Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is Seattle to Mt St Helens and back in one day doable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:40 PM
Squidgie

We're visiting Seattle for the first time on July 13 for four days. Sunday is set aside for Mt. Ranier and/or Mt. St. Helens. How im/practical is it to try and squeeze in something like a 420 mile round-trip drive to see the volcano?

I've talked it up to my seven year-old, who is excited to see it, but now I'm thinking we'd be better off just exploring Mt. Ranier. Has anyone done both in a day?

Thanks in advance!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:53 PM
cindy

I live in washington, although not on the west side of the state. Doing both mts. in a day is not a good idea. mt. Rainier is really the more magnificient of the 2, and more child friendly..some fairly easy trails, a visitors center and resteraunt etc. where you can get a great ice cream cone. Parking is at a premium . Leave early from Seattle to get there before 11 or noon and you should be able to get a spot. I would check the park web site to see if the snow is off most of the trails. Mt. St. Helens is neat for an adult to see, but not too interesting for children unless they can read the info in the visitors center. Have you heard about the Titanic exhibit at the Seattle Science Center....it is supposed to be way cool. It's on our list for a short day trip.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Bob Brown

Your milage figures sound high to me.
According to my map it is something 160 miles to where you can see the Mount Saint Helens. Ranier would eat up most of a day if you went to ALL the areas accesible by car.
In my younger days I would have done it.
But contending with Seattle traffic might be a factor in your decision.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:57 PM
MoebiusTrip

Stick with one whole day for Mt.St.Helens. Check out both of the visitor centers,
and hike to the top of the viewpoint on
on the eastern side of the crater.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Squidgie

Thanks for the advice even though some of it is contradictory! My inclination is to just do Mt. Ranier, but I'll have to win over the hubby and 7 y.o. first!

If we have to squeeze in both I realize we won't spend too much time in either place (bad tourist . . . BAD tourist!)

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 11:35 PM
ldsant

I live here in Seattle. Absolutely do NOT even attempt to do both of these in one day. The drive is not a "straight shot" drive and quite frankly, traffic here is not the best - always add about 40 minutes to wherever you are trying to get to. It depends upon what you and your family are interested in. Mt. Rainier is spectacular this time of year with so much in bloom, and the hiking is great. I really enjoy Mt. St. Helens though because it's really done very well at the visitor's center and the park is "coming back" in certain places from the volcano. Both places require walking. Also, it is essential that you get an early start - this is the heavy tourist season and tourists as well as locals visit Mt. Rainier in force - especially over the weekend. Enjoy your trip out here and realize that either one is quite spectacular and enjoyable.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:17 AM
Erika

My husband and I traveled out to Seattle for a five day trip last October and made a point to visit Mt. St. Helens. There simply isn't anything like it in the country (and maybe the world) It is an amazing, spectacular sight and I can't imagine that Mt Rainer - while also quite impressive - could hold a candle to the awesomeness of Mt St Helens. If you can visit only one (and I would definitly agree that both in one day is wayyy too much) then make a point to see Mt St Helens. It is a full day trip from Seattle - but one you won't regret.

If you do visit St Helens - my suggestion would be to visit the very first visitor center to get prepared for what you are going to see, and the very last visitor center which is only a couple of miles from the crater. The others in between were interesting but we spent too much time at them not knowing/believing how much closer we were going to get.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 05:48 AM
JJ

Yes. 5 hours round trip

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 04:08 AM
Pete

Six years ago, while stationed in Seattle for a four month government assignment, my wife dated a man a couple of times and one of the times was a trip from the downtown Seattle to Mt. St. Helens. By my wife's recollection, my wife's date picked her up about 9AM Saturday morning and returned her home by about 6 PM with a Mexican lunch worked in. On weekends, it is apprarently about a reasonable 2 1/2 hour drive one way.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 05:07 AM
gail

Last summer drove from Seattle to Mt St. Helens on way to Portland and then San Francisco. As above posters, the roads are fine, but not super highways - mileage is longer than you would think and much of it is straight up hill. That said, do not miss St. Helens - it was one of the most impressive sights I have ever seen. Went with kids, ages 9 and 14 and they were fascinated. Before we went we considered skipping it but posted on this and other travel sites and everyone said to go - so we did. Did not go to Ranier - I imagine it would be great for hikers, but we just admired it from a distance.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 03:55 AM
Doug

Add 1 1/2 hours to round trip during the weekday. Seattle traffic is terrible, maybe one of the reasons Boeings corporate headquarters is moving out.