Reload this Page >

Jacksonville...Is it OK?

Search

Jacksonville...Is it OK?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Stu

Jacksonville...Is it OK?

Hi, I'm staying in Jacksonville for two days and driving to Tallahasse to watch FSU vs NC State.
Everything I've heard about Jacksonville is not great.
Could any one give me good news and what is the drive like to Tallahasse?

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Linda

The drive from Jacksonville to Tallahassee is B-O-R-I-N-G! But it's interstate all the way and is a good road!A nd that's the best news I can give you. If you have time, go over to St. Augustine--a wonderful place to spend a day.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:52 PM
kay

Jacksonville is a decent place to stay. What have you heard is bad? Are you looking for hotel advice? Restaurants? Please let me know what you are looking for. I lived there for 6 years and go back frequently.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Andrew

I moved away from Jax on purpose, however, it's great if you A) like the outdoors, and B) can live with the heat and humidity. Check out the beach (best is Ponte Vedra or South PV, avoid Jax Bch and Neptune); or charter/rent a boat and go fishing offshore, in the Intercoastal, or in Julington Creek (brackish, nearly fresh). St. Augustine is a good day trip (30 miles), but avoid the tourist traps (Ripley's, Old Jail, Fountain of Youth). When you set out for Tallahassee, load up the CD changer, set the cruise control for 75, and take care not to fall asleep, because there is not even a hint of a curve or significant landmark on I-10 between there and Jax. Have fun ---

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 08:43 AM
CAROL

I found Jax beach beautiful and clean, with lots of restaurants, night clubs etc. Stayed at the Holiday Inn.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 11:51 AM
xxx

I would go for one day at the beach (what the hell, you're in Florida) and another day in St. Augustine. I agree with the other poster, skip the really touristy stops like Fountain of Youth, etc. Just walk up and down the streets (get a walking tour map) and enjoy the architecture, have lunch - it's a great place.