is there anything fun to do in tarrytown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband I are are looking fro things to do in NY for 4th fo july weekend. we just did NYC and the hamptons have too long of a minimum stay requirement. we found a good rate for the Castle in tarrytown, btu wonder if there is anything fun to do. we are in our mid 30s and like great dinners,lounging by a pool and resort type experiences.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Hi mamby,
our nephew lives right by the Castle, I would be interested in how you like it, I have heard from others that they enjoyed staying there.
We would usually go to Tarrytown in the fall, it is so beautiful in NY in Autumn. They might have Farmers Markets in the area. There are a number of wonderful historic homes/sights to visit, here is a list:

Washington Irving's ( The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle) historic Sunnyside residence (Route 9) renovated Dutch cottage.

Home to the Rockefellers is Kykuit , a six story stone house surrounded by landscapes, fountains, and sculptures. You can tour the mansion on 87 acres in Pocantico Hills, Sleepy Hollow

Philipsburg Manor (Route 9, Sleepy Hollow, an 18th-century farm and gristmill restored by John D. Rockefeller.
Lyndhurst ( Broadway; ) an amazing American Gothic Revival home.
They have concerts here in the summer, on the grounds.
We actually found Pups breeder at a dogshow held at Lyndhurst in September one year
We never ate there, but there are a couple of popular places to eat right in town.
Have fun~
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Scarlett has pretty much covered the highlights. It's beautiful up there. Here's a website with more info

http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genIn...?locIndex=1782
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Scarlett has given you an excellent list of places to visit. Put Kykuit on the top of your things-to-do list.
You can't do any better than the Castle as a place to stay in that area. We haven't eaten there since the new management took over two or so years, so I'm not sure the high dining quality of the past is still there.
There is a new restaurant--The Stone Barns--that has just opened on the nearby Rockefeller property. It's very popular. I'd make dinner reservations now, though you may already be too late.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:40 AM

On this thread http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34504914
about Le Parker Meridien, I happened to notice this post that I thought would interest you

Author: stockexchanger
Date: 06/07/2004, 11:00 pmMessage: Best burgers in NYC.
Very funky rooms. We had a suite with our kids. Flat screen tv that swiveled on a pillar, funky shower, everything is new and retro and very cool. Fun experience. The restaurant for breakfast is also great but not cheap. Worth it to try once. We would definitely stay here again. Great for walking.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Yikes Mamby---wrong thread. Sorry
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:21 AM

Passed through Tarrytown a couple of weeks ago and ate at Stone Barns. http://www.bluehillstonebarns.com/bhsb.html
The setting and the food are incredible. And being seated at a table next to Robert Redford did nothing to detract from the experience. If you have trouble getting a reservation through the restaurant, try Open Table.