Reload this Page >

Itinerary Help - New England / Niagara Falls / Montreal

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
This is our initial itinerary for a 17 day holiday which MUST commence on 11th October 2013. We cannot change that date. We understand the only possibility of decent fall colours at that time is in Southern New England or along the coast so we spend the 1st few days in that area. Then to NH & VT and onto Boston, Niagara Falls and Montreal. (Yes, we have omitted Toronto, but hopefully for another trip. Montreal really appeals to us.)
Any and all comments, suggestions, thoughts, must do’s / must sees, and help very much appreciated.

Oct. 11 - Fly to Boston (Arriving 17.00 from Norwich UK via Amsterdam using Delta/KLM)
Collect Hire car & drive to Cape Cod area for night
Oct. 12 - (Saturday) Cape Cod or Southern New England (Hotel Cape Cod or Southern New England)
Oct. 13 - (Sunday) Cape Cod or Southern New England (Hotel Cape Cod or Southern New England)
Oct. 14 - (Columbus Day) Southern New England or Mass. (Hotel Mass. or Coastal Maine)
Oct. 15 - Coastal Maine (Hotel Coastal Maine)
Oct. 16 - New Hampshire (Hotel NH)
Oct. 17 - NH - White Mountains / Kancamagus Highway (Hotel NH)
Oct. 18 - New Hampshire or Vermont (Hotel NH or Vermont)
Oct. 19 - (Saturday) Vermont – Green Mountains (Hotel Vermont)
Oct. 20 - (Sunday) Vermont (Hotel Vermont)
Oct. 21 - Travel to Boston, drop Rental Car – (Hotel Boston)
Oct. 22 - Boston – (Hotel Boston)
Oct. 23 - Boston – (Hotel Boston)
Oct. 24 - Fly from Boston (Depart 14.20) to Toronto (Arrive 16.06) - This flight is ‘part and parcel’ of the ‘multi-flights’ with Delta/KLM and is practically a ‘freebie’. It ‘saves’ the possible ‘2 hour plus’ delay at the USA/Canada border near Niagara, (though obviously we’ll be sitting in the airport instead!) and the flight only takes 75 minutes.
‘PROBLEM’: To get from Toronto Airport to Niagara Falls ON (Hotel NF)
Oct. 25 - Niagara Falls ON - (Hotel NF)
Oct. 26 - ‘PROBLEM’: To get from NF to Toronto Airport
‘PROBLEM’: Fly from Toronto Airport to Montreal – This is NOT part and parcel of the ‘multi-flights’ and for some reason costs an additional $1,600. Seems we can get a separate internal flight with Air Canada, West jet or similar for $130 (so slightly cheaper!) - (Hotel Montreal)
Oct. 27 - Montreal - (Hotel Montreal)
Oct. 28 - Montreal - (Hotel Montreal)
Oct. 29 - Fly home from Montreal – (Depart Montreal 20.00 using Delta/KLM)

We would like to go on a whale watching tour at some point. Finally, any help on choice of hotels (assuming it’s possible within the sites rules) would be appreciated. CLEANLINESS IS BY FAR THE MAIN CONCERN. A decent breakfast and a TV would be good too . . . . . . . . . Oh! And a bed, I guess a bed would be handy . . . .
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
ViaRail train #97 is the morning train from Toronto to Niagara Falls Ontario. The later trains go to Burlington where you transfer to Go transit.
ViaRail is a good choice to save some money to get from Toronto to Montreal.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 09:01 AM

Actually, your comment: "11th October 2013.... We understand the only possibility of decent fall colours at that time is in Southern New England or along the coast "

is not really true. Columbus day weekend is generally considered peak foliage across much of New Hampshire, and western Massachusetts. Take a look at the foliage tracker here: http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peak-foliage-forecast-map/
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 09:43 AM

I think you can shorten up your time in NH and add to Maine. From southern MA/Cape drive to Portsmouth NH. Take a foliage or harbor cruise or for a pretty drive go to Strawbery Banke and drive Rt 1B thru the town of New Castle. The private mansions on the coast also provide a nice drive in Rye.
Head up I95 but it depends on whether you want to see any beaches. Portland Old Port area is fun to explore (can't remember if you're the couple who can't walk far). Lots of great restaurant options. Spend night in Portland. If you didn't do a cruise in Portsmouth, take a cruise of Casco Bay. After lunch head to NH's White Mountains. Conway is only about an hour drive. Spend night in this area. Drive Kancamagus in the morning unless you want to explore North Conway shops.
Big decision - drive north on I93 to Littleton NH (nice segment on tv last night) or south to Concord. You can start off from Concord headed to VT either quick way via I89 or slow way via Rt 103. Stop at Gould Hill Apple Orchard, (see website), drive thru towns of Contoocook, Hopkinton and Warner. In Warner you can visit the Kearsarge Indian Museum and or drive up Mt Kearsarge. I like the view from the Wilmot side of Mt Kearsarge better. It's a toll road.
Continue into New London NH or hop on I89 to go to VT. You'll have to visit Woodstock VT because that's a tourist mecca but it will be cheaper to stay in Quechee. Sorry, can't remember the name of the motel but it was clean enough and actually spacious. I would head north to Norwich to visit King Arthur Flour if you like to cook/bake or head to Vermont Country Store because it's fun to explore. My husband liked Billings Farm Museum near Woodstock but I missed that trip.

If you like ice cream, wine or beer, get a trail map from the state Dept of Agriculture to locate places that make and sell those items. Some people like to tour the Ben and Jerry's ice cream factory or the Cabot Cheese factory. I like Brandon VT. Check to see when their scarecrows/harvest people are on display.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 10:05 AM

A little re-arranging will make things MUCH easier for you:

....Oct. 24 - Fly a budget airline non-stop one-way (less than $100 USD) from Boston to Buffalo Int'l airport and take a bus, shuttle, or taxi to Niagara Falls, Ontario (about 30 minutes - that 2-hour border cross wait is a RARE occurrence).

Oct. 25 - Niagara Falls ON - (Hotel NF)

Oct. 26 - Rent a car, catch a bus or hire a taxi in Niagara Falls, Ontario and drive to Toronto airport (about 90 minutes) and fly to Montreal. Info here - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...Departing.html

Oct. 27 - Montreal - (Hotel Montreal)....

and some hotel recs:

BOSTON: http://www.johnjeffrieshouse.com/ clean, small, very inexpensive (for central Boston) hotel. Super clean and a GREAT location.

NIAGARA FALLS http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hot...TDT/index.html

MONTREAL: http://www.bonaparte.com/