Is San Dieog pretty in October & November?

Old Apr 10th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is San Dieog pretty in October & November?

I have been to San Diego in April and it was absolutely gorgeous. They had had some good rain and the flowers were blooming absolutely everywhere. Excellent trip.

Can My family expect the same thing if we go in October or November 2013? We really want to be there to see beauty. I know that the Carlsbad flower fields don't bloom then, but are the local flowers and grass still in full swing at that time? The temps are higher during those months, so I am guessing that it should be a beautiful time to go.

My husband is concerned about it being dry and having fires. Just checking with someone who might know first hand or knows where to do the research.

Thanks much!
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:59 PM

Please check the annual weather and rainfall in San Diego. The temperature is pretty mild year round. 70 in the summer and 70 in the winter.

It won't rain, probably from May to early November, except for a freak storm.

Don't expect lots of flowers, except for those that are watered, in the fall.

Having said that, the overall beauty of San Diego is very high in my book. The parks and the downtown and its ambience is excellent.

Do some research. It has a world class zoo, that shouldn't be missed.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 12:49 AM

No, the native landscapes won't be green and flowery like April because Oct/Nov is the end of the dry season. And yes, there will be wildfires if conditions are right. Fires are common and really unlikely to affect your vacation though.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 01:45 AM

October and November see a drop in crowds as well as hotel rates. To visit in early fall you'll probably need to make reservations several weeks in advance. But if you're planning for a late October or early November trip, a few days notice should be fine.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 05:01 AM

I agree with Cosmia - October can be hot depending on the Santa Ana winds and it will be dry and not very green that time of year.

However, it will still be nice - good beach weather in early to mid October. November will be cooler with possible (not likely) rain.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 12:41 PM

Usually, the Santa Ana winds are further north.

It's not normally that hot, and there won't be wildfires in/near the city.

Attached is the annual weather for San Diego by month.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USCA0982

I showed this post to my wife, a life long resident of San Diego until she married me, she started laughing.

I still go there to visit her relatives and have yet to be in a hot spell.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
San Diego is always great!
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 02:08 PM

I don't think there is a BAD time to visit San Diego......
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 04:31 PM

Rastaguytoday:
FWIW:
Yearly (between Aug-Oct) the Santa Ana winds affect the entire Southern California region including all of San Diego city & county.

Last October we (here at the beach) had some of the hotest weather I can remember (one day it was 96 degrees).

In 2003, San Diego had one of the worst fires in Calif history. The fire started in the back county and moved into the city areas of Scripps Ranch. (2003 - destroying over 300 homes and killing at least 16 people).

But, I wouldn't let that stop vistors from coming
It is a nice time especially for beach activities.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 04:50 PM

Zippy3:

We visit every Thanksgiving and find it quite lovely. The weather is always 100% better than where we live in the Midwest.

Have a look on www.sandiego.org the official tourist information site for lots of good information.

Sandy
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 07:10 PM

We definitely get santa anas!! Anyway, there's no guarantee on the weather. I can't say that a tourist will never ever be affected by wild fire because maybe they want to go on nature walks or something, who knows, but like I said it's seriously unlikely. I'm a life long resident of San Diego too...
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 08:24 PM

nanabee - one incident 10 years ago on fire?

And one incident from last year says what will probably happen this year.

I have relative in SD and in Santa Ana. The SA winds can be killers, however, almost always, SD is not affected.

If you google for winds or fire, not that the talk is about San Diego County, which is pretty large, and not San Diego itself.

You folks have called out exceptions, not the rule. Don't let folks get scared off because of an exception.

There's still deep snow on the ground in Ireland. Not a rule, but an exception for this time of year.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nana, don't forget the Witch Creek Fire in 2007, even worse than the Cedar fire of 2003. It is not common, thought, for wildfires to come into the city, but travel to the nearby Cuyamaca mountains could be affected.

Rasta, San Diego gets Santana winds every year,in varying degrees. The fire I referenced above resulted in evacuations all the way to and including Del Mar on the coast.And don't forget the 400+ homes that burned in the well-established, several decades old, community in which I live. These fire events will happen more than in the past because the weather, including winds, is more extreme these days.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 09:24 AM

Barbara - so scare off all the people.

It's not like the Santa Ana (not Santana) winds happen all fall long; 2-3 days usually, followed by calm.

I sent an email to my wife, asking her. Her response...

"Santa Ana winds usually hit during autumn and early spring. They are from the Mojave desert and usually occur during Sept. Actually these winds can howl. I notice them more where my mom lives and they always seemed more prevalent in Tustin than San Diego.

San Diego usually was rarely affected."
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 10:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
rasta, it is in fact, correctly, Santana, but most people call them Santa Ana.

You must have skipped my second sentence.

I have lived in San Diego for thirty five years, I know what the weather is like...and how it has changed over that time. It is not nearly as predictable as it used to be. Also remember that the City is more than the downtown area.

September and October have always been my favorite months here.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 10:45 AM

I thought that the Santana vs. Santa Ana issue was long dead and buried. See: http://www.laalmanac.com/weather/we23.htm
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 03:00 PM

The best day I ever had surfing was in early october. I think the weather is perfect and some years the water is actually warm.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 03:22 PM

And of course, in Spanish Santana and Santa Ana are pronounces almost exactly the same (unless someone is enunciating to separate the syllables).

Regardless, SD is a lovely city any time of year, however in the fall, anything that is not being watered will have turned brown long ago.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 03:31 PM

Oct. and early November can be very hot inland, and at times, the coastal area is, too. However, it won't be humid. Yes, it is high fire season, the 2003 and 2007 fires were horrific, but that doesn't mean they're an annual event.
Beach weather and water temp. arev at their best then. I would say this is a great time to visit. There's always something blooming, but hillsides and other areas do get dry and brown. Public schools are back in sessions so crowds not as bad. And, weather forecasts change day to day, nothing seems to be typical anymore.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 03:51 PM

San Diego not affected by Santa Anas? I don't think so! it was always a part of going back to school in the fall...if the temp got over 102, we got sent home, so all school kids would get very excited when the wind picked up. We'd usually get 4 or five such days each year.

I go to San diego many times each year and like to goin the fall, in part because the weather is always nice. The flowers will mostly be gone, but bouganvilla, ice plant, etc are still pretty.

No one is scaring off tourists. The winds come and the winds go. Not something to worry about, unless you live in a dry area, or unless you plan to lie on a beach.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -