Is this itinerary insane???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 14-16 day trip to Alaska in August without a cruise and want to visit both the Anchorage area and the Inner Passage. This is our possible itinerary. What would you cut out and why? I think we are attempting too much! Thanks.

Day 1 -- fly to Anchorage; drive to Girdwood (stay in Girdwood)
Day 2 -- drive to Whittier; boat trip on Prince William Sound; return to Girdwood
Day 3 -- drive to Seward; Exit Glacier; stay in Seward
Day 4 -- Kenai boat trip; drive to Anchorage
Day 5 -- fly to Juneau; touring in Juneau
Day 6 -- boat trip to Tracy Arm; return to Juneau
Day 7 -- boat to Haines; boat to Skagway; stay in Skagway
Day 8 -- Skagway train ride; fly to Gustavus; stay in Gustavus
Day 9 -- Glacier Bay boat tour; fly to Sitka
Day 10-- see Sitka; fly to Juneau
Day 11-- ferry to Petersburg
Day 12-- Petersburg
Day 13-- ferry to Ketchikan
Day 14-- Misty Fjords boat trip; return to Ketchikan
Day 15 -- fly from Ketchikan
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:49 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It's quite ambitious on the travel front - you will spend a good deal of your time making and breaking camp.

I would first suggest that the Whittier tour on PW Sound is somewhat (not totally) redundant with the Kenai Fjords/Resurrection Bay experience you'll have out of Seward. I would frankly nix day 2 in favor of hanging more locally around Girdwood - take a leisurly drive to Portage, also to Hope, then return to Girdwood - maybe ride the tram, have dinner at the Double Musky, things like that.

If your accommodations in Girdwood are nice (e.g., the Alyeska resort) then you might consider even making the Kenai Fjords day a daytrip; you'd be able to stop at Exit Glacier on your way to/from the cruise, but you'd have the advantage of not wasting time and energy relocating accommodations. You might get back a little late, but not that bad.

Be mindful of which nights of the week you'd be staying in major cruise stops, especially Seward - you don't want to compete with umpteen cruisers for a room.

Your itinerary in SE Alaska seems a bit much. Glacier Bay is nice, Skagway also, but often overwhelmed with cruise daytrippers. Petersburg is also pleasant but not sure if it's worth a day and a half. I would probably go straight to Ketchikan and do the Misty Fjords and save Petersburg for another time.

In general, your itinerary is obviously very watery, and that's okay - but you'll be missing some exposure to the interior and non-coastal parts of the state. If it was me on a first trip, I'd probably do a loop Anchorage-Anchorage via Denali, Valdez, the ferry across PW Sound to Whittier; maybe the Kenai Fjords; then do a more limited itinerary in Southeast - Juneau/Gustavus/Skagway maybe, but little more.

You just can't see all of Alaska's variety in two weeks or twenty, so if you have to do some editing, make it easy on yourselves.

Happy planning.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 04:30 PM
jor

I spent 15 days in Alaska (Inside passage only) last summer.
Are you a millionair or what? I will give you one example of where you are missing the Journey. Taking the ferry to Sitka is like going up the Amazon river for a day and a half and finding civilization which you thought would not exist. It's an increadible journey. Flying there is a total cop out. You are missing out on the fun in exchange for convienence and time.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. No, we are not millionaires. Oddly enough, this itinerary will cost us LESS than a cruise. How does this revised itinerary sound?

Day 1 -- fly to Anchorage; drive to Girdwood
Day 2 -- Whittier; boat trip; return to Girdwood
Day 3 -- drive to Seward
Day 4 -- Kenai Fjords boat trip; Seward
Day 5 -- tour Anchorage
Day 6 -- fly to Juneau; tour Juneau
Day 7 -- boat to Skagway; tour Skagway; late boat to Haines
Day 8 -- tour Haines; late boat to Juneau
Day 9 -- Tracy Arm boat trip
Day 10 -- tour Juneau or whalewatching boat trip
Day 11 -- ferry to Ketchikan
Day 12 -- Misty Fjords boat trip
Day 13 -- fly to Sitka; tour Sitka
Day 14 -- Sitka
Day 15 -- return flight from Sitka
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 09:49 AM

My opinion only but, your planing does not allow much time at the destinations. You are arriving and leaving the same day and other days spending too much time in transit compared to the destination. I would add a week if you wish to visit your listing of destination and spread your trip allowing for a couple nights in some destinations. As for your cruise comparism, I find it hard to believe this is cheaper than a cruise which includes the accomdation and meals. I just booked a one way for $550 with a $75 ship credit.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 02:48 PM
MileKing

For most people, your itinerary would be way too much, but I don't think it's that bad (you can see my itinerary from 3 years ago below). Don't be put off by comments about flying as opposed to taking the ferry or a boat. While I do agree that many times the journey is just as enjoyable and important as the destination, flying does consume less time. And when you have limited vacation time, as many of us do, I can understand the desire to want to see as many of the sites as you can. Traveling late in the day, by whatever means, affords more daytime to see & do things when they are open.

In any event, there are certainly some things I would drop:
1. We went to Haines, but there is really not much there. Lots of eagles, but you can spot them all over Alaska. I will skip Haines next time I am in Alaska.
2. We didn't go to Whittier, but I agree with Gardyloo that the trip on Prince William Sound is redundant with the Kenai Fjords boat trip. It may also be redundant with the boat trip to Tracy Arm.
3. Misty Fjords boat trip is only good if you have nice weather. We didn't so it was somewhat of a disppointment. Unfortunately, you need to reserve in advance because the operator caters to the cruise crowd and your chances of getting a ticket day of trip during peak season is probably slim to none. I would skip this too next time around.

Our old itinerary:
Day 1 - arrive late in Ketchikan (via air)
Day 2 - Ketchikan
Day 3 - Misty Fjords boat trip; return to Ketchikan and take late flight to Sitka
Day 4 - Sitka; late flight to Juneau
Day 5 - Boat to Glacier Bay
Day 6 - Glacier Bay and then latest flight back to Juneau
Day 7 - Juneau
Day 8 - Juneau; late flight to Skagway
Day 9 - Skagway; late boat to Haines
Day 10 - Haines; late flight to Juneau connecting to Anchorage
Day 11 - Anchorage; drive to Seward
Day 12 - Kenai Fjords tour; return to Seward
Day 13 - Drive to Kenai/Soldotna area for some fishing; late drive to Homer
Day 14 - All day bear-viewing trip; return to Homer
Day 15 - Drive to Anchorage
Day 16 - Drive to Denali
Day 17 - Rafting trip in Denali area
Day 18-20 - Deep in Denali
Day 21 - Drive back to Anchorage
Day 22 - Early flight home

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:42 PM

I just got back from Alaska and I was in Haines, Skagway, Juneau & Ketchikan. As Gardyloo said, there really isn't much in Haines. It's perfect if you want a quiet place for a couple of days, but you don't need a full day and there to see the main sights. You can take the fast ferry from Skagway there and wander around for a few hours and go back to Skagway. I would say, stay in Skagway overnight, not Haines and do the White Pass Railroad trip. It's absolutely beautiful. There is a fast ferry from Juneau to Skagway in the summer months, so you can go that way too instead of the ferry. I enjoyed both the Glacier trip and the Kenai Fjord trips, so I'm glad you are keeping both of those. I wish I had gone to Tracy Arm, but didn't have time this trip. I love the water trips in Alaska. You always see so much from the boats. Other than that, I think Itinerary #2 is manageable.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the very helpful input. I was looking at a Cruise West cruise as an alternative, but the cost was $4,000+ per person for a week, and I think we can do the trip for less money ourselves. We are considering eliminating Ketchikan and Misty Fjords and instead getting off the ferry at Wrangell or Petersburg, spending a day there, and then going to Sitka. Does that make more sense, or is Ketchikan a must-see? Also, is anyone aware of small planes flying to Sitka from either Wrangell or Petersburg? I would love to take the ferry, but our tight schedule makes that difficult.

A few other questions. We wanted to see Haines to take a trip to the bald eagle preserve. Has anyone done this?

Where will we see the best glaciers?

How duplicative is Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay vs. Prince William Sound and Kenai?

How many days do you need to see Juneau?

Again, thanks for all of your input! We have never been to Alaska and have no idea when we might be able to do a return trip, so we'd really like to see the highlights.

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 10:20 AM

I was travelling around by ferry while I was up there and met quite a few people on the ferries. A couple I met had stopped off in Wrangell and when I saw them again in Skagway they told me there wasn't much to see in Wrangell, so I don't think I would bother going there. I did not particularly like Ketchikan, so I would say skip it, but I'm sure some other people will disagree with me. I did a flightseeing trip to the Misty Fjords because there were no boat trips the day I wanted to go and I was disappointed. I thought the Kenai Fjord trip was much better, but I think you will see the fjords better from a boat depending on if you have good weather. I was lucky and had sun most of the days I was in Alaska. I would do at least 2 days in Juneau, especially if you want to go to Tracy Arm. I don't know how many eagles are around Haines in the summer. I think they are there later. I did not go to the eagle preserve, but again, if you take the fast ferry to Haines from Skagway, you can do it on the day you go.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 05:42 AM

I have been to Haines and think it is very worthwhile, the eagle perserve has a great float trip and bear viewing is possible late Aug- Sept. Best glacier areas in my opinion is Glacier Bay and College Fjords, Sawyer glaciers are also worthwhile, all are different. I would allow 2 full days in Juneau.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 04:50 PM
MileKing

I'm not sure I would consider Ketchikan a must see, but it is one of the larger towns in Southeast Alaska. We enjoyed the totem pole park and walking around the small downtown area, but if that isn't your thing you would not miss much by passing on Ketchikan. Some people don't like the town because it gets so much rain; it is one of the rainiest cities in the U.S. and rained almost constantly while we were there. We found Sitka and Juneau more enjoyable. With the exception of Misty Fjords, one full day in Ketchikan is probably enough. I'm not sure what there is in Wrangell or Petersburg to draw your attention; we researched both of those towns and decided to pass on them.

For air service into Sitka, I believe Alaska Air flys direct from Ketchikan and thru Juneau from Wrangell and Petersburg (as well as Ketchikan). There is a commuter flight service called Admiralty Air that flys (Cessnas) from Petersburg and Wrangell also. No idea of schedule or prices, but they are at www.admiraltyair.freeservers.com. When transiting thru Juneau, be prepared for weather delays. The airport there gets a lot of fog and it is not uncommon for flights to be delayed for more than a day.

You will see many glaciers if you go to Glacier Bay, as well as on the Kenai Fjords tour (the longer ones).

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Ok. Here is a further revised and hopefully final itinerary.

Day 1 -- fly Anchorage; stay in Girdwood
Day 2 -- Whittier; boat trip; stay in Girdwood
Day 3 -- drive to Seward
Day 4 -- Kenai Fjord boat trip; return to Anchorage
Day 5 -- fly to Haines via Juneau
Day 6 -- a few hours in Haines; boat to Skagway
Day 7 -- Skagway; train ride and touring
Day 8 -- boat to Juneau; tour Juneau
Day 9 -- Tracy Arm
Day 10 -- Juneau
Day 11 -- ferry to Ketchikan
Day 12 -- Ketchikan; fly to Sitka
Day 13 -- Sitka
Day 14 -- Sitka
Day 15 -- fly from Sitka.

I think this is a bit saner. Thanks for all of the input. If you can recommend a place to stay in Haines or Seward, I would really appreciate it. Most of the places we called in Seward are fully booked in mid-August.

Also, a tip for those trying to save money and do it themselves. Alaska Air allows for open jaw trips and stopovers at no extra cost. We were able to book 4 different flights in one itinerary for a very reasonable price.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:03 AM

Quintiple X, your itinerary is insane. However, if you're insane in general, then perhaps your course of action is perfectly rationale.

No use straightening the picture frames when the ship is listing to the left.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:06 AM
Tiiimeisonmyside

No, rest easy, you are not insane. But look, next time, why not check with us first, before you get weded to a schedule and route. Given some time, we might have tweeked the plan to build in a unique twist, perhaps with some canoe work thrown in.

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:04 PM
MileKing

There are not many places to stay in Haines. We were at the Captains Choice Motel which is OK, but nothing special. In Seward, we stayed at the Hotel Edgewater. Very nice, clean, and new, but also pricey. Then again, most hotels in Seward cost $$$.

Your revised itinerary looks good to me. Two full days in Sitka is a lot; we spent only a day there, and wish we had more like 1-1/2 days.

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:50 PM

I'm not sure that I think this itinerary is better. I think it's a shame you aren't spending more time near Seward. It really is one of the prettiest places in Alaska. Saw the Captain's Choice while I was in Haines and it's more of motel than hotel, but it's AAA recommended and the rooms do look out at the bay. It's a very quiet town. Try the Wild Strawberry for a nice meal. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:38 AM

Hello xxxxx:

I hesitate (some posters can be mean) to jump in but I will...

In Haines try The Fort Seward Lodge.

In Skagway try the Westmark if they are not full.

I am going to Alaska for a month...I leave shortly...

I am no expert and some who have replied to you were quite helpfull on another travel board, as I planned, researched and revised my plans
over the past 6 months.

If you have the time I suggest you visit the cruisecritic boards under ports of call for Alaska...INVALUABLE!!!

I do find your journey to possibly be a bit heavy on "travel" vs "soaking" if you will. However, their are two of you so one gets to "soak-it-all-in" while the other gets you there...

I would maybe move a Sitka day to allow more time for something else...maybe.

My independent and solo journey is as follows:

Day 1-3: Amtrack to Vancouver

Day 4: Vancouver

Day 5: B.C. Ferry to Victoria

Day 6: Island Coach to Port Hardy

Day 7: B.C. Ferry to Prince Rupert

Day 8: Prince Rupert

Day 9 & 10: Alaska Marine Highway Ferry/Cruise to Juneau

Day 11: Juneau

Day 12: Tracy Arm Day Cruise/Juneau

Day 13: Juneau

Day 14: Alaska Marine Ferry to Haines

Day 15: Fast Ferry to Skagway

Day 16: Skagway/White Pass

Day 17: Skagway/Alaska Marine Ferry to Juneau

Day 18: Juneau/ Ferry to Sitka

Day 19: Sitak/ Ferry to Juneau

Day 20: Juneau/ Alaska Airlines to Glacier Bay

Day 21: Glacier Bay/Tour

Day 22: Glacier Bay/ Alaska Air to Anchorage

Day 23: Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Seward

Day 24: Seward

Day 25: Seward/ 8 hour Fjord Cruise/tour
Alaska Rail(evening)to Anchorage

Day 26: 26 Glacier Cruise/Anchorage

Day 27: Anchorage

Day 28: Alaska Railroad to Denali

Day 29: Denali Tour & more...

Day 30: Denali/ Alaska Rail to Fairbanks

Day 31: Fairbanks

Day 32: Fairbanks/ Car to North Pole & Chena Hot Springs

Day 33: Drive to Fairbanks/Fairbanks...Fly home

Ok, I wondered if I might be seeing tooo many glaciers (Glacier Bay, Mendenhall, Tracy Arms,26 Glaciers etc...). I will let you know when I return...they are all suppose to be different(smile).

I wanted to cruise on a luxury line but the cost for one person was as you found it to be for two people...EXPENSIVE.

I am not a millionare. I save and invest and pray...LOTS! I am doing a mix of luxury, budget and moderate hotels/B&B's. I do have a window Berth on my inside Passage journey. We will stop at several ports of call along the way.

I will be dining within a range of budget, elaborate, moderate and "brown-bag" categories as well.

I have a ton of excursions, tours, museums, shopping, fishing, hiking, bike riding, horse riding and so on planned for my days and nights.

I will have three pieces of luggage which has never been a problem for me.
I like to look good and smell good
(I am a girl) which means I do bring a small boutique when I travel.

Hope this helps!

Oaktown Traveler

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Oaktown traveler, for your helpful information. I hope you have a great trip! I think we will be ok with our current itinerary, although we remain open to all suggestions.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

By the way, if I were you I would fly from Sitka directly to Glacier Bay rather than taking the long ferry ride back to Juneau and flying from there. I found direct flights from Sitka to Glacier bay (which is a short flight). Good luck!
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:27 AM

Dear xxxxx:

What GREAT advice. I was trying to figure out how I was going to change clothes etc. with what I had planned...

I am flying out of Sita to Juneau to Glacier Bay. A total of two 30 minute flights vs. 17 hours on the Ferry(!).

I also got a great place to stay in Sitka.

MANY MANY THANKS!!!!!!

Oaktown Traveler

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -