Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is The Economy Going To Take Me Down With It?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Vulnerable

I feel really nervous about the economy, and I am so paralyzed by my economic worries that I don't feel like I can splurge on anything. I've lost a ton in the stock market, my 401K is dropping like a stone, and property values have to start declining soon due to the layoffs. If hubby or I lost our jobs, we'd be in big trouble. Our anniversary is this weekend, and we don't even want to drop $100 on dinner and a movie. We might just eat at home and rent a movie.

I don't know why I'm telling you this, really. How can I possibly book a beach rental for next summer and think about visiting the other coast for Christmas -- which are things we do every year? Can someone say anything to help me get over this feeling that I should hang onto every dime I have right now? How are you all dealing with this?

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Doc

Please go get some counseling, better yet go to the Mall and buy something..

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Reality

If we all keep harping about this bad economy it's going to become a self- fulfilling prophecy. Everybody needs to chill out. There is nothing wrong with watching your spending for the time being -- looking out for #1 doesn't mean you're playing into the hands of enemy as some would have you believe. Once we all have some idea of what's expected of us in this new "war", things will begin to turn around, but for right now "wait and see" is the order of the day and is a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Ginny

You know I get really ticked off at selfish people like you Vulnerable. I had a biopsy yesterday amid all this turmoil and I can tell you that money is the LAST thing on my mine!!! Shame on you! Why don't you and Stacy go volunteer to give blood, deliver meals on wheels or do something CONSTRUCTIVE instead of whining about yourselves!!!!

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:55 AM
remember the last recession

Remember the last recession in the early 1990s and the so called Reagan recession in early 1980s, well it is the early 2000s. I see a trend. Maybe we need a recession every ten years to stop over capacity in our economy.

Trouble is the first poster and the media acts like the sky is falling and it will never get better. Other than some people helping out after the disaster there is never any good news on TV. The media and people like Vunerable just keep telling us how bad it is creating a self fullfilling event.

If you hear 100 times a week that the economy is heading south and that you are going to lose your job anyday you do the logical thing and stop spending money, the result a recession just as the media ordered!

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Judy

Doc: I just took your advice and bought some "things" today. I never felt more patriotic! >g<
And Vulnerable: you are doimg more harm than good, Go out to dinner & flick, laugh, have fun.... for you just never know!
Carpe diem!
Hand wringing does no one any good, IMHO. Judy

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:04 PM
BC

I went out and bought new carpet for my house today from a Mom and Pop carpet store. The owner told me their business has been down and they were very happy I chose to buy carpet from them. The economy affects all of us and if we hunker down and quit spending it will have a ripple effect. We can not panic and we can not quit living.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:20 PM
L

Greenspan is worth heeding. He says we were hurt on the 11th, but he believes the economy is substantially strong and that we have a good chance of coming out of this, in time. He will cut rates again this year if necessary. But don't we have more fundamental issues to be concerned about ... such as how Bush plans to implement a strategy that is not fully developed. Are you planning to watch him tonight? By the way, anyone recall the misery index when Carter left office? urely we are in better shape financially now. Is it really our economy that deserves most of our immediate attention? What about the terror and the perpetrators? I am sorry you will not spend $100 for your anniversary ... but I simply do not understand that precaution. Am I confused, or is that a large amount of money? My 401 has fallen too. My wife's too. Property values will be hurt too, and I need that money. But there are bigger fish to fry. Lets hope Bush matures and develops a vision. I am so tired of hearing him say our stragtety is to "smoke 'em out of the hole, get 'em running and get 'em." Which he said per the Post. I am praying he gets into a new gear tonight. Ciao

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:32 PM
al

Once again Leone is the voice of reason, but really, L, don't worry about Bush and the "war all-stars". Thank God we've got Powell and not Albright, and thank God we don't have Gore up there talking about lockboxes. You may disagree with them but please support them. Our lives depend on it.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:53 PM
WyattEarp

Leone: You are right on the money regarding Bush...but, please, don't forget "Wanted...dead or alive". Ah, the man should be riding herd on cattle; git along little doggie.
Now, don't everybody get their shorts in a knot about this! I still support the Pres.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Vulnerable

You know what? Just forget it.

I see no reason to attack me and ridicule me. I'm not telling anyone else not to spend. I am not saying you should pity me as though I were dying of cancer. I just have a sick feeling about the economy (among other things), and I find it difficult to do the "patriotic" thing and keep right on spending as though nothing has happened. If no one else is battling these feelings, fine.

Thanks to the people with the decency to discuss this without getting nasty.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Robert

Our lives depend on not having an opinion? I think our lives depend on learning about what we are dealing with in this part of the world. If we are lead into war and this is not a ground war we can fight what will happen? What will happen if a global Jihad is launched because of indiscriminate bombing. We all need to learn about what the issues are here and looking at American papers alone will not help you with this. I am sick of hearing people attribute this attack to a people that hate democracy when there is a long list of western encroachments in that region. I would like the American media to deal with this more squarely so that we all know what we are dealing with. Having said that in the mean time people should be going online for information on this conflict. I found more information from the BBC, Guardian (British), Jim Lehrer Newshour on line.

Although, I guess then our leader will not be able to you use phrases like smoke em out, dead or alive. That mighty fetching lingo if people really think it could work.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 01:01 PM
L

I will do better than support W ... I plan to pray for him. He needs a higher power. Okay, we have Powell ... but when is he going to begin laying out our foreign policy and being the Secretary? What is our vision? Don't we need to be part of the international community? And when is Rice going to disappear ... she said her role was to coordinate, to make sure W. got the inforation he needs for decisions. Ask her to stop talking to the media about foreign policy. She was a budget cutter at Stanford .. she speaks Russian ... I have two cats and like Italian and French, and cook reasonable well, and know my wines. And when are we going to see Cheney and not think that's the guy running things. And by the way, Dick, when you're on Meet The Press next time, don't call them Packies or Paks, please. Remember, Dick, that's where we're basing some of our jets. They are taking a horrible chance being with us this time. I hope George gets us off the war footing, takes the wild west out of the picture, and asks the media to tone it down a notch. I'm going to try to support W. But it's not for free. I'm expecting something in return. He'd better do better ... so far he's a disaster in the international arena, the very place he's now set the focus of his administration ... his words. Ciao

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 01:05 PM
suprised

L...
I'm really starting to like you.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 01:08 PM
WyattEarp

Surprised: ME TOO!

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 01:10 PM
xxx

Vulnerable: You have a right to feel nervous, the economy is important and everyone reacts differently. The older you are, generally reflects the level of fear. It's much easier for a 30 year old to land a new job and make up for a bad year or two, than it is for a 50 year old. So if you are closer to 30 than 50 your fears are probably unfounded or at least overblown.

Having said that, regardless of your age, someone once told me "not to act unemployed, until you are unemployed". If you are afraid to spend money while you and your husband are working, what will you do if one or both of you get laid off?

Temper your spending but don't get carried away.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 01:14 PM
al

Of course you can have an opinion. All I'm saying is that, like it or not, Dubya's our man and we have to give him the benefit of the doubt. And, like Leone suggested, a little prayer couldn't hurt either.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Robert

Vulnerable don't take it personally everyone is wired and a lot of young kids are home.

I think your concerns about the economy are grounded. I am not spending the money I would have two weeks ago. Other people on this board that have larger amounts set aside can keep the economy moving. God Bless The Rich

Movie and dinner at home sounds good to me. Be glad you have each other. We all need to cover ourselves as we see fit. You know what you can afford. We can't control what the future might bring but is it logical to spend less when war is looming and a Stock market is dipping before our eyes.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Laura

Vulnerable, ignore those people. I think we are all uptight right now and have no one to lash out on, and this is such an 'igcognito' site, that I think some people are just getting it out of their systems this way. Frankly, I don't see how our worrying about supporting ourselves in any way diminishes our deep grief and shock and anger over what happened in New York (and what could happen still...who knows where).

Of course we are all upset about the economy and we are all upset about how our way of life has been turned upside down, and we are all upset about our youth having to go who knows where and fight and maybe die.

But, we still have to live and, as we are in our mid-fifties, have been working to beef up our retirement so our last years won't be a burden on our daughters and their families.

We have been wringing our hands this past year with this lousy economy and now this....well, we are worried sick, too. It seems like the economy is in a domino slide and it is scarier than h***.

I agree with you...I am having a hard time thinking about spending money on things that aren't absolute necessities right now, too. The company my husband works for is offering retirement packages right now...but we are too young and can't afford that so soon. But if he turns it down, then will he get put out of work, anyway? Chrysler has done that to a lot of people...the company my husband works for could just as easily do that too. And what is happening in the world right now, especially here, is going to cost many, many people their jobs. Of course so many of us are worried.

I have no answer, Vulnerable. But our parents, and their parents before them survived two world wars and the United States got stronger each time.

We will again, too. You'll see.

By the way, happy anniversary. I know you probably don't feel much like celebrating. (my birthday is next Monday...bad enough it's my 55th, too, on top of all this, but hey, at least I am alive.....)

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 03:11 PM
OliveOyl

Vulnerable,

xxx and Laura took the words right out of my mouth. I'd partially written a reply to you, then got a phone call requiring me to go to my online brokerage acct (yikes! hubby has me buying when all I want to do is sell!), and lost that message, but xxx's first paragraph was just about verbatim what mine had been. If it's any comfort, there are lots of us in your shoes.

The losses have been horrendous even leading up to the 11th. I emailed my brother that hubby and I were buying a house and retiring on X Street, naming the slumiest street in the town we grew up in. He's an investment banker...it gave him something to laugh about today. Anyway, just keep October, 1998 in mind, and how rapidly the market regained its losses. That's not to say it will be that fast this time, but it WILL happen! We'll all be OK.

And Ginny, if it's any consolation, there are plenty of us who have been in your shoes too. I know that panic waiting for a call on a biopsy, having been through it 4 (!) times myself, all with good news at the end of that interminable wait. Let us know...

The shock of the tragedy is just maginfying whatever other fears we are dealing with. We're all raw nerves, so lets show compassion for each other's nightmares. None are insignficant and asking for help is GOOD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -