Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there anything exciting about Tybee Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 07:32 PM
Debbie

Been there once before back in 1985 and remember it being boring and trashy. Unfortunately, we're having a family reunion there in July. Has anything changed? Like perhaps cleaner, or some sort of shopping, dining(anything besides Williams Seafood)or nightlife on the beach?

Would love some input. Perhaps something I could look forward too!

Thank You,

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 04:33 AM
cmcdaniel

Debbie, The north end of the island has seen some development since you were in Tybee last, and there is now a spiffy new pier, but otherwise it's pretty much unchanged. Of course, that's what the Savannahians love about it too. I could never understand the lure of Tybee when we lived in Savannah, but then, I didn't grow up there so don't have those fond memories of summertimes spent at the family cottage, or see them in any other light than the one you see now. Some day that island will take off and it may be one of the last great land bargains left on the southeast coast!

The nicer, more family-oriented areas of the beach are at the north end near the lighthouse.

Because downtown Savannah is just 20 minutes away with the clubs and restaurants of River St and City Market, night life at Tybee has never taken off.

I do have another restaurant to recommend to you. The Crab Shack is nothing fancy, and it truly is a shack, (don't let the location or outside appearance deter you!) with some picnic tables outside or seating inside in the screened in area--a fun and funky sort of Key West ambience. This is a local (Savannah as well as Tybee) favorite. The seafood isn't all fried, plenty of boiled shrimp or crabs, expended shells are pushed into a hole in the center of the table (trash can below). It's located on Estil Hammock Rd, off the south side of Hwy 80 between Ft. Pulaski and Tybee.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 07:59 AM
Jennifer

Debbie-

Tybee is a wonderful place to have a family reunion. My boyfriend's parents have a condo on Tybee where they stay every weekend. The island is quaint. The only chain restaurant on the island is Arby's. They have been building what appears to be condos and/or hotels on the island. They also recently added more sand to the beach. Although there isn't much to see or do there (I recommend at least going to the top of the lighthouse), Savannah is close by, and there's lots to see and do there. Maybe you could take day trips there to tour the city, shop on River Street and City Market, etc. Have fun, and enjoy it!

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 12:46 PM
Daniel

Tybee is far from "charming," but if you stop off at Teeple's restaurant in Thunderbolt (on River Road just before the Wilmington River bridge if you're coming from Savannah) you'll have the best down-home lowcountry seafood I have had in a long, long time along with the pleasure of watching "real" Savannah culture flow by at the other tables.

Order yourself a platter of steamed crabs or a bucket of oysters and get MESSY.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 08:38 AM
TARYN

Can't imagine why anyone would want to go to TAAABEE ISLAND. If you happen to get stranded there, is one thing, but to purposely go there for a vacation, no thanks! - ugliest beach I've ever seen.