Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is snorkeling better in Hawaii or Cayman Islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 11:04 AM
tom

Can anyone answer my question as to where you would go if you were interested in shore snorkeling.

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 11:20 AM
cmcdaniel

Tom...the snorkeling we did in Maui was from a catamaran. Though there may be some areas closer in, we couldn't around the Hyatt where we were staying...plus, it was way too rough right by the shore.

We've been to Cayman twice. The first time we stayed at Cayman Kai where you could walk into knee deep water and begin to snorkel right there, seeing some fantastic stuff and in nice calm water. Second time we were at the Hyatt on 5 Mile Beach--snorkeling not quite as good as Cayman Kai. Still--Cayman gets my vote. If you go, don't miss Sting Ray City too--it's a boat ride but well worth it for the experience!!
Carol

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 11:26 AM
Bart

Tom, it really depends on what you are looking for. For fish life, Hawaii. For colorful coral, Caymans. The Hawaiian islands were formed from volcanic activity so there is predomintly black lava with many interesting swim thrus,etc. with little coral. The coral colors in Cayman are brilliant.
In Hawaii there are 400 or so species of fish that you will only find in Hawaii.
In CAyman there is Stingray City dive that is a must.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful- you're choice fish or coral.

Bart

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 02:42 PM
lynnr

Tom -

I have only been to Hawaii but wanted to let you know that you can snorkle close to shore there.

When I was there (it was a few years back, you might want to check into this just to make sure) we went to Hanuama Bay (sp?) to snorkle. It was one of the most memorable things I've ever done. The bay was formed by a collapsed volcano. It's really beautiful.

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 06:44 PM
David

I'd have to give the nod to Caymans, Cozumel or surrounding areas over Hawaii. While Hawaii is a very unique place it is also very new geologically, thus the very small corral and limited reef type diving. The water in the Hawaii is a deep blue vs turqoise green and you will not get the same visibility as the carribean. However, Hawaii has so much more to offer (decent snorkeling, active volcanos, best sunsets in the world, great fishing, huge waves,etc) that I'd say it's a much better overall. My humble opinion anyway.