Itinerary Help, Seattle & Yellowstone

Jul 16th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary Help, Seattle & Yellowstone

We've already booked RT from BWI to Boise, ID(airline miles from credit card) and are using this for the basis of a 2 week Seattle/Yellowstone vacation. Your suggestions on the itinerary (below) will be appreciated. We like to drive & sight see.

day 1 Arrive Boise, Drive to Baker City, OR. See Hells Canyon
day 2 See sights & drive to Hood River, OR
day 3 See Sights (MT St. Helens) stay @ Castle Rock WA
day 4 Mt. Rainer and drive to Bainbridge Island, WA
2 nights in this area
two nights in downtown Seattle
day 8 Seattle to Missoula, MT
day 9 Missoula to Yellowstone NP stay in Park
2 nights in park
day 11 YSNP to Cody, overnight in Cody
day 12 Cody to Jackson via YSNP
day 13 Jackson to Twin Falls, ID
day 14 Twin Falls to Boise & fly home.
The trip starts 8/24/03

Thanks

Steve
Jul 16th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Yev

Ive never been to Seattle but I can comment on Yellowstone. I think you should allot more time to it (it takes more then 2 days to see it by car, much less hike etc...), Cody I think while interesting is not worth missing a day at Yellowstone, plus the drive from Cody to Jackson is a long one. I think you might as well spend an extra day at Yellowstone, and see Grand Teton National Park.
Jul 16th, 2003, 06:03 PM

Just returned from Seattle,, it was our first time there. Wife and I had a great time,,, nice city,,, coffee everywhere,,, the best we had was at a small shop called Ladro,, near union st and 1st ave. Stayed at the Inn at the market,,, will not hesitate to stay here again. Friendly and great service,,, try for a room on 5 or 6 with a water view. Feel free to email if you have other questions. Make certain that you get to Pike Place Market... The space needle is cool to see,, but 12.50 to go to the top,,, ehh, kind of steep for a trip to 520feet. Guess it is one of those things you have to do if you go to Seattle.
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

My biggest concern is the drive from Seattle to Yellowstone. Any comments from anyone who has made this trip?
Thanks,
Steve
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:50 AM

SteveGC,

Interstate 90 is a good road. I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with Yev, you aren't allowing enought time for Yellowstone. I would skip Cody unless you have this overwhelming desire to see the Buffalo Bill Cody Historical Center.

Utahtea
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:30 AM

Allow about 8 hours on I-90 from Seattle to Missoula. Don't forget there's a +1 hour time change. I happen to think it's a great ride, although there are some boring bits in central Washington (from George to about Ritzville). Otherwise it's a geography lesson - Cascade mountains, great old west ranching country, the big river and red rocks, then desert, then infinite wheatfields (did you know that Washington State is the biggest wheat producer in the US?) then pine woods around Spokane, gorgeous Lake Coeur d'Alene, and the second mountain range of the day, this time the Rockies. The drive to Yellowstone the next day (assume Mammoth) is easy.

If you can, leave in the mid-morning rather than the crack. That way you won't have the sun in your face for the first couple of hours.
Jul 19th, 2003, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. We've eliminated the planned night in Cody and added a night in Yellowstone. Any other suggestions?

Steve
Jul 19th, 2003, 05:30 AM

If you like to hike you will enjoy Mt. Ranier. Would add that while you are in Yellowstone area be sure to spend time in Grand Teton National Park. I enjoyed Grand Teton more so than Yellowstone, views were exceptional and there is one national park hotel... forgot its name with a dining room open for breakfast lunch and dinner with spectacular views overlooking the lakes to the mountains that is worth a 2,000 mile trip all in itself (guess I liked it there) Yellowstone can really be overrun with tourists and tour buses unless you get out on the trails and hike and even then you need to get at least a mile off the road before you start to be with nature and less with your fellow man. Great trip and have fun.