Reload this Page >

jelly fish in August in Virginia Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 12:08 PM
kandy

Planning a trip to VA Beach in mid-August and just heard from someone that this is jelly fish season. Anyone ever heard of this?

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Jan

Anyone have any info on this??

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:50 AM
Kris

I can't speak for Virginia Beach, but I grew up in Newport News and we vacation at the Delaware beaches all the time. From mid-July on, yes, it's jellyfish season. Some days aren't so bad, some days are, depending on the water temperature (the warmer, the worse). Obviously it doesn't deter thousands of people, but I've never been able to understand why people choose a beach vacation in August in these areas given the problem. Guess I'm just a wuss.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:55 AM
hey

I grew up on the coast and, trust me, in August we worry much more about potential hurricanes than we do about jellyfish (or, more painfully, Portugese man-of-war stings -- much worse than jellyfish!).

Jellyfish aren't a constant, daily thing -- they wash up in two- or three-day periods, maybe two or three times during the summer. It's not a big deal.