Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is Phoenix/Sedona good substitute for Caribbean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 07:39 AM
stephanie

We really wanted to go the Caribbean last minute here, before we have another baby, but it's just too expensive to even get there with 2 kids. Not interested in Florida (as it would be spring break time!)

Really want to go somewhere warm and have considered Phoenix/Sedona as option #2. Never been to Arizona. Wondered if anyone familiar with/loves the area could comment as to whether the resorts there and geography make it a place anyone would love to see - would it be good sub. for Caribbean? We don't golf, do love mountains, interesting geography, and swimming, and want to relax. Thanks for any opinions.

Stephanie

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 07:50 AM
Cal

I don't think that one would consider Phoenix a substitute for the Caribbean. One is desert and the other is tropical. However I personally would prefer Phoenix regardless. The weather in Phoenix should be pretty warm thougn not like the Caribbean. Sedona will definitely be much cooler and could still be pretty chilly in the spring.

Bear in mind that the spring is in the heart of the tourist season and accomodations may be hard to come by.

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 08:19 AM
Alan

I agree, Phoenix/Sedona v. Carribean is no comparison.

I enjoy both, but they are totally different.

If you enjoy the mountains, you might like to drive the short distance (from Phoenix) to the Superstition Mountains - I like to hike to the Weaver's Needle. It is tremendously different from the hiking I have done in the Smokies.

Sedona is interesting. A friend of mine is a captain with a major airline - he flies into Phoenix regularly. The first time I went to Phoenix, I asked him what was a "must see" - he recommended Sedona. As with the Superstition Mts, Sedona is unlike anything I had ever seen "back East".

Hope this helps!

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 02:37 PM
brenda

Just wanted to recomment a hotel in Sedona to you: The Southwest Inn. Great rates- we got $99/night including breakfast. Plus, beautiful balcony views and fireplaces in the rooms.

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 02:53 PM
stephanie

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. Brenda, had we decided to go to Arizona, we would have indeed stayed at the Southwest Inn as that was my favorite choice of those hotels I looked into. As it turns out, we decided to go to Florida anyway - found reasonable air and hotel rates fairly last minute to Sanibel/Captiva area.

We do plan to visit Arizona & 4 corners areas in future, maybe when kids are older, and we can take a long driving trip. Thanks again.