It's gotta be the shoes!

Search

It's gotta be the shoes!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's gotta be the shoes!

To quote Mars Blackmon from "She's gotta have it" and the Nike commericals with Michael Jordan, "It's gotta be the shoes."

It's not a fashion question, but a packing question.

I'm heading out for my cell phone free vacation (well, I hope cell phone free) and my packing list includes more shoes than I would normally take. I'll need general purpose shoes (sneakers) and hiking boots (wearing on the plane) and cowboy boots for horseback riding (requirement) and flip flops for the pool.

I would love to pack all of the shoes and clothes in my 22" rollersuitcase, but it looks like I might not be able to do this. I will have washer-dryer available so I can take less clothing, but the shoes requirement for my moster-sized feet are killing my pack light mantra.

So, I'm asking for help from all the people who pack a lot of shoes, how to do you it? And remember, I have to carry the bags, so no cheating by saying you have someone carry bags for you.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:53 AM

I put them in a second bag that slips on top of my 21 inch rolling suticase (mine came as a set, but you can use any one that will slip over your handle and stay on the 21 " bag without flopping around to the side).
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 08:39 AM

ncgrrl, Ariat makes a pair of riding boots that look like lightweight hiking boots but have a defined heel. I think you could replace your cowboy boots and hiking boots with these, unless you are doing some serious backpacking. That would give you one less pair of shoes.

But shoes are the one thing I am unwilling to cut down on because I like to have a few changes. I usually take 3-4 pair on any trip, and use a slightly larger rolling case (23" but it has an extra front compartment that I can get 3 pairs of shoes into).
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 09:12 AM
E

Wish I could help, but I, too, would like to hear some ideas! Packing shoes is a royal pain, especially when one's needs are dictated by practicality and not fashion. I usually try to wear the heaviest/bulkiest pair on the plane (as you're doing), which is already no fun, and that's my one and only tip...
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 09:18 AM

I also ride on vacations, so bought riding boots that are also good for light hiking duty.

Of course it's probably way too late for you to do that this year, so I recommend mailing the boots ahead. Wear the sneakers or flip flops on the plane so you don't keep setting off the security line alarms!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

'Backpacking' sounds like exercise and work, two things I don't want to do on vacation. Even 'walking' sounds to harsh. Maybe I'll amble in the woods.

Horseback riding is one of the main events for the trip and I found a pair of semi-cowboy boots (more fashionable than what a real cowgirl would wear for work) a while back. Amazing thing is I found them on sale at the mall. They had a couple of scuffs so I talked the store manager into an additional discount (I guess 20-year-olds don't know how to polish shoes).

I think a bigger concern should be, um, foundation wear. Any suggestions for a quality, supportive sports bra?

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 09:29 AM

That's gonna depend a LOT on your size, dear! I wear Champion a size too small -- bondage for bobbing breasts!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:09 AM
GoTravel

I always take another bag in addition to my 22 inch pullman and have enough room to put my handbag inside the second bag.

This way I have room for my shoes and any gifts I may bring back without having to check baggage.

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 11:25 AM

I try to wear the heaviest shoe and carry the rest in two suitcases. I slide a couple pair in with Husbands clothes ( he only takes two pair, wears one) so there is room. But for a trip like yours, I would wear the general purpose shoe ( why sneakers?)pack the boots in seperate bags if possible and carry the flipflops in your purse
Or skip the flipflops and buy a pair there, they are so cheap and leave them there when you come home~
Have fun!!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 11:26 AM

I find that my sneakers are too bulky and don't pack well. I have started to pack a good pair of casual shoes instead - mine are Cole Haan. More comfortable than sneakers and less bulky too. But definately bring more than one pair of shoes. I made the mistake of bringing 1 pair of sneakers on a trip to WDW with tons of walking. I would have killed for my Cole Haans by the end of the trip - I really needed a change. The sneakers have never come on a trip since.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Ah, shoes. Believe it or not, I only own about 12 pairs. So I have always looked in wonderment at the people with questions about how to pack 20 pairs of shoes for a weekend trip.

A little history: my feet are large and wide and you would think with such a great amount of surface contact I wouldn't be a klutz, but I am. I also have some other condidtions that makes me want to have a more supportive shoe. Flats are fine when I'm sitting in my cube, but aren't for more than walking from office to car.

I own one pair of heels and the last time I wore them was at my brother's wedding. If I could have gotten away with flat, you bet I would have. These shoes might end up at Goodwill soon because I'm never going to wear them again. (Anyone wants/needs a Bridesmaid dress that matches?)

Sneakers are my general purpose shoes because they are comfy and I can get the support I need/want. I'm not going anyplace fancy so I don't need 'dress up' shoes. I'm also doing some walking that doesn't require hiking boots.

Hiking boots for, well, hiking (and as I stated earlier, hiking is being generous, more like ambling in the woods). Since the terrain is rougher than a sidewalk, I would like something with ankle support. If desperate, I'll eliminate these and get by with the sneakes alone. Would prefer to take them in case I have to 'amble' through a creek.

Cowboy boots are required for the horseback riding segments of the trip. I've been walking around the house and went on errands a few times in them and I haven't fallen flat on my face yet.

Flip-flops to wear the to pool or around the hotel room so my sneakers won't get pool water wet.

And I have been on trips where my feet swelled on the overnight plane ride and the shoes that were comfortable before the plane ride became unbearable. So no new shoes for a trip, give me something reliable.

And finally, thanks to Marilyn, I now know what to do with tight fiting bras.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 12:33 PM

You might want to check out the Ariats for the future. They would do for all but the most strenuous hiking.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:49 AM

Use your boots for storage, stuff your flip flops, socks, and other small items inside your boots to save room in your luggage. I can fit 3 pairs of socks in each of my sneakers. place the boots and sneakers along the sides of the suitcase and stuff everything else around it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:24 AM

I agree with the last poster - fill 'em up! Seriously, put all small things in plastic bags and push them inside all shoes, boots, whatever you're taking. Then put them in your suitcase not as a pair, but one by one, starting with the bigger ones.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:43 AM

If you don't want to hike, and are more the "amble through the woods" type - then you may not need the hiking boots - my son has done light hiking in what are sold as cross-country running shoes - more like a sturdy sneaker - thicker bottom with more support - since when he runs cross-country it is in the woods.

If you do that, you will have room for another pair of shoes.

Actually, my husband and 13 year old daughter always take more shoes on vacation than I do.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:52 AM

I had a recent trip where I had to bring heels (1 very nice dinner), 1 pair sandals, 1 pair walking shoes, and 1 pair running shoes (couldn't bear to wear my expensive running shoes for anywhere other than running). My solution was to stick most of them in my husband's (the overpacker) hanging bag.

In trips where I've had to bring my riding boots, I've just stuck them, and my helmet, in a separate, small shoulder bag that I carry on the plane (and checked my 21-inch suitcase). Those are items that you don't want getting lost by the airline, and the boots wouldn't fit in my suitcase anyway.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:01 PM

I typically wear my heaviest, necessary shoes, and put the next largest and heaviest in my c/o back pack - saves lots of room in my small, well packed suite case(s).
M
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Woo-hoo. I did a pre-pack test last night and everything fit. And I didn't have to expand it. Boots and sneakers are stuffed with undies and socks (in ziplocs, btw).

Watch out horsey, here I come. And if you see a tacky tourist ambling in the Rocky Mountains next week, it's me.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:06 AM

Good for you ncgrrl, have a great trip! Your comment "watch out horsey here I come" reminded me of a bumper sticker I just saw last night. "Save a horse, ride a cowboy". Thought you might get a kick outta that.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Atilla,

I'll add it to the list of things to do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -