January weather in Maine?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of getting away to Maine as a surprise birthday gift for my husband before we move south. It has been a favorite getaway of ours. The problem is, his birthday is in January. How bad is the weather for that time of year? I expect snow and cold, and I'm fine with that, providing we are able to get around. Our destination will be Camden. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 11:06 AM

It will surely be cold, may be snowy, could be very, very dreary. Fresh snow, of course, is really beautiful. And, the roads are always cleared very quickly.

We loved the Camden Harbor Inn! Our room was huge, gorgeous, and had a fireplace. Breakfasts (full with many choices) were terrific. Entire staff really helpful and friendly.

Even should you get snowed in for a while, there's plenty of fabulous dining and shopping within walking distance. Our favorite dining places are Atlantica, Francine Bistro, and Natalies on the Mill (which would be fabulous for a birthday celebration).

Old Nov 20th, 2005, 11:14 AM

You said it - cold. and very possibly snowy. If you don't mind that, and bundling up, there are plenty of places w/ fireplaces to warm up and there's nothing like a cozy new england inne or leisurely lunch - and great dining as previous poster mentioned. There are a few museums and shops, so if that will keep you happy it works -you can even walk the beaches if you're dressed for it! do you ski? snowshoe? any outdoor winter activities? If not, and just a restful visit and nice innes and dinners suffice, just dress for it.
And no matter how far south you are going, you can always surprise him again with a get away in the spring/summer/fall when being outdoors for beaches/lighthouses/parks would remind you of Maine w/out the cold ! Bring your ear muffs in January
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I hope everything isn't closed up! That probably sounds bizarre. Obviously people live up there all year long, but last time we were there, we kept hitting places that were closing that weekend, or, had just closed and would remain so till April! I plan to stop along the way, along the coastline. Wondering if this will be a mistake. I will enjoy having less traffic, but not if there is nothing open! Also, does anyone know if lobster is as readily available during off season?
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:58 AM

Average high in Jan is 29F, average low is 10F. Precipitation is 5in, but you know about weather - you may be hit with a snow storm that dumps 10in, you may be hit with nothing but sunshine.

I think a lot of people in the tourism business - hotels, motels, B&B, souvenir shops, etc - actually do not stay in Maine year round. Many do go south in the winter for 2nd jobs or just escape the weather. Not everybody, but enough. Others actually live elsewhere and go up there for summer jobs.

Tourism is a very siginificant part of the Maine economy in the middle and upper coast, so during winter, it's not surprising that things close as there are few tourists.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:26 AM

I can't vouch for what will or will not be open, but I am sure Maine has several web sites for tourism that would list months/hours of different attractions and it would probably be a good idea to check those out.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 08:25 AM

I happen to like Maine any time of year, even January. How flexible is your destination? I think you will indeed find more winter closures up there than, say, more southern Maine like Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, York. You may well run into some January thaw days--bright and sunny.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 08:41 AM

Hi LoisL,
My mother lives in Ogunquit Me., which is a little further south down the coast from Camden and mostly open at that time of the year. The snow belt starts up a little further north of Ogunquit starting around Portland and north/west. Occasionally, Ogunquit/Kennebunkport does get some snow but not nearly as much as Camden and north. Unless your looking at a total nor' easter, Camden shouldn't be too bad however, being on the water. I do know though that there's not a lot open at that time of the year in Camden unlike Ogunquit, Kennebunkport or even Portsmouth NH. which is where I can rec. some places if interested.
Best of luck;
Sherry
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 08:50 AM

p.s. I'll ask Mom about the lobster at that time of year. If I recall, it's molting time for the lobs. and they aren't as good in a softer shell.
Sherry
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:55 AM
Pis_Pistofferson

What's the weather like?

Pis

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 12:39 PM

Camden is more a year around town and not so much a summer destination as Ogunquit and others. MBNA has a large office there of year-round employees, for example.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM

If there's a storm, your travel might be slowed or delayed until the roads are cleared, but the next day you'll likely get to enjoy brilliant sunshine sparkling on the new, white snow. Just be sure to bundle up!

Camden in the winter:
http://www.mainestay.com/activities.cfm

The Camden Snowbowl is home to the U.S. National Tobaggon Campionships. If you don't ski, try a ride down the tobaggan chute: http://www.onthesnow.com/ME/96/

More here: http://portlandme.about.com/library/weekly/aa121298.htm

It'll be winter so you could experience anything from crisp and cold to a blizzard to above-freezing temperatures. Enjoy the adventure as you make yourselves some memories.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:10 PM

Hello again,
The weather in S. coastal Me. is more akin to the weather in Boston and close to Cape Cod weather minus the sometimes heavy winds. One however, never knows. Last year was a killer snow year for all those on the coast including my location which is close to Newport RI - first time we've ever had to shovel - usually by the next day snow has melted. People usually don't see too much snow on the coast in New England unless in the snow belt areas.
Many towns in S. Maine over the last 5 years or so have tapped into the ever increasing tourist population and influx of growth due to now being on the train lines and closeby outlets. Lots of places are actually quite open now for the most part, all year long - unlike various places north of Portland. I also gather that as S.Maine is a close enough commute from Boston and surrounding areas that it's very easy for people to get to who have the winter blues - I think more and more people are realizing this.
We have spent lots of time staying at hotels, B+Bs, and at Moms for a change of pace all year long.
Another wonderful winter location that stays active in the winter as well is Newberyport (sp.), Mass. a little further south of S. Maine and NH - you can even get lobster there. Although the beaches aren't as expansive as further north, it's a lovely place with lots to do.
Peace;
Sherry
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all, for the responses and helpful comments! I know that Jan. is far from the perfect time to head to Maine, but, having spent much time in the Boston area during winter visits to a daughter in college, I'll have some idea what to expect. My experiences regarding Maine have only been in fall [from Sept. to Nov.], and it dismayed me to see how much closes up, even then. It was my experience that there were more things seasonally closed along the southern coast of Maine, than further north. It's good to hear that the weather should be more or less the same as the Boston area. It gives me a realistic idea of what to expect. [not that it's necessarily a GOOOD thing!!]

Ironically cybor, one of my more harrowing Northeast experiences involves a stay in Newport, RI, in early Dec. a couple years ago, when a noreaster hit. We were staying at the Hyatt, which juts out in the water, and we wondered if we would be able to leave! It certainly was beautiful in the snow though!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:38 AM

The weather will be the weather.The lobsters are available year round.the lobster coops evan pen them up to fill winter demands.The best part it is shrimp season and nothing is better than fresh shrimp just off the boat with eggs and all.Taste like candy.Maine people will sit on the beach on sunny days regardless of the temps.No bitting bugs in winter.If it snows the roads will be clear in no time.The small towns do a great job of clearing the road ways. It is in the big cities that it gets clogged up.There is not much to do if you have to be entertained.Don't ask the locals what to do because they are all to busy doing what they do. Say hi to Bert if you see him on the Blue Bird.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:18 AM

I have a slightly different suggestion here -

Have you considered going up to fabulous Quebec City for the Ice Festival? It really wouldn't be much further than Maine and would be much more exotic and interesting. I've been to some pretty romantic places (including Bora Bora and several other romantic tropical islands in the South Pacific) and I think that the old town area of QC is one of the most romantic places I've ever seen. It's an old walled european-style city - that's right, a WALLED city, with real old fashioned city walls, crooked little alleyways, fabulous shopping and to-die-for dining and a world-class festival at the end of January and beginning of February.

The Ice Festival is a MAJOR tourist draw so you might have problems getting accomodations (and they won't be cheap) - especially in the desirable old section of town but you can rest assured that there will be PLENTY to see and do and ALL the restaurants and shops will be open.

Look here for information on the Festival:

http://www.carnaval.qc.ca/

Here's some photos of our trip to QC:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lordbalfor

Visiting QC is like being Europe - and I know Europe (I spent half my childhood there). The old section of QC is in my opinion the most romantic city in all of North America. It would be a trip your husband would never forget.

Seriously, give it some thought - but don't delay, places book up early for this.

Ken
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:33 AM

PS - There is a video about the festval (actual name is the "Winter Carnival) here (viewable if you have a fast internet connection - just give it a couple of minutes to load):

http://travelvideo.tv/videos/quebec/...ivalvideo.html

Ken
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 09:16 AM

Hi LoisL,
What luck, being in Newport in a N'eater. Good for you making the best of it though. Usually the whole town closes down when there's a speck of snow - my husband and I are from central New England and usually love to go out in storms in search of a cocktail but can't find anything due to closures around Newport - they don't have there own plows and have to wait for other communitees or private trucks to come forward - the weather is so weird and hard to predict lately everywhere. We live a couple towns north of Newport and are in a completely different micro climate and hardly see snow. As we drive to Providence we will actually hit 3 more micro climates which get harsher and harsher in the winter and hotter in the summer.
At any rate, I do hope you find a wonderful location wherever you end up this winter for you and DH to enjoy.
Sherry
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, once again, for the feedback. I appreciate the websites for Maine, and will check them out. I love the beauty of the Maine coastline, and actually hope for a 'little' fresh snow. We will enjoy taking some brisk walks no matter what. One of my favorite moments in the Newport noreaster, was walking out in it, with very few people out and about. It was surreal.

The Quebec City recommendation will be kept in mind for a future visit. It certainly is appealing, but I'd want more time than we have for this trip. Besides, there are some special memories we have of our past Maine trips, and that will add to the charm of this birthday celebration.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 07:05 AM

Lois, one more recommendation if you do end up in the soutern part of Maine: visit Laudholm Farm in Wells; it was a home and working farm at one point, and is now a national park (I think). It's acres of beautiful land part of which are on the ocean. The trails are wonderful--anytime of year. And I think they are open until sunset. I'm sure they have a website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -