Itinerary Help Bryce and Zion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a little advice for 3 days' itinerary for Bryce and Zion. We will be coming from Moab, and having visited Capitol Reef Park and overnighting in Torrey, we will then drive on 12 to Bryce, where we'll spend one night, then 2 nights at Zion before heading to Las Vegas on day 4. This will be in mid September. It's the latter part of a longer road trip beginning in SLC followed by a few days in Yellowstone, then 2 nights in Moab...

So, I'm thinking that after breakfast on Day 1, we head out of Torrey. Detour onto Burr Trail at Boulder to go to Long Canyon. My understanding is that road is about 11 miles to Long Canyon.

Back to 12 and on to find hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls.

Back to 12 and lunch? Or should we have packed a lunch and taken with us on Lower Calf Creek Falls trail?

Then detour again near Escalante to Hole in the Rock road and hike down to Devil's Garden.

Arrive at Bryce and check in and spend evening there.

Next morning (Day 2) get up for sunrise at Bryce Point. Have breakfast (back at hotel??) Then come back and hike Navajo Loop/Queen's Garden.

That's where I'm stuck. What next? And, is my Day 1 itinerary too much or just right?

We like to hike, but nothing overly strenuous. We're both over 60, but pretty fit and we walk/hike a lot at home. Enjoy driving to see vistas as well. Not into horseback riding or rafting (been there done that). I'm trying to get into Bryce Canyon Lodge but it's sold out so far (I know to keep trying though), but for now I have reservations at Bryce Canyon Pines outside of the park. In Zion, again, can't get into park, but have reservations at Desert Pearl.

We're open to ideas!
Old Jun 30th, 2016, 08:23 AM
J62

At Bryce I would add a drive to the various lookouts along the rim of the canyon, and the short hike at the end among the bristlecone pines, then haed to Zion.

If you are staying outside the park at Bryce I would either pack a picnic breakfast to eat in /near your car, eat a small bite before you leave your hotel, or eat at Bryce Lodge. I would not venture back out of the park back to a hotel.

For Zion,
I prefer to stay outside the park myself and Desert Pearl is a beautiful location & property. I'd stop at some of the lookouts on the way in to see the east side of the park, then hike the canyon overlook trail right before you enter the tunnel.

Then you can park at your hotel or the visitor parking lot, ride the Zion canyon shuttle to one or several of the stopping points. Maybe stop for an ice cream at Zion lodge. Then enjoy the afternoon/evening in Springdale, poolside etc. It all depends on how much get up and go you have after you arrive at Zion. Nothing wrong with taking it easy and just enjoying being there for that afternoon.

Next day, get up early and hike a) up to Scout's Lookout (before Angel's landing), or up to Observation point. Picnic lunch whereever you happen to be, then hike a short way (or more) up the Narrows.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the ideas! I was toying with trying to get into Bryce Canyon Lodge, but maybe I'll forgo the extra expense and stay where we are, just outside the park.
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 07:02 PM

My understanding is that road is about 11 miles to Long Canyon.

_ to long canyon- is tad confusing as I assume you want to drive through long canyon

From Boulder to Long Canyonoverlook is 17 miles.
Park border is another 14 miles where many hiking trails and and attractive arches are found

Vaga
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:46 AM

If there is a possibility of rain, or it has rained recently, don't do the Burr trail road. Be aware that thunderstorms do happen in September, and low places and slots can flood, even if the storm was miles away.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 04:47 AM

The comments above are all excellent. Your lodging for Zion is just fine but I really would keep checking in an effort to get into the Bryce Canyon lodge. I would check everyday - you may luck out. We did last October. I checked the website daily and called very frequently. About a month before our trip - a room opened up for the nights we wanted. It is really, really special to stay in the park and be able to walk 2 minutes and be at the rim for sunrise.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips and advice. I have read about possible flooding due to those summer thunderstorms, etc, so will keep my ears tuned to weather, etc.

I have the Bryce Canyon Lodge reservations website up and at the ready. Several times a day I go to it and click to see if there's availability for my night. When I called the woman told me the website is updated every 30 minutes.

I have already had luck with snagging a room at Old Faithful for Yellowstone, earlier in our trip, and that is all due to reading your advice here on Fodor's: "Keep trying!!"