Reload this Page >

Jacksonville Shopping and Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 05:56 PM
Stu

I'm stayin in Jacksonville for 2 days in November and was wondering if someone could recommend somewhere in $75 a night.

Also what are the best places to shop, Jacksonville Landing?

Thanks

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 07:55 PM
lena

Good question. I've been to JAX several times and have not figured out where there's a nice part of town. The Landing area appears to be the best and safest. There are hotels there. I would be real careful outside of there. It doesn't appear to be great areas. I have friends up there and they basically agree that unless you're out in the suburbs JAX isn't a great tourist place. The Landing is nice, small but lively.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 04:53 AM
J T Kirk

Head to area called San Marco. It's near the river, heading to downtown. Some nice shops and restaurants. Also, there's a nice neighborhood to drive thru which borders the river.
One thing J-Ville really lacks is good hotels. I prefer to stay at the beach. There's a nice Marriott down at Ponte Vedra. I'm not sure of the price, though.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 06:40 AM
kimbuys

I go to JAcksonville 4-6 times per year on business. I can recommend to malls: The Avenues and Regency Square, I prefer The Avenues. I would also recommend staying at the Adam's Mark Hotel or the Jacksonville Marriott - even if it means spending a little more than $75 per night. There are some bad areas of JAX I would stay away from. Can't be of much help to you with restaurants, as I always get room service in this city as I am not as comfortable here compared to other cities.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Dennis

The Omni Jacksonville Hotel and the new Adam's Mark Hotel are within walking distance of Jacksonville Landing. The Radisson and Hilton are across the river from the Landing. (The Hilton and Radisson are also at the northern end of the San Marco neighborhood). The Hampton Inn at 1331 Prudential Drive is in the same area as the Hilton and the Radisson and would most likely have rates around $75 a night.

The Landing is really more of an "entertainment center" -- it has some specialty shops, but it's more known for dining. If you'll have a car, The Avenues mall is on U.S. 1 at I-95. The Avenues has the same stores as the two other main malls (Regency and Orange Park) plus Williams-Sonoma, Abercrombie & Fitch and Parisian. There are two outlet malls on I-95 in St. Augustine.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 07:57 AM
Ed

Stu-try the Omni, like they said. FOr shopping, San Marco and the malls mentioned are the best options.

For restaurants-got to Michael's or Bistro Aix, both in San Marco.