit if you switch hotels now. My suggestion would be to call them and explain the situation and see what they come up with. I doubt claustrophobia is covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act or any other such law but I suspect the hotel would like to accommodate you best as possible. Maybe even they can find space at a low-rise Holiday Inn nearby?

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 01:37 PM
elaine

Cathie,

Meg certainly is kind, helping me with my endless NOLA posts.

John is the owner of "La Maison Marigny" located on Bourbon St. His property was recently featured in "Travel and Leisure". When I phoned Maison Marigny for reservations, there was no room at the inn. John kindly made an alternative suggestion.
The website for Maison Marigny is:
www.lamaisonmarigny.com

And if John happens to read this, my husband and I might drop by and invite him for cocktails during our stay in NOLA.

I did not realize Meg also posts on another travel board, as I would like to thank her, too.

Hope this helps in your quest for your future NOLA stay.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 04:32 PM
Meg

But I don't post on any other board. There are a couple of Meg's on this forum - maybe it's one of them!

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 05:00 PM
John

Sorry about that Meg! I guess I am confusing my "posters" these days. At any rate, people visiting New Orleans are fortunate as their are several people on this and other boards who are very willing to help!

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 05:23 PM
elaine

Meg,

...and I do thank you for your kindness as you have replied to so many of my endless New Orleans posts!
Thank you very much!!

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Cathie

Thanks John - I appreciate your suggestions...will check everything out..
Thanks to Elaine also. Appears she is a big fan of yours, John.

Not sure if we are talking about the same Meg, though. The Meg that has been so helpful to me does not list her email address on her Posts...

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Judy

I have a reservation at the Radisson in NO and have read on a different post that it is a dump. There isn't any place close to the Convention Center and the IRA convention that I can find for my husband and I and another couple (2 rooms). Is it really awful and if so where can we stay? Thanks, judy