Reload this Page >

Jackson or Littleton???

Search

Jackson or Littleton???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 08:30 AM
terry

Jackson or Littleton???

Jackson or Littleton which is a better base for seeing the White Mountains. Will be staying 2 nights and seeing the surrounding area, before going back to Boston. Will be coming from Woodstock, Vermont.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 11:10 AM
bm

While both towns are quite lovely, I think I'd choose Jackson over Littleton. Jackson is a "resorty/tourist" community that has much more to offer along the lines of lodging/dining than Littleton. Jackson is also in the heart of the Whites and most "attractions" will be right at your doorstep.
Littleton is a nice little town too, situated on the eastern edge of the Whites. Not a "touristy" town at all like Jackson is. Good location if you're interested in exploring Franconia Notch. Not as much choices for dining/lodging as Jackson.
Another town to consider would be Lincoln.
If you do end up staying in Littleton and would like some recommendations on things to see/do, where to eat etc. just post back!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Sandra

Terry,

Jackson is a delightful New Eng. village complete with covered bridge. On your way from VT you might want to plan on going over Route 112 the Kangamagus HWy - a very scenic route which takes you into No. Conway. There is a road to bypass the busy Route 16 that you would take North to Jackson. The road is West Side rd and you take a left onto it in the village of Conway - it parallels Route 16 and you avoid all the Outlet shoppers. Another nice route is route 302 - very nice scenery which would take you through the Franconia Notch area.

I'm not too familiar with Littleton but I do like that area of the White Mountains better - it's quieter than the No. Conway/Jackson area but there is still plenty to do. The Woodstock/Lincoln area is a little So. of Littleton and that area has lots of places to stay, restaurants and is really beautiful. That's where you would see the Old Man in the Mountain, the Flume, and lots of nice hiking. Just no Outlet shopping/malls etc.

I guess it depends on what you want...they are both very nice areas.

Enjoy -

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Terry

Thank you for your replies.

We live in the greater Los Angeles area and this will be our first time to New England. We prefer to be in non touristy area and we're not big shoppers, also would like to get the feel of small town New England, so will probably be staying in Littleton. Right now we are looking at the Thayer's Inn. It's right in town and hopefully just a walk to dining. Anyone ever stayed there?

Any information regarding hotels/motels or dining would be appreciated.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:44 PM
bm

Hi Terry,
Littleton is a good choice then! You say you'll be in Woodstock-keep in mind that that is a very touristy town in itself! But it's really nice and you should have a great time.
Back to Littleton, I havent stayed at the Thayer's Inn, but grew up in the area and am familiar with it. It's right downtown. Couldnt have a better location. Be sure to check out the Village Bookstore. Across the street is the Oasis-good food and micro brews. Down the street is the Beal House Inn (I'm pretty sure thats the name of it)- friends have told me that it's restaurant is excellent. I havent had the opportunity to try it yet, so I can't comment on it personally. Littleton is a neat little town-I think you'll enjoy it!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Terry

thanks, bm