Search

Itinerary Schedule Help - NYC Next Week

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2017, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Schedule Help - NYC Next Week

Hello,

We are a family of four that includes a 17 year-old girl and a 14 year-old boy. We arrive Monday July 31st (next week) at LaGuardia and will be there 4 days leaving late on Friday. 4 p.m. flight. We are staying at the Wyndham 45 located at 45th Street and 3rd Avenue. This was a last-minute trip so I need some help please! We typically plan months in advance so I am very nervous.

It's our first trip to NYC so I decided to purchase the NYC CityPass. I've listed below the places included on the Pass. We don't have to go to all of them and are totally open to other suggestions! I'm also hoping for advice on WHEN to go to each attraction as well as food and restaurant suggestions.

Side Note : I purchased tickets to Kinky Boots on Tuesday night for my daughter and I and Yankee tickets for my husband and son that night. Other than that, we are totally open.

The following places are where we can go on the CityPass.

1. Empire State Building Observatory and one audio tour. Bonus Same-Night General Admission – enjoy a same-day second visit between 10pm and closing.

2.American Museum of Natural History, with one Hayden Planetarium Space Show

3.Metropolitan Museum of Art (includes all special exhibitions and same-day admission to the Cloisters museum and gardens)

4. Option Ticket - Guggenheim Museum OR Top of the Rock admission

5.Circle Line Sightseeing Cruise (your choice of a 2-hour Semi-Circle Cruise, a 2-hour Harbor Lights Cruise, a 75-minute Liberty Cruise, or The Beast speedboat tour)

6. 9/11 Memorial & Museum

We know it will be hot. It's 103 today in Dallas. However, we are not used to walking around all day, especially in that type of heat/humidity so we are thinking early morning and evening hours for outside things.

Central Park is a must as well but I have read it is huge. Thoughts on what to focus on there?

Thank you so much, in advance, for any help, suggestions or advice. It is very much appreciated.

PJ
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 07:30 AM

I am unfamiliar with the City Pass. But the Circle Line Cruises are pretty much a snooze fest.

The charm of the Guggenheim is the building as the permanent collection is of limited interest.

I love the Cloisters but it is about 45 subway ride from midtown.

As far as restaurant are concerned, it is totally up to you in terms of neighborhood, cost, and type of cuisine.

Here is something you want to consider.

https://www.nycgo.com/restaurant-week
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 05:24 PM

I'd choose to go to the Museum of Natural History as it's always been one of my favorites. Choose either the Empire State Bldg or Top of the Rock as you don't need to go to both. The Met is always pay whatever you want, but with your pass I see that you can get into special exhibits. I don't know what they are right now so it's up to you to check it out and see if any interest you. It's a great museum, but huge.

Go to the 9-11 memorial.

I actually think the boat around Manhattan could be fun as you get to see a lot.

It shouldn't be too hot tomorrow when you arrive but it is supposed to get up to 90 on Wed.

Central Park - you can enter at 59th and 5th but keep walking uptown in the park to get away from the crowds.

Food? Stay away from Times Square. Except Connollys which is a decent albeit noisy Irish pub.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 11:03 PM

Good advice so far. Definitely see the American Museum of Natural History and the Met, arguably the best museums of their kind in the country. Well worth spending the day in -- they're huge.

Check on the temporary exhibits at the Guggenheim, which can be good. Agreed their permanent collection is just okay, though it's at least part of the pass, so why not? If you're keen to see modern art, MoMA is a must.
Old Jul 31st, 2017, 05:05 AM

If you are still checking here, I'd probably choose Top of the Rock over the Guggenheim. If you really want to see the Guggenheim, then walk into the lobby and take a quick look. It's just up the street from the Metropolitan Museum (a very easy 10-minute walk). Do the walk within Central Park. You have to go uphill a bit just after the museum, but it's cooler because the path is shady once you enter the park.

All your other choices are worthy. You can do the Circle Line any day, but it's a rather long boat ride. I'd enjoy the Intrepid Museum more myself, but you need to book tickets in advance if it's not on the CityPass, which is not the best deal in NYC whether or not you have limited time (it's a good deal in many other cities, but not here, which is odd but that's just the way it is).