Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there a friendlier place than San Francisco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from a 5-day family trip to San Francisco, and we were all amazed at how absolutely NICE the people were. Time after time, people would ask if we needed help finding a place, or choosing a bus stop. They asked where we were from (the southern accents gave us away...) People offered advice, and just chatted with us in every neighborhood we visited. We felt very welcome- Thank you San Francisco!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:40 PM
SAB

You're welcome!! I think many of us realize that tourism is our major industry, plus it's hard to not to help some poor benighted soul with a map looking lost. Just don't drive around at rush hour looking at the sights, then all bets are off!!!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:48 PM

I have no idea where else you have been in your travels, but my experience is that people are nice everywhere except in some big-city segments in the northeast U.S. (NYC, for example). And even in NYC, there are some nice folks; they are just more rare.

I have not been overly impressed with the kindness and friendliness of people in San Francisco, but in general I have found them to be affable. As a specific answer to your question -- yes, there are lots of places that have impressed me as being more friendly than San Francisco. They are usually the smaller towns, and they are usually in the south or the midwest. There's something about a small town environment that seems to spawn a much more friendly attitude among its citizens.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:53 PM
SAB

Wow, someone needs an introduction to hyperbole.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:23 PM
JohnWM

Yes, I too remember fondly the friendly persons I met as a tourist in San Francisco.

I also encounter daily many helpful persons here in New York.

Friendly persons in the South? Oh, do you mean the persons who brag about how their ancestors used to lynch black persons, but now deny that it ever happened? Or could you mean the Southern church men and women who couldn't manage to be friendly or civilized to any persons not belonging to their particular church? Or do you mean the Southerners who brag that they are American and so you must be something else? Well I suppose if you happen to find that behavior friendly and to your benefit, well, yes, small towns in the South are very friendly. Puleeze, give us a break, Wayne!

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:43 PM

Hi onthego, personally I am glad that you were treated well in SF. I think most people in SF are wonderful also. And of course that is not taking away from pleasant,friendly and nice people in other places.

It sounds like you had a good visit in SF, hope you can come back again. Best wishes.

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:19 AM

As a San Franciscian, thank you for the beautiful compliment. I do try to offer help when I can, in fact yesterday I saw someone in a parking lot while I was walking to my car, they were in a convertible looking at a map, so I walked over to them to see if they needed help or advice. I remember when I first moved here 16 years ago, that so many people were helpful to me! I'm an East Coaster, and if I was in NYC (I'm not knocking it, I love it there) but I couldn't find advice or help from anyone. In SF, for example, in Union Square, just open a map, and 5 people will run over to offer help and advice! I'm glad you had such a nice experience! I too, find SF people friendly. I know my neighbourhood drycleaner, market, pet store, cafe, and neighbours, all by name. A friend visiting from the midwest was shocked! She has lived in her house 8 years and doesn't even know the neighbours next to her!

So, once again, thanks for the beautiful compliment! We accept with pride. Please come visit again!!!

Andiamo
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:14 AM

I'm in San Francisco right now, and the people are generally nice (with the exception of the aggressive panhandlers -- why is it tolerated??)

But the friendliest, most helpful people are definitely in Manhattan, New York City.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Thank you, OnTheGo, I agree wholeheartedly.

Gekko, why is it tolerated? Because not every tourist follows the rule "don't give cash, send in a small check".
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to those who understood that my post was meant as a sincere compliment to San Franciscians. I didn't imagine that it would be used as a springboard for bashing other groups -especially
southerners! NOT necessary...
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:03 AM
SAB

onthego--I hope you realized that my second post was not intended for you, I did realize that you were enthusiastically conveying a compliment.

Gekko--if someone figures out how we can get rid of panhandlers, they will have the enternal gratitude of many SF residents. As noted part of the problem is that it works and it works well on tourists. Kind of like trolls--i.e. if you don't engage they go away. If the panhandlers weren't sucessful, they wouldn't be around. Another issue is that any aggressive enforcement of nuisance laws by the police brings the "homeless coalition" out in force. SF is not a large city with a large electorate and a relatively small group of dedicated individuals can exert a great deal of pressure on elected officials. This can be good or bad depending on your viewpoint, so groups like the homeless coalition can bring quite a lot of pressure to bear on the Board of Supervisors and they are more vocal than those of us who want more enforcement. So why do we tolerate the panhandlers-- we don't, but other than not giving money and advising others not to, there's not a lot we can do.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Nice to know, I have never been to SF.

I would agree with the assessment that friendliness seems to be more prevalent in smaller towns. In my area, I am glad to offer directional help to those who appear in need but I often hold off for fear of scaring them. Not that I am a scary guy but just a stranger approaching in the big metro area.

But lets face it, most everyone here is nice and is here because they want to help. Some of my smart alec posts aside!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Just back from San Fran and Cailifornia trip, every where we went people were friendly.
GEKO,
We went to a free concert ( Lucinda Williams ) in San Fran, promoters kept asking for donations to keep this concert free.
Went on the free walking tours of San Fran that were offered and were reminded numerous times that the free tours could use a donation.
Went to a church in San Fran China Town, as we approached the church there was a street person soliciting donations (not for the church), when we came out of the church 15 min later another street person had taken over the same spot and was soliciting donations.
Could it be just a culteral thing to keep asking for a hand out.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:19 AM

In response to John, I've travelled to Atlanta and Birmingham within the last 12 months on business (spend nearly 2 weeks in B'ham) and found most people to be incredibly welcoming and tolerant..unlike your obnoxious post. Why don't you give us all a break and stop posting offensive comments...utterly uncalled for and ridiculous. I've noticed a lot more of this on these threads recently. There are plenty of other places you can "vent" if you want to be offensive. You're an embarassment to the rest of us New Yorkers and unfortunately perpetuate the stereotype that we're "liberal" in politick only and bigoted in every other sense.

As for the friendliest, everyone I've met from Wisconsin seems to be the nicest person in the world..must be the cheese.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:36 AM

N.Y. JETS,
In Wisconsin we just don't eat the cheese we cut it.
In Wisconsin we get along fine with just about everyone, except maybe for those chicago Bear fans and the rest of them flatlanders that come up to our north woods and drink are Milwaukee Beer and then pee in our lakes. And those Viking fans to the west of us we just tolerate them because they are so pitiful. But everyone else is fine except...
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey, we're nice all along the west coast (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle).
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Hi onthego,
I was in SF in March and experienced the same feeling that you did. I have never ever been so amazed at the friendliness of an entire city. I posted many of the same comments that you just did addressing how impressed I was. Luckily, the idiots stayed away from my post and I only had appreciative replies. Glad you had a good time!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Atilla -and everyone else. I think John needs to chill out on a beach somewhere. I guess I don't have to worry about running into him on one of our beautiful beaches here in the South!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:28 PM

attila,
how friendly is it to call people idiots?
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:29 AM

boombacca, you are absolutely right, I apologize. That was out of line. A few posts on this thread unfortunately are out of line and I should not have followed suit.

peace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -