Search

Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Help

My wife and I (early 30's) are planning a trip to Hawaii for December 26th thru January 10th. So we have a total of 15 nights to split amongst the islands. There are endless options to choose from, I need help. The most important elements for us are good beaches (with good swimming off the hotel), good hiking and good food. We are not as interested in historical sights, museums, nightlife, etc..

So far I have identified the following options:

*** Option 1

- 7 nights Oahu (4 nights @ the Halekulani and 3 nights at Turtle Bay).

- 8 nights in Maui (4 night stay @ the ResortQuest Mahana at Kaanapali followed by a 4 night stay @ Four Seasons)

For Oahu I am wondering whether 7 nights is necessary. How many day trips (self-drive) do we need to cover most of the island?

Is it necessary to stay at the Turtle Bay resort (subjective I know)? In Dec. we may not be able to enjoy the ocean (strong surf). We would prefer to be in a location where we have easy access to the ocean.

In Maui I was thinking that we can fit many of our day trips into the first 4 days while staying in Kaanapali. Once we are at the Four Seasons it may be better to spend more time near the hotel. Is 8 nights too much for one island?

*** Option 2

- 5 nights Oahu (5 nights @ the Halekulani)

- 3 nights Big Island (not sure where)

- 7 nights in Maui (3 night stay @ the ResortQuest Mahana at Kaanapali followed by a 4 night stay @ Four Seasons)

Is 3 days enough time to enjoy the big island? The additional travel to a third island is not really an issue as we travel a lot.

Thanks in advance for you help...
-Alan
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:08 AM

You could do three islands in 15 days. I guess it would depend on what you want to do on each as to how many days to stay on each island. There is plenty to do on each island to spend 4-5 days.

Let us know what you like to do and maybe we can recommend which islands to visit.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

We are most interested in activity, swimming, hiking, driving, atv'ing, etc.. We are not really the type to lounge out for too many days at a hotel. For that reason I am beginning to think that the following may be more appropriate:

- 5 nights Oahu (Halekulani)
- 5 nights Big Island (Mauna Lani)
- 5 nights Maui (Hyatt)

I wonder if it's worth spending $$$ on these nice resorts if we plan on spending much of our days traveling around the islands.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:11 AM

I like your new itinerary - although, I don't think there's a BAD itinerary. As to whether it's worth it to stay at the nicer hotels - it depends on you. It is worth it to me, unless it's somewhere I go all the time. I just love Hawaii, and I hope you have a fabulous time!!!!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:27 AM

The hotels you mentioned are much more expensive than any I have ever used, so I would tend to agree that you can get good accomodations for a lot less money Waikiki has a wide range of hotels, and you’ll find good swimming there year round. You can choose beachfront, across the street, or a block or 2 from the beach. We really enjoyed our stay at the Waikiki Circle last summer; small but comfortable room and heavenly view http://www.resortquesthawaii.com/haw...yGroupId=25563
http://worldisround.com/articles/334335/photo25.html Oceanfront room, $207 per night.

Map of waikiki hotels that I think is pretty up to date www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

It is easy to drive from Waikiki to see the rest of the island. As far as how many day trips you need to see O’ahu, that really depends on how many stops you want to make and for how long. I get mesmerized by the beaches and other vistas, and just want to drink in the beauty

There are ATV tours at Kualoa ranch www.kualoa.com I don’t know of any others on O’ahu.

I would give the Big Island more than 3 days if you can.

For O’ahu and Maui you might be interested in the Driving and Discovering books by Richard Sullivan. they have myriad photos and detailed maps. website is discoveringhawaii.com
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations, it makes my trip planning a little easier...

I think the 3 island / 5 night approach might be the best. We'll give the big island 5 nights to make sure we have time to take it all in...

As far as the hotels go, I will have to shop around and compare prices. We don't need the best but it's nice to spoil yourself once in a while. The key for us would be the food more than any other factor at these hotels.