Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Joan, Wayne, TandooriGirl ... please tell me...

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 01:19 PM
bonniebroad

Is there Red Tide affecting Indian Shores Beach right now? What exactly IS it? We are going to be staying across from Salt Water Grill Restaurant starting Saturday ..... I hope I'm worried about nothing ........

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM
bonniebroad

ttt...

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd suggest you re-post w/ a title that actually asks what you want to know. There are probably lots of people on here that know about the red tide - but they won't see your question because it is addressed to specific fodorites.

Joan, Wayne and T'Girl may not be around right now . . . . . .
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 02:54 AM
bonniebroad

Janis, I addressed Joan, Wayne and Tandoori_Girl because I specifically wanted to talk with them if I could since they've been of enormous help to me in the past. But thank you for your reply ... (There are other general postings on here about Red Tide.)

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Hi Bonnie.

red tide is dead fish washing up onto the beach, the stinch of those fish, and a slight stinging and scratching in your eyes, a cough. It can be very bad for people who have respiratory problems. If you stay indoors you are fine.

I live in Tampa, Joan is at Treasure Island, and Wayne I think lives in SP Beach. Your best bet for the current state of the beaches, other than Joan and Wayne, will be the St. Petersburg Times (sptimes.com) or perhaps WFLA.com.

Here's an article in today's sptimes:
http://sptimes.com/2005/06/17/Southp...ating_in.shtml
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 03:03 PM

As you probably have learned, red tide itself is an algae that grows in warmer sections of the ocean or gulf in a more or less unpredictable pattern. The algae poisons fish through their gills and also emits a strong gas that produces a choking effect in most humans. Some people seem not to be affected, but they are a minority. The St Petersburg Times today has a little article about it.

Staying indoors in air-conditioned areas is about the only way to avoid the problem if it affects you. The red tide has been here for a while so it's hard to forecast whether it will remain much longer.

I just drove from St Pete Beach all the way through Treasure Island and up to Madeira Beach and Indian Rocks Beach. I personally found the worst effect to be all through Treasure Island, but there are some problems all the way to where you will be staying.

What we need is a good rain and a bit of a wind shift to push the gas away from the shore. I would guess something will break it up in a few days. Meanwhile, we just have to live with the respiratory distress and the dead fish on the beach (which are cleaned off regularly by city/county workers).

Hope you get this message before you leave. Don't worry too much about it. By the time you arrive, it might have gone away. Good luck, and post some notes after you arrive (if you are bringing a PC).
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Just home from work, bonniebroad. The red tide is definitely present on TI, but further north it seems to be spotty. Here's today's report from the Fish & Wildlife folks...be sure to scroll down and check each individual location. It is arranged north to south, and you will be located between Clearwater Pier and Redington Beach. I'm sending out my beach vibes for you: great weather, strong east winds, no dead fishies, lots of fabulous days ahead!

http://research.myfwc.com/features/v...e.asp?id=12373

P.S. That's the "salt rock grill" not the salt water grill...have fun!
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 03:13 PM
bonniebroad

Hey there good buddies ... thanks for your replies! We are right in the vicinity of Salt Rock Grill. I saw a couple of dead fish as we walked to the water in front of the cottages. I started having a *tickle* in the parking lot. So it's definitely here. Quite a few people are in the water and sitting on the beach, and not seeming to have a problem. I'm taking a determined approach ... just bought throat lozenges with my groceries, and am hoping it doesn't bother me too much! I'll just hope it departs soon, andwe will have to find other things to see/do, if it bothers us too much. It's a shame that we arrive during this mess. but "whatcha gonna doooooooo?" We'll manage ... otherwise, we are very happy with our cottage and everything else!

Old Jun 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Bonnie--I'm glad you arrived OK and are generally pleased with your location. The wind has shifted a bit and is from the north-northwest right now, and I'm thinking the next few days should be improving. We'll cross our fingers and say a little prayer for you. Enjoy your visit.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 05:37 AM
bonniebroad

OKAY .... YUKKY! There are now a LOT of dead fish along the beach, you can see some as the water rolls in, and a guy is out cleaning them up, along with the birds! The water is a little foamy at the edge ...

Breathing, without coughing, outside is difficult for about everybody we meet here. I saw some condo rental people on TV saying they'd refund deposits and not expect people to come or stay after they got here. I haven't heard anything like that from our landlady. What do you guys think should be done in this situation??? My DH is willing to stay and do other things, but I have to say, I'm very disappointed as the beach/water was our very reason for staying here!

Thanks for listening to my whining, guys!

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 05:53 AM
OO

Bonnie, I'm SO sorry that's happening during your stay. I had visions of you out doing nice long walks along the beach. How about an outting further north, where it isn't. Maybe take a drive up to Honeymoon Island...it's so pretty up there, and take the little ferry over to Caladesi Island? Often you can escape it by just going a mile or so from where you are.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 12:29 PM

The drive farther north toward Honeymoon Island might help, and of course you can still visit some of the quaint towns in the area. Go over to Tarpon Springs for a couple of hours and wander around the downtown shops. Dunedin also has a charming downtown.

I'm really sorry this is happening. I know it doesn't help, but this is just about as bad as I've ever seen it, and I keep thinking it can't last much longer.