Reload this Page >

Is renting a car necessary in Honolulu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 04:57 AM
Drew

My wife and I are planning to go to Honolulu next month for 5 nights. How accessable is the public transportation for getting around to the sights? Should I rent a car?

Thanks

Drew

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Docia

We rented a car in Honolulu and never used it except to go back to the airport. You can get on the trolley to go around the city. And we had to pay to park the car at the hotel. Be sure and go to the Polynesian Cultural Center
What a great experience Have a great time. Aloha

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Dave

We have been there a few times and always were glad we had a car. The bus system is pretty good, but there are a lot of things to do that are pretty spread out over the island, and the buses may not be very convenient. Also, if you do anything in the evening away from the hotel, having a car makes it easier.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 07:32 AM
jr

A good compromise is to rent a car for the day. Parking is extra at most hotels and a car is not really necessary, so just get something fun (Jeep, Convertible) for 24 hours. Easy to rent in downtown area.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Virginia

People go and hop around the island on the bus but yuk it takes for ever. The airport is only 8 miles from Waikiki but it takes 45 to 60 minutes by bus. What you can do is rent the car by the day. I think you will miss out if you don't rent a car. You can't take a bus out to byodo temple on the windward side. Do you want to get off the bus just to have shave ice in Haleiwa? What about a hike into Manoa falls or Makapu light house will you get on and off a bus for that. You want to save money, go for onolicious local food at Hungry lion, my fav the hula bowl. Also Ono's on the way to Kaimuki for the most authentic traditional Hawaiian food. Will you be cabbing it at $15 something to consider. There are breath taking beaches on the windward side. Waikiki worth a day on the beach and perhaps a stroll up and down into all the big hotels but beyond that the images we have in our head of Hawaii are on other parts of the island IMHO. I recommend a drive around the island on the first day to see what you will be missing by staying on Oahu. It takes 4 hours but it is beautiful. You could break it up in days, windward side is only 40 minutes away and the drive from diamond head is extremely scenic. It is even a quicker drive over the pali, 20 minutes. Yeah that is another place to visit. It is this vista that overlooks the whole of Honolulu and where King Kamahmaha united all of the Hawaiian Islands under his leadership. You don’t want to take pork in your car at night or the menahune will stall you so legend has it. The pali is gorgeous with this bizarre wind that feels like it is going to sweep you over the edge.. Oh by the by, the Calendar of events on Oahu at the Hawaii Visitors Bureau will tell you what is happening on the Island. I know next month made in Hawaii weekend at the blasdale is fun and filled with great crafts, food to take home. I would check out a bon dance nothing you will ever see on the mainland, and august is the month for them. Do a search others have spoken about them here. As you see I could go on forever here. If you rent the car at least on some days you will be able to do the same to your friends. Good luck and enjoy