January trip to San Antonio

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 05:28 AM
Kristy

January trip to San Antonio

I am taking a short trip to SA in January. Would like to know how San Antonio is doing after ther flooding. Also what is the weather like that time of year? How should we pack? Can you go on the River in Jan.? I Dress casual?

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 08:14 PM
Linda

San Antonio always has some flooding after big rains (not this big) but don't worry about that being a problem. It is usually in the 40's (could be as low as 30's or as high as 60's). I lived there for 4 years & it snowed once. Yes, you can go on the river & be sure to take the river boatride. Also, if you are there on a Sunday, go to the mariachi mass at Mission San Jose at noon. SA is pretty casual. Will Rogers called it 1 of the 5 unique cities in America--much Hispanic & German influence. Lots of good restaurants--Mi Tierra at the Market (Mercado) is a tradition for locals & tourists alike. They have bus trolleys to take you around so you don't need your car much in downtown. The Institute of Texan Culture is nice. Check the SA Chamber website for more information & discount coupons. Have fun! Sic' Em Bears!

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 08:15 PM
Linda

San Antonio always has some flooding after big rains (not this big) but don't worry about that being a problem. It is usually in the 40's (could be as low as 30's or as high as 60's). I lived there for 4 years & it snowed once. Yes, you can go on the river & be sure to take the river boatride. Also, if you are there on a Sunday, go to the mariachi mass at Mission San Jose at noon. SA is pretty casual. Will Rogers called it 1 of the 5 unique cities in America--much Hispanic & German influence. Lots of good restaurants--Mi Tierra at the Market (Mercado) is a tradition for locals & tourists alike. They have bus trolleys to take you around so you don't need your car much in downtown. The Institute of Texan Culture is nice. Check the SA Chamber website for more information & discount coupons. Have fun! Sic 'Em Bears!

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 08:36 PM
andrea

I have lived in san antonio for 27 years. I have to comment on what Linda wrote. January is probably our coldest month. But, the weather could range from 20 degrees to 80 or so. Last January we hardly needed a warm jacket. Be sure to check the weather ahead of your trip. Last several winters have been very mild!
You can go about as casual as you want unless you plan on fine, expensive dining. I'd be prepared for shorts or warmups. The Riverwalk is enchanting and has an enormous variety of place to shop and dine. I recommend RioRio (huge Mexican portions and not so touristy as Mi Tierra) and County Line BBQ (best in the world).
After effect of flood are no problem. This was a freak event! Clean up is underway and you won't even notice that it happened. The frequent floods Linda mentioned are only in low water crossings after torrential rains. You should not be affected. It has not snowed here in around 11 years. They say it snows about every 10 years. It has only happened about 3 times in my 27 years.
Enjoy your stay!

Old Nov 19th, 1998, 11:59 AM
Deborah

Currently living in San Antonio, and I agree about the weather--who knows?? But yes, Jan is one of the coldest months.
Try eating at Boudro's down on the RiverWalk. Great food w/ a southwestern twist! Also consider Sunday brunch (or any day lunch) at the Guenther House...
We love taking visitors out to Fredericksburg. A quirky mix of wildwest Texas, Mexican influence and Germany!
But that is a bit of a drive...

If you like museums, I suggest the Witte and also the McNay--check when you get in town for current exhibits; lots of fun.

San Antonio is cleaning up after the flood, but it is mostly the outlying areas, not in town so much.
Have fun!