JFK Terminal 4 to Terminal 8

Sep 25th, 2017, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

JFK Terminal 4 to Terminal 8

Hello,

I am traveling with Emirates to JFK, which arrives in Terminal 4. I will then fly from Terminal 8 with American Airlines. Due to changes in flights, I will only have 2.5 hrs in between flights before takeoff. I am a US citizen & will not have any checked luggage. Will this be enough time to make my second flight? I have read the AirTrain is the best way to commute between terminals. From my understanding, I will have to go through security in Terminal 8. Is this correct?

Thank you!
Anna
Sep 25th, 2017, 11:43 PM

Yes you will have to go through security again and yes the AirTrain is probably the best bet. It is free within JFK and runs frequently.
Sep 26th, 2017, 04:02 AM
J62

You can reduce your risk of making the 2nd flight by checking in online before you leave Dubai. Then you only have to be at the gate before they close boarding, which is about 15min before scheduled departure time.
Sep 26th, 2017, 04:19 AM

All that is correct, and you should have enough time in normal circumstances, but you may not have any time to waste, so don't stop long along the way. What will determine the ease or difficulty of your trip is the immigration and customs halls at Terminal 4. They usually work well, but not always, and if you have an hour-plus wait for immigration and another 20 minutes for customs, then your plans are more difficult.

There are two ways you can really speed yourself along. First, make sure you don't stop for the rest room after landing. Go on the plane so that you can proceed directly to the Immigration hall. An A380 has so many passengers that it's to your strong benefit to be in line sooner rather than later.

Second, if you don't have Global Entry, then I'd strongly recommend the app Mobile Pass. You register your US passport and take a picture of yourself when you install the app; then you fill out the customs form after you land while you are still in the plane on the way to the gate. When you arrive in Immigration, you get to go through an expedited line (but no expedited line for Customs, as Global Entry passengers get). It definitely saves time and it's free.
Sep 27th, 2017, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

These are great tips! Will download the app now!