It's official, we are going to Red Lodge, Montana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I do a week long hiking trip every other year with three other couples. I am the designated planner. I would like to thank the very helpful Fodors posters who led me through the options. Websites, brochures, etc are great; but the personal counsel is invaluable. Debi, Enzian, mms, and johnthedorf were especially helpful to me and I thank you! I want to add that although we chose Red Lodge for the group trip, DH and I identified several places we will go thanks to these generous Fodorites.

The plan is to fly to Cody and then drive to our base in Red Lodge. We will be doing day hikes in the area. If anyone has a favorite spot (thank you, wtm for the candy store recommendation!) in the area, favorite hikes, or restaurants, please share that with me. The place we are staying has no on site restaurant. The closest one is the Grizzly Pub in Luther, MT.

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Glad you settled on a place It is hard to pick when there are so many places to go and see. I have no help for MT, but can't wait to hear about the trip!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Great! I can't wait for the trip report. My "roots" are in Montana, and we'd like to get over that way. . . but as you know, it is Utah and Yosemite that keep drawing us back.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Ah, I hope my trip report will tempt both of you! You have given me such great ideas and inspiration, Yosemite is on the private list as is the Oregon interior and Mt. St. Helens....oh, well, you get the idea!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

wtm, tell me more about the pig races, please.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Here is the link for the Bear Creek Saloon, home of the pig races.

www.redlodge.com/bearcreek/

We enjoyed our steak dinner, nothing spectacular, a little overpriced, but hey we were on vacation so no complaints.

Following dinner, it was time for the pig races. You can place bets and the proceeds go toward scholarships. It was just plain old, simple fun.

This is obvious, but try to get a really good hiking map. We started a few hikes as we drove over the pass, but the trails were not well marked so we had no idea of trail distance or loops. I ended up buying a topographic map when we were in Cooke City, too late for that trip, but I'm ready for the next trip.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

That's good counsel, wtm. I am ordering a book recommended by my innkeeper on hikes in the Absorka/Beartooth Wilderness. A topo map will be a great assist.

By the way, we rode the New River Trail this weekend twice. It was just wonderful. Beautiful, clear days...a hint of fall on the way. You gotta try it!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Have a great trip! I've not eaten at the Grizzly Pub, but is my Dad's, Husband's, and Brother's favorite place to eat steak and drink beer after climbing Granite Peak.

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Oh great news, kurieff. Ask them about some hikes for us. I knew I could count on you for some Montana information! I hope the Grizzly Pub can fit in a vegetarian....I do drink beer.