Search

Jewish food

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 08:53 PM
moira munro

Jewish food

we will be in new york in November I must have the best authentic Jewish food there is, any suggestions

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 04:54 AM
x

Ratner's on the lower east side for a dairy meal.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 05:20 AM
rqf

2nd Avenue Deli

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Mary

Hi Moira, For real jewish food, not just deli, try Sammys Romainian Steakhouse. I think thats the name, its either in or near the lower east side. Its so authentic, that it scared off my kids, although the veal chop was good.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:13 AM
al

Go to the following site:

www.newyork.citysearch.com

On the list down the left side, click on 'restaurants by cuisine';
On the next screen, click on 'kosher'.

Behold. Many to choose from.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:33 AM
xxx

Definitely 2nd AVenue Deli (2nd avenue at 10th street), rather than
Carnegie Deli or the like. Much more than sandwiches, they have Roumanian steaks etc too (was just there this week...)

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:57 AM
stan

Sammy's Romanian Steakhouse is really expensive. Personally, I thought the place was dirty and the whole concept, asinine.
There are plenty of great deli's. Barney Greengrass on Amsterdam & 81st or the Second Avenue Deli (2nd Ave @10th St.) are among the most well known.

As you are a tourist, I'll recommend Carnegie Deli in Midtown. woth at least one visit if you have never been.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Miriam

Barney Greengrass is a different kind of
Jeiwsh food, the 'apeetizing" store_ No meat deli products but lots of smoked fish, cheese blintzes, etc. You can also buy takeout there or at Zabars or Murrays Fish shop on Broadway nearby.
2nd avenue deli would be my choice for the deli part of the equation. It is better than Carnegie or Stage deli, more authentic, and somewhat cheaper I think,
It isn't exactly near most tourist attractions, but if you're going specially for the food, its worth the not so long trip from midtowm

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 12:00 PM
steve

2nd Avenue Deli - 2nd Avenue and 10th Street. Corned beef or pastrami sandwich on rye with mustard. Also try the chopped liver.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Rachel

2nd Street Deli is great. Go on a Sunday and do some shopping in the Lower East side while you're there. great bargains to be had and it's a real experience. Carnegie Deli is good to, as is the Stage Deli, in the same area of Carnegie. Be prepared for NYC size sandwiches (can easily feed 2) and prices too ($10-12 per sandwich). Bring cash-some don't take charges. I've been told that 2nd street deli will send a salami to your son in the service too. Enjoy!!!

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 01:02 PM
jhm

I'm assuming by Jewish food you mean deli, not necessarily kosher, but "kosher-style" (whatever that may mean). I would go with everyone who is suggesting Second Avenue Deli above and beyond Carnegie Deli. Carnegie Deli is comparatively overpriced, and I wasn't particularly impressed by the food there.

Other suggestions: Katz's Deli is the deli where Sally had her fake orgasm in the movie "When Harry Met Sally...". It's at 205 East Houston Street and Ludlow. Good food if you are not concerned with whether or not it's actually kosher, and comparatively inexpensive.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Curious

I'm curious. Can someone please explain the concept of Sammy's Romanian Steakhouse?

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 05:04 PM
ilisa

If you want authentic Jewish food, you need to find a place that is certified Glatt Kosher (not just kosher). Places like Carnegie Deli (which will not hesitate to put cheese on your meat sandwich) are not kosher. A pastrami on rye is not inherently Jewish. Also, keep in mind that there really is no such thing as Jewish food, just like there is no such thing as Catholic food. What you perceive to be Jewish food is actual regional tastes, depending where the person is from. My family is from Greece. To me, Jewish food is my grandmother's spinach pie.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:48 PM
synet

Ratner's is no more, it is now a cocktail lounge. There is a difference between Jewish food and kosher food it can be both. Jewish style cooking doesn;t have to be kosher.
For Deli, 2nd ave deli is the best or try Arties on the upper west side.