Isle au Haut or Monhegan

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isle au Haut or Monhegan

Maine for 5 day/5 nites. 3 nights at Harbor Cottage Inn in s/w harbor. Thinkin about driving to port clyde and taking the ferry for an overnight on Monhegan...should we do it or just stay closer to BH and go to Isle au Haut. (not an overnight) just for the day. Keeper's in on IAH is booked. Shining sails is booked on Monhegan as well. suggestions?
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 03:54 PM

I haven't been to Monhegan, but we did take the mail boat to Isle au Haut once. If you're looking for a really quiet place to hike, with no amenities, Isle au Haut is your place.

The mail boat leaves from Stonington, which is an interesting, tiny, "real Maine" kind of place.

~Liz
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

thank you i am so glad to at least have gotten a response to this post.
we have decided to stay in s/w harbor for one nite...move on to camden for one and stay at the samoset resort so we can golf and then on to goose cove and then manor inn in castine for last nite. will check out isle au haut instead of monhegan.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:44 AM

There is another Inn on Isle au Haut. Check out the Inn at Isle au Haut. www.innatisleauhaut.com. Arrive on the "late" boat, departing Stonington at 4:30pm(June-Sept)arrive IAH at 5:15, you are picked up at the town landing and driven to the Inn-2 1/2 miles away. Dinner that evening, a full breakfast, and a packed picnic lunch are provided along with the use of the Inn bicycles to get you to one of the many trailheads in Acadia National Park. You arrive back at the Inn in time to be driven back to town to catch the boat departing at 4:30pm.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 04:35 AM

Just reading your post brings back so many delightful memories. We make an annual trip to Maine, staying just outside of Camden. Too bad you have such a short stay. There is so much to do in this area.
We love Stonington, which someone else described as a typical Maine town. Port Clyde, which you were using as a "jumping off" point for Monhegan or Isle A u Haut is
interesting by itself. There is a great lighthouse a short walk from the center of town, Marshall Point, well worth visiting.
Camden is my favorite town, but the ride from there to Acadia National Park is wonderful. There are so many places worth stopping on the way, Belfast, for one. The Park, itself, is a "must see". Is there any way you can include it in your itinerary? Can you pack me in your suitcase??????