Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is This A Good Car Rental Rate For Honolulu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2008, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can get about $18 day for 15 days in September ... that includes everything, taxes, fees, etc. with Alamo, using a AARP Rate, and she said she would apply a $20 Entertainment Coupon which doesn't sound right to me??? Anyhoooooo ... still debating if I want to get a car for the whole time or just for the week in Kailua. I'm thinking since we can do most outside-Waikiki/Honolulu things the first week, maybe we could just use the bus and an occasional cab or trolley for the historic/around town stuff the last eight days. Decisions, decisions ... If we didn't have the car the first week, wouldn't consider not having one in Waikiki ...
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 01:42 PM

Doesn't sound like a bad rate I believe that's about what we paid at Enterprise last July.
You may want to check the week before you leave to see if it is any better as you never know.
For Waikiki how is the parking where you're staying?
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

hulajake, the rate for parking, valet only, at our hotel is $25/day to which you're adding tips every time. Having the car at Kailua for the first week (we can venture to the rest of the island then), I'm thinking maybe we don't need to spend that $50/day (rental & parking) in Waikiki. Being familiar with the Bus and Trolley and wanting to relax a lot at the beach and pool, I think we might be wasting money! Thanks for your reply!
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 06:25 PM

If you are toward the Diamond Head end of Waikiki, you can park at Resortquest Waikiki Banyan for $10 a day.

If you are on Ala Moana end of Waikiki, you can park at Hale Koa garage or open lot for $12 a day.

You can see Oahu much better with a car.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Dusty, you give the best info on Hawaii. Thanks ... we all appreciate it!

We will be at the Outrigger Waikiki. I think we're going to give it a try with no car (except for the first week on Kailua Beach) ... then if we feel we're missing too much that way, we'll go ahead and rent one.

Our eight days in Waikiki will include the Aloha Festival days of September 11, 12, 13. I hope that is a good thing ... What do you think? Any advice on how best to enjoy that?