Reload this Page >

ISO - Help Planning Trip To Charlotte

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Melissa

I am seeking advice regarding Charlotte, North Carolina. Several couples (college friends and spouses) will be meeting there in October.

We would like to stay in a hotel that is in the middle of everything, so-to-speak, or at least within walking distance to restaurants, shopping, etc. Two of the couples have teenage children. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any recommendations for a day spa, not-to-be-missed sites, things to do, restaurants and live music venues would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:49 AM
katie

I believe the Omni is right downtown. Downtown is small, so any downtown Hotel should be walking distance to most places, but I believe they call it Uptown. Charlotte is not too exciting, but they do have several brew pubs.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Arabella

Hi, Melissa,

You could stay at just about any uptown hotel and be within walking distance of most uptown attractions. Do a search for hotels in your price range and try to get as close to corner of Trade and Tryon as possible. This is the heart of uptown.

Uptown attractions include the Blumenthal performing arts center, Discovery Place (a learning museum for kids) with an IMAX theater, an arts and crafts museum, the Museum of The New South, and an array of clubs and restaurants.

Or you could stay at the Park Hotel or the Hyatt Hotel which are both within walking distance of SouthPark Mall and the Specialty Shops on Morrison. You'll find a spa and some interesting shops and restaurants at the Specialty Shops.

Having said all this, why did you all choose Charlotte? Although I love living here, I never encourage people to vacation here. You'd be much happier in Charleston or Savannah. There is much more to do in either city.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Lois

Melissa, I can't imagine what there will be to do for the teenagers at night in Charlotte. We just returned from a trip to NC last weekend to visit with friends who retired down there. They drove us through the city [this was a sat. night] to show us how empty and quiet the city is after business hours. There were NO people on the streets! Yes, there were some bars that were full. We finally saw about 8 people standing on a corner, listening to someone playing some sort of music. This was about 9:30 at night! That was it. It is without a doubt the quietest city I've been to, certainly for a city the size it is. We were told they are in the process of building apts. downtown. Apparently that is something they really don't have there. Everyone lives in the suburbs. There are some beautiful bldgs., and of course there is shopping and restaurants. One thing for sure, you won't have to worry about losing anyone in the crowds.....

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Gretchen

There are some live music venues downtown--Cosmos Cafe, Dixie Tavern, Have a Nice Day Cafe. Teen agers won't get in by themselves needless to say. Get the Friday paper for the entertainment section. Another museum downtown definitely worthwhile is the Mint Museum of Craft + Design.
Not that it matters to a visitor but there is a good bit of downtown living already--just for the record.
Another area to roam is South End--down Tryon ST. to South Blvd.
For a spa you should try Carmen Carmen. I would make arrangements well in advance.
Restaurants--Palomino Grill, Bijoux, Mimosa Grill (really excellent), the Pine Room at NIght. For a good lunch go to Mert's Heart and Soul on College ST.
For the best French food go to Patou (a little drive or cab ride) on Park Road. Real French bistro--our favorite place. Near it is a good sushi restaurant for lunch in particular--Ru-Shan's (on Park Rd. across from the Red Cross building).
For excellent sea food go to Upstream (at Phillips Place). Then walk across the street to Dean and Deluca's wine bar for a glass of wine and excellent piano music.
You will also love shopping at Phillips Place and SouthPark. Also Atherton Mill in the South End area--designer shops in an old warehouse. Need a car from uptown.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Cindy

Go see a basketball game, pro or college. We had a lot of fun doing this when in Charlotte 5-6 years ago.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Arabella

We ran our NBA team out of town this year.

Honestly, take my advice and go to Savannah or Charleston.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Cindy

That's too bad. The games were fun.

So much for that idea!

Anyway, have a good time Melissa. The Charlotte locals seem to have given you some great ideas.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Gretchen

Go to a Panthers football game if they are in town. Easy to get tickets outside the stadium.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:07 PM
NCFan

Hey, and our wonderful football team is 2-0. They haven't played any decent teams yet, but we're undefeated!!