Reload this Page >

Is the road to Hana closing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2000, 05:46 PM
sammie

I was reading a Pleasantholidays web site on Hawaii, there was an undated story about the Road to Hana closing weekdays for construction.
Is this true? What are the closure dates?

Old May 25th, 2000, 04:56 AM
Charlie

Hi Sammie
That was old info.,the road to Hana construction completed approx. last September(1999).

Old May 25th, 2000, 04:16 PM
sammie

Thanks for the information. What a relief. The Hana trip was at the top of our must do list and we are planning our trip now. Glad to hear no current road issues.
If you are familiar with Maui any suggestions would be welcome. We are a family of 4, with an 18 and 21y.o. We want to do some snorkel boat trips, etc.
We have reservations for Old Lahanai Luau so far. going second week of June.

Old May 26th, 2000, 09:53 AM
Charlie

Hi Sammie
You've made a great choice with the old Lahaina Luau, I know you'll be very pleased.When you drive the road to Hana start early and drive ALL THE WAY AROUND its a long day but worth it(IMHO).Also take along a picnic lunch and some goodies you'll see lotsa places to stop and relax.If you are enjoying clear weather take a drive to the top of Haleakala I believe you will enjoy the scenery and vistas,I would start to drive up at about 9AM,unless you really want to witness sunrise(I think its over rated considering how early you must start out).If you have any questions E mail me and I'll help if I can,have a fun trip.

Old May 26th, 2000, 11:28 AM
GrogArgh

I just got back this monday (may 22, 2000) from Maui and my opinion of the road to HANA is...

NAUSEATING!! Don't yell just yet, it is definitely WORTH IT with all the beautiful waterfalls and jungle atmosphere... definitely plan to do it at early morning... dont wait til later in the day because even though the road is about 50+ miles, you would think you could make it all the way in about an hour - WRONG... It took us over 2 hours to do it...whya? there are over 600+ hairpin turns and well I got sick (im serious) there are moments that all you do is turn the wheel all the way to the left, then immediately all the way to right.... and so on and so on for HOURS.

Sorry for being sensitive. Would i do it again? well.... maybe in a year but not anytime soon...

Old May 28th, 2000, 10:04 AM
Amanda

Hi Sammie! My mom and dad took me and my sister (ages 18 and 21 at the time) to Maui and Kuaui a year and a half ago. It was the best trip of my life and we made wonderful family memories. The road to Hana is very nauseating...but worth it. Just take some dramamine and rent a convertible and the trip is much better. The ride down Haleakala is beautiful but wasn't the hilite of my trip. My sister and I loved Lahania. There are lots of fun restaurants and shops there. Go at night when all the action is there. I would recommend going to see the sunrise on Haleakala. We didn't do it while we were there because my sister and I complained about getting up so early but now I regret it. Our days were packed with sightseeing and we wish we had more time to just relax on the beach. But you should definitely rent a convertible. It was worth the extra $$$. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 08:21 PM
Cathy

Sammie,

We just came back from Maui and took the road to Hana. It is not closed and construction is completed. We were there 10 years ago. Both times we enjoyed it. However, this time we enjoyed it more because we stayed overnight and had plenty of time to enjoy the sights. I have to say that this year there is not much rain so the waterfalls didn't seem as great as my first drive.

Cathy