itinerary GTNP/Yellowstone/Glacier

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be next year-I know I'm early...-in Wyoming/Montana for nearly 3 weeks.
Here is the first try of schedule.
How find it "the experts" of those parks ??
Opinions requested+++/GTNP and Yellowstone, because we were last year in Montana and the itinerary there will normally not be changed.
WYOMING/MONTANA 2009

Day 1 : Roissy/Jackson/Grand Teton---Dornan's Spur ranch
(option Jackson Hole if late arrival)
Day 2 : Gd Teton--hike---Dornan's Spur ranch
Day 3 : Gd Teton--hike---Dornan's Spur ranch
(option d2 & 3 : signal moutain lodge)

Day 4 : GTNP/Yellowstone-south---Old Faithfull inn or snow
Day 5- Yellowstone--hike--id/lodge
Day 6 :Yellowstone--hike--id/lodge

Day 7 : Yellowstone north----Mammoth hotel or Roosevelt cabin
Day 8 : Yellowstone--hike-id/lodge

Day 9 : Yellowstone/Butte via Virginia City---BW Butte

Day 10 : Butte /Helena via Elkhorn and Missouri----BW Helena
Day 11 : Helena/ hike in the "Gates"--------BW Helena

Day 12 : Helena/Glacier/Apgar-hike/Hidden meadow----Village Inn or Lake Mc D L
Day 13 : GNP-west-Quartz loop--id

Day 14 : West/East--avalanche, cedars and hidden lake--Swiftcurrent motor inn
Day 15 : GNP east-iceberg or cracker or grinnel--id/lodge
Day 16 : GNP east-hike/cf supra-id/lodge
Day 17 : GNP east-swiftcuirrent pass-id/lodge

Day 18 : GNP/Missoula via Two medecine for a hike --Blue Moutain B&B
Day 19 : Hike in the Bitterroot valley-id/lodge

Day 20 : Missoula/Paris/Vannes.

Thank's
Erik
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 05:19 AM
AlJ

Between Dornans and Signal Mtn, I'd go with Signal Mountain. Just me.

Between Mammoth and Roosevelt, we like Roosevelt. Its just a very nice setting. Also very close to Lamar Valley.

In Glacier, we loved Swiftcurrent. Mostly because of the location. Iceberg Lake was closed for bears when we were there but we enjoyed Grinnell Glacier. Moose watching at Fishercap Lake was fun too.

We've got pictures of most of these places on our website, if you're interested. We were most recently in Yellowstone this June.

www.alandsuejohnson.com
Links on the left.

It isn't too early to be planning. When are you hoping to go?
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 06:01 AM

Since you plan on going to all three parks get an America the Beautiful Pass at your first stop. Costs $80 but is good for entrance fees at all Federal areas for a calendar year. As opposed to $25 at each of the parks.
You don't mention what time of year you are going so the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier may not be fully open if you go early in the season. The road is being repaved for the next 8-10 years so expect travel delays. They now offer a free shuttle bus if you want to take it. It is in operation from July 3-Labor Day.
An excellent hike is to park your car in Logan Pass walk the Highline Trail to Granite Park Chalet then down the trail to The Loop and take the free shuttle bus back to your car. You can also continue past the chalet and walk down into the Many Glacier area. Will need to take a commercial ($) shuttle service back to Logan. In July this is a great trail for wildflowers and mountain goats, as is the trail to Hidden Lake which departs from Logan Pass.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

We though first to go early july, but as it could be too early for some hikes or roads(this year it could have beenn difficult/some hikes...), the schedule is now
from July 19th to august 8th or 9th.
Normally, we hike a lot, beginning at 8'45/9 and back to relax at 5-5'30...So we don't have some difficulties to drive so early in the morning...
Swiftcurrent is effectively choose to avoid car in MG area since a lot of hikes beginn there...
I take the advice/lodging.
Thank's for the respons.
Erik
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Dornans is probably closer or as close to the airport as any lodging in Jackson. The food is good at Dornans Pizza Place, but I couldn't tell you one way or the other about the lodging. We liked the cabins in Roosevelt. I don't know what ID lodge is??
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM

I am glad you posted this. We too are going to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Unfortuantely we will not have as long as you only 8 days for us. I will follow this thread closely and let you know what info I find out. for right now I am looking for ranch house type lodging thatcan fit multiple families (up to 20?)
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 05:54 PM

What a wonderful trip! I'm jealous!

Can't help with some of the questions, but for Glacier, I'd pick Village Inn over Lake McDonald Lodge. The Lodge is fancier with restaurants and stores right there, and Village Inn is more basic motel, but I loved the more quiet atmosphere. You can't beat the view and no big tour buses dropping crowds off in the lobby.

I'd also suggest a great website, Glacier Park Chat. Lots of knowledgeable people there, who know everything about the park and are happy to help. They gave me some great advice on my itinerary.

http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/index.php
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Forgot to mention that the lodges at most National Parks fill up quickly, so you're smart to be planning well in advance!
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM

HI, don't know if you have done the Beartooth Hwy io YNP before but if not should definatly try and work it in. One hike that almost no one does as most are not aware of it is to the suspension bridge over the Black Canyon of the Yellowstone. Its easy about 3 miles or so nice area and great fishing. Contact me if you want more info I am in Billings [email protected]
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Spirobulldog : id means idem(same lodge this day than the day before...) : we try to stay at least 2 but better 3 nights in each lodge to avoid driving, as we prefer hiking and to avoid the luggage "waltz" every morning and evening...
And to relax some evening after the hike on a patio or in a meadow without miles to drive is quite a "luxe"...
Are in GTNP or Yellowstone some nice and not too strenous hikes like in Glacier ?
The ones we prefer in Glacier to have a basis : Grinnel Glacier from
Swiftcurrent lake, Granit Chalet from Swiftcurrent motel, Snyder lake, Quartz lakes loop : 12-15 miles, with a not too great denivellation and... not too busy...
Erik
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM

In reference to GTNP- Signal Mountain Lodge is a beautiful place to stay. And it is not very far from alot of hikes in the tetons. Dornans is okay to eat, but I would never stay there again. Have stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge and Signal (both very nice, but Signal closer to hiking and Jenny Lake).

They all book up months in advance so reserve lodging early.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Finally, the itinerary is done from
July 19 to august 6 :
07.19 to 22 : Signal Moutain lodge,
a lake front retreat(2 rooms)
07.22 to 24 : Old Faithfull snow lodge : 2 rooms
07.24 to 27 : Canyon Lodge : 2 rooms(Roosevelt was no more available).
O7.27 to 30 : Best Western Butte(1 night) & BW Helena(2 nights)
07.30 to O8.01 : Village inn at Apgar(2 rooms + Kitchen)
08.01 to 08.05 : swiftcurrent motor inn : 2 rooms in the motor unit, near trail head to Swiftcurrent pass
O8.05 and 08.06 : Blue mountain bed and breakfast in Missoula.
Just need now to choose the hikes to do, hope to see some wildlife and having some nice weather...
Some questions : how is the "dining" options in Grand Teton and Yellowstone ??(we know from 2006 in Glacier...).
Are the hikes in GT and Yellowstone as easier than in Glacier to find and to follow ??
Erik
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 03:45 PM

We usually hike a moderate amount while we are at a park, but at Yellowstone (even though there are some fantastic hikes) we found ourselves with so much to look at right near the road, that we didn't venture off nearly as much as we had intended on doing. Do take plenty of time to see 3 or 4 Geysers go off. Old Faithful was our least favorite. It is the easiest one to see. Try to catch Castle Geyser. It goes about every 12 hours, but you might be waiting there for 2 or 3 hours. It is worth it. There is several hundred people around Old Faithful for the 2 minute show. There were only about 10 around Castle and it lasts for about an hour. 30 minutes worth of water and another 30 for the steam phase. Riverside Geyser is a cool geyser. Daisy is nearby and it is easy to catch, it goes every 2 hours or so. We wanted to see Beehive, but it didn't cooperate with our schedule, and it is hard to predict.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank!
A half day is scheduled/Geysers...
Another question.
As we will flight to Jackson Hole, is the road from JH airport to
Signal Moutain Lodge not too difficult or have we to schedule the night in JH on arrival ?
Or in other terms : what is the limit to land and be able to drive to the lodge without too much difficulties ?
Erik
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 08:17 PM

The drive from Jackson Hole Airport to Signal Mtn. Lodge is super easy; it'll take you less than an hour. Btw, the gift shop at Signal Mtn. Lodge is great. Classy gifts with a variety of prices. Save room in your luggage for purchases I almost bought out the place just yesterday!

The last time I actually stayed at SMLodge was a while ago. Things have changed in the kitchen, I am sure. But as I recall the food was decent. We booked a meal well in advance at Jenny Lake Lodge and it was really, really good. Men were required to wear jackets then. I don't know their current policy. Geesh, had I seen your question earlier I could have stopped by and asked since I drove by it yesterday.

I've also eaten at the Jackson Lake Lodge. The dining room has stunning views of the lake and the Tetons. I can't vouch for the current quality of the meals though as it's been years since I dined there.

The dining room at the Snow Lodge is decent. We had two dinners there this weekend. The menu might be completely different when you're there but if they still have the short ribs (braised) or the baked penne (vegetarian) on the menu I'd skip both. The wild Alaska salmon was very good and the prime rib was, too.

Breakfast was just okay. Skip the breakfast buffet - it is tired looking and so not worth $10. Hop on over the Yellowstone General Store next to the Old Faithful Inn for breakfast or lunch (or the one at Fishing Bridge.) It opens at 9am. We got there at 8:50am this morning and there were already at least 12 people already there! It took a hour from seating to finishing our breakfast but the breakfast was much better than the Snow Lodge dining room and the casual ambience much more fun and relaxed. All the staff were pleasant and conversational, even quirky. Have a seat at the counter for a true "American experience."

Best,
-doo
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank.
I just printed the topic to put in
the guide to organise some diners, and also breakfast(generally, lunch is in the nature..).
Erik
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Wondering....I am reading about Jackson Hole et al and wonder, did monpetit ever post a trip report?
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM
maj

I think he is going this coming summer.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Aha! I want to go.