Itinerary help please - Monterey & Sonoma

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2016, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - I'm back! Need help this time with itinerary. Family of 6 adults (ages 24-58) vacationing over the holidays in California. Spending 2 days/1 night in San Francisco, then 2 days/3 nights in Pacific Grove, followed by 2.5 days/3 nights in Healdsburg. Please critique our itinerary & add any suggestions you might have!
12/31 - Monterey: aquarium, browse Fisherman's wharf + historic park; Pacific Grove: butterfly sanctuary, see the Mission + Asilomar Beach; Carmel: explore the town + Carmel beach, visit a couple tasting rooms; Dinner reservations at Passionfish 8 pm.
1/1 - Hiking in Point Lobos (couple hours), then drive south Hwy 1 with stops at Bixby Bridge, Point Sir, Garrapata SP. Hiking at Pfeiffer Big Sur + Julia Pfeiffer Burns (couple hours). See Pfeiffer beach. Hope to get as far south as Jade Cove + San Simeon to see elephant seals. (Is the drive worth it? Could we see them at Point Reyes instead? Won't have time to do Ano Nuevo.) Taking picnic lunch. Not sure what to do for dinner...Should we return home via hwy 1 or 101??
1/2 - Drive to Sonoma with 3 pm reservations at St Francis winery for food + wine pairing. Any scenic spots enroute? Could go hwy 1 to Santa Cruz or just go the fastest route? Thinking maybe of exploring Sonoma town and hitting a winery enroute. Will be dark when we leave St Francis, so will drive to Healdsburg and check into rental home.
1/3 - Point Reyes (elephant seal overlook, whale watching) in the morning then 2-3 RRV Wineries in afternoon. We all love Pinot Noir! Dinner reservations at Campo Fino.
1/4 - Bodega Bay?? See Armstrong woods, then more wineries in the afternoon. Dinner reservations at Chalkboard.
1/5 - Fly home!
Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 07:57 AM

That's a long list on 12/31 and you probably won't be able to get to it all. Our tasting rooms aren't open that late. Most close between 5-6pm in winter. Scheid, De Tierra or Caraccioli are typically open later on weekends though I don't know if they'll have different holiday hours.

Pfeiffer Big Sur is still closed as is the east side of Garrapata https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=570
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 08:23 AM

I would not go all the way to San Simeon just to see the elephant seals. Plus, that would make for a very long day. I would not go any farther than Sand Dollar Beach/Jade Cove. The best hiking right now is at Limekiln State Park. Most of the other hikes are not available because the National Forest is closed. The hike to Limekiln Falls is nice but you will have some creek crossings so take hiking poles (one each is enough) or find a stick along the way. The hike to the limekilns is nice too. There's also good access to the beach but stay out of the water (cold and dangerous). Don't miss McWay Falls at Julia Pfeiffer.

You will need to keep in mind that it gets dark very early and you need to be back in Pacific Grove before dark. Plan on having dinner there.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 09:33 AM

Very busy trip. Note that San Simeon will be a long visit, with the length of tours, and you cannot just walk up and get tickets, in most cases. The California wine country is outrageously overpriced, with tastings costing $25 perperson in some places. You are short changing SF. With a group of adults, there are so many things to see and do, that part of two days wont even be worth it. If you want more time there, take it away from Pacific Grove, which is a very touristy area, although the things you want to see are good. Fishermans wharf in Monterey is a total miss except for the aquarium, as is the wharf in SF.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 09:44 AM

I would skip Point Reyes and spend more time near Healdsburg - Healdsburg itself, Sebastopol, Dry Creek. Point Reyes is great, but you don't have time for everything you want to do.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 09:49 AM

Tastings in Monterey County typically start around $10.

Your best bets currently for shorter hikes are Point Lobos and Limekiln and for a longer hike, the east side of Julia Pfeiffer Burns.

Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey is definitely skipable but the state historic park is interesting and adjacent to the wharf.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 12:05 PM

>>12/31 - Monterey: aquarium,>browse Fisherman's wharf + historic park;>Pacific Grove: butterfly sanctuary,>see the Mission + Asilomar Beach;>Carmel: explore the town>Carmel beach>visit a couple tasting rooms>Dinner reservations at Passionfish 8 pm.>1/1 - Hiking in Point Lobos (couple hours),>then drive south Hwy 1 with stops at Bixby Bridge, Point Sir, Garrapata SP. Hiking at Pfeiffer Big Sur + Julia Pfeiffer Burns (couple hours). See Pfeiffer beach.>Hope to get as far south as Jade Cove + San Simeon>to see elephant seals.>return home via hwy 1>or 101??>1/2 - Drive to Sonoma>with 3 pm reservations at St Francis winery for food + wine pairing.>Any scenic spots enroute? Could go hwy 1 to Santa Cruz or just go the fastest route? Thinking maybe of exploring Sonoma town and hitting a winery enroute.>Will be dark when we leave St Francis, so will drive to Healdsburg and check into rental home.>1/5 - Fly home!
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 02:44 PM

The monarchs are here for the season http://www.pgmuseum.org/monarchcounts/ It's a very short walk from where you park to the grove so can be a quick stop but you're going to have to prioritize your activities.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 02:58 PM

For Elephant Seals, I think Año Nuevo State Park would be much better than going all the way to San Simeon. We did Año Nuevo and it was amazing! You do need advance reservations.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks y'all- that's what I needed to know!
12/31 - Monterey Aquarium, Pacific Grove for quick lunch + butterfly sanctuary, then explore Carmel town + beach for a couple hours before dinner. Will look into Spanish Bay-

1/1 - Head north after Julia Pfeiffer, skipping San Simeon. I did read that several hikes in the National forest are still closed. Bummer. Make dinner plans in Pacific Grove or Carmel.

1/2 - I agree this is a wasted day... not sure what else to do but open to suggestions? Family is excited about the food & Wine pairing, so I hate to cancel.

I realize this doesn't give us much time in San Francisco, but we have "done" the city before. Everyone wanted to see Alcatraz, so we are doing that!
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Stu- What is your recommended route from Monterey to Sonoma? Looks like 280 turns into 80 & goes over the Bay Bridge... I saw in one of your other posts to go via GG Bridge.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 06:53 AM

Monterey to the city of Somoma

- Hwy 1 to Hwy 156 to Hwy 101 north

- Near San Jose, Hwy 101 to Hwy 85 to Hwy 280

- Hwy 280 is actually a designated "Scenic Hwy"

- As you get into San Francisco, Hwy 280 will branch to the right towards Downtown and connect to Hwy 101/80. DO NOT TAKE THIS BRANCH TO THE RIGHT. INSTEAD FOLLOW THE SIGN TO 19TH Ave

- Just past the Hwy 280 "branch" to the right, look to the right of the road and look for the sign for Brotherhood Way. The sign will have a large circular cloverleaf on the placard. Turn right onto Brotherhood at the bottom of the offramp.

- Follow Brotherhood Way (and the majority of traffic) until Brotherhood dead-ends at Lake Merced Blvd. Turn right onto Lake Merced Blvd and "snake" around the actual Lake and keep following the majority of traffic

- From Lake Merced Blvd, turn right onto Sunset Blvd (following the majority of traffic). Keep following Sunset Blvd. As you get near Golden Gate Park, keep to the left & go under a bridge and into Golden Gate Park.

- In Golden Gate Park, Lake Merced Blvd will dead-end into Martin Luther King Blvd. Turn right on MLK Blvd.

- Keep to the left and soon MLK Blvd will intersect Crossover Drive - which is the main road that goes north & south through GG Park. Turn left on Crossover.

- After turning left on Crossover, get in the right hand lane and just follow the road and majority of traffic in front of you and exit the park onto Park Presidio Blvd.

- Follow Park Presidio and the traffic in front of you and go over the beautiful Golden Gate Bridge.

The above route description might seem complicated. But the only slightly difficult part is getting off 280 and onto Brotherhood Way - but this turnoff is well marked. Just keep looking to your right for the sign to Brotherhood Way. From Brotherhood Way - just keep following the majority of traffic in front of you onto the Golden Gate Bridge.

- Once off the GG Bridge, take Hwy 101 north to Hwy 37 East. Then take Hwy 121 north to the town of Sonoma. Hwy 37 & 121 is a pretty drive.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 10:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Late to the party and everyone above has given good info (except the >>The California wine country is outrageously overpriced, with tastings costing $25 perperson Sonoma.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 10:16 AM

<it is just Napa and parts of Sonoma that have sky high fees) >
More misinformation.

There are excellent wineries in Napa and Sonoma which don't charge anything at all (and no, I won't tell you my favorite because I don't want it overrun by cheapskates), and loads that offer discounts. And no one charges if you buy a bottle, which is, after all, the point of TASTING wine--to see if you want to buy it.

Stu's directions to Sonoma via the GG Bridge are what Google and Apple Maps both recommend, btw.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 10:49 AM

>>Stu's directions to Sonoma via the GG Bridge are what Google and Apple Maps both recommend, btw.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 10:59 AM

Golly, how did I get through SF, and not the East Bay, on my way to Sonoma via the GG Bridge, then? Must have been a miracle.

I stand by what I said. Stu, you give great advice, but not all of your information is exclusive to you.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 11:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>><it is just Napa and parts of Sonoma that have sky high fees) >
More misinformation.every place in Napa/Sonoma charges sky high for tastings . . . no.

I said there are sky high fees in Napa/Sonoma, and there are. More places charge more for tasting there than anywhere else in the state, but the fees are not across the board/universal.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 11:26 AM

>>Stu's directions to Sonoma via the GG Bridge are what Google and Apple Maps both recommend, btw.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Stu, for your very detailed driving directions that I could not find on the web!
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 02:45 PM

LOL! My point is that those directions can most certainly be found online...except by the OP, apparently. So there you go

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -