Reload this Page >

Island Inn-Martha's Vineyard

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2000, 02:47 PM
jackie

I am considering visiting Martha's Vineyard in Aug. for a seminar. Accomadations are to be at the Island Inn in Oak Bluffs. Is this a nice place? Good location? etc. close to restaraunts,beaches,etc? Any info is appreciated as I have never visited the island.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 12:15 PM
Charles

I'm not too sure which one the island inn is, but I'm sure its in the center of the town of Oak Bluffs. The town is on the water, so you should be at most a 5 minute walk to a beach and a two or three minute walk to a restaurant. Several ferrys come into OB from the mainland, so its convenient in that respect as well. And there is good, frequent bus service to the other down islnad towns (Edgartown and Vineyard Haven). Possible downsides are that OB is one of the only two towns where liquor can be sold, so it has most of the island's bars. It also is heavily invaded by day trippers, and thus can be crowded. The island in general is a beautiful, wonderful place, and Oak Bluffs has a lot to offer. Please post if you have any other questions - I know the Vineyard extremely well - I usually spend the summer there.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 05:19 AM
jackie

thanks so much for the info. another question is what are avg. daytime and nighttime temps mid aug.? also can you rent mopeds and tour most of the island or are they restricted in any way? again thanks.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 07:44 PM
Beth

Hi Jackie,
yes, you can rent mopeds to tour the island, and they are not restricted (or weren't the last time I was there). But you should be very careful. The roads are pretty full of cars and bicycles and I've seen a lot of careless moped riders get into trouble. Its likely to be very hot in mid August. In the 80's in the daytime, a little cooler at night, particularly if you are close to the beach. Of course, it can get very hot, 90's or 100 even, and it can be very humid.

There are quite a few new restaurants in Oak Bluffs, plenty of places to eat, or enjoy music at night.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Charles

A minor addition/correction to the above.

THere are no restrictions on Mopeds. We keep trying, but haven't suceeded yet. People get hurt on them (badly) every summer. And Vineyarders hate them with a passion - being seen on one will not make people friendlier.

The weather in August is usually wonderful - that's why its so popular. Usually in the 80s and breezy during the day, and around high 60s to 70 at night.
During the average summer the temperature NEVER goes above 90, and a hundred is almost inconceivable - it would be a record. You can check temperatures for different days on wunderground.com. As it is an island (and surrounded by water) it is usually pretty humid. However, the temperature is so pleasant that almost no one owns an air conditioner - you don't need one.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 06:14 PM
WeatherMan

Beth, it's never reached 100 degrees in recorded history in MV (per the MV weather page). 90's are uncommon, for that matter.