Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Jackson Hole: Rustic Inn, have they completed upgrades?

Jan 28th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

I know they were still fixing up the place last year, but anyone have the latest on this place now?

I'm considering a stay there in early/mid September. The website certainly paints a wonderful picture.

Though most were positive, the negative Trip Adviser reviews mentioned a nice river view that was spoiled by an old RV park or something right across the river. Others mentioned water pressue and rude hosts?

Thanks for the help.
Jan 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM

I stayed there in October for one night. I thought it was fantastic. There were no renovations going on that I could see. I stayed in a creekside room on the far backside of the property (look at the map on the website) and the view was across the small stream and right into a mountain. Not much of view, but a nice one -- and not into a RV park. I would recommend that room. I chose the property based on the website as well, and I think it lives up to the pictures.

The bar and restaurant looked fantastic as well, although I did not eat or drink there. (I wish I had.) The free hot breakfast had many selections and was great.

I had no problem with the water pressure and no problem with the staff.

The reference to an RV park is interesting. I spoke to a local and was told that the property used to be a mobile home park. In fact, it apparently is still classified as one, which provides some sort of financial break for the owners. He said the cabins on the creek are actually mobile homes. But if so, they are mobile homes in name only, because they are beautiful and seem permanent to me.
Jan 28th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi seven.

Was your cabin on the south side of the complex or the north side where the creek bends a bit.

In looking on google earth, it looks like that side of the property (north section) might be overlooking some piece of land with some type of trailer park on it.
Jan 29th, 2009, 05:44 AM

I see what you're looking at.

I was on the south side, in one of the southernmost cabins overlooking the creek. So there may still be a mobile home park on the north. However note that the picture on Google Earth was taken before the renovations, so something might have changed.

You might call and see if you can ask for a room on the south side. If you look at the schematic map on the hotel website, you'll see that there are 4 creekside buildings that are larger in that area, which I believe is because they are a different room (king bed v. doubles, etc.). I stayed in one of those buildings in a room with two double beds.
Jan 29th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks seven. What a help to have someone who stayed there recently!

I will call them and request one on the south side.
Jan 29th, 2009, 02:12 PM

No problem.

You should note, however, that the view from the cabins on the southside is just into a hill across the creek. It is not an expansive, breathtaking view. It's nice, but not like you are on top of a mountain.

The real draw for this hotel in my opinion is the inside of the rooms and the restaurant/bar. Also, the price is not bad.
Jan 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks seven, I saw that mountain. But I figure it's still nice sitting on the porch and looking at the stream and mountain as compared to the street or another building, so we'll give it a try.

That's the one thing about lodgings in Jackson though. I can't find any that offer a really great view.