Is Muir Woods worth the trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm being a real pain about my upcoming trip, but the more I read, the more questions I have. Please bear with me. If I take a day trip from SF north along route 1 toward Bodega, is Muir Woods worth stopping to see? Any other "must sees" for first time visitor outside the city?
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have never seen a redwood, don't miss it.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Marin Civic Center, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, is visible from the hwy, be sure to look for it. Larkspur and Mill Valley are nice lunch stops, if you don't go to Muir Woods.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM

In a word....yes.
Of all the redwood groves in the greater Bay Area, Muir Woods is the absolutely most accessible. You do not have to devote more than an hour or so for a quick look. There are awesome stands of the ancient trees within a half mile of easy walking from the parking lot. Of course, there are more extensive trails leading up the flanks of Mt. Tamalpais if you were going to make it a day's worth of hiking. You can get right back out onto the highway near Muir Beach afterwards.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:38 AM

That's Highway One, NOT Route 101, that you'll be on if visiting Muir Woods.
The Frank Lloyd Wright structure referred to by the previous poster is on 101, which is a freeway.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:54 AM

I think you probably get the implication correctly from the above that a redwood grove is a must see. If you have seen one before, or if your travels will take you to one otherwise (like to Big Sur State Park, for instance), then I don't think there is anything so unique about Muir Woods that I would include it in a brief trip north of San Francisco. As Dovima indicates, though, if you haven't seen a redwood grove before, even a very few minutes in one will be very worth your time.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM

If you haven't seen redwoods, then yes, make this stop, pay admission, take a hike. Keep in mind: parking may be a pain, depends on the day and time of the day.

Is Stinson beach on the way? It can be a lunch stop. VERY beautiful place.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Yes, Muir Woods is definitely worth your time. I consider it a "must see."
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Definitely. Without a doubt. Yes.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Are you a nature lover? It was okay for me, but I enjoyed shopping in Sausalito more. Sorry to all you conservationists.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:00 PM
gc

....paved paradise and put up a parking lot...

f64club, Muir woods is definitely worth it. Also, we really enjoyed exploring the headlands just north of the Golden Gate. The gun emplacements and bunkers are a reminder of history, and the view through the GG to the city is breathtaking...a view you've seen in countless car advertisements. It's neat to see it in person.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:28 PM

I really enjoyed Muir Woods. If you can, do a longer hike off the main paved trail. I went in the morning and it was not too busy but by the time we left around noon, it was packed and your could barely walk on the paved trail. By contrast, the side trails were almost empty.

We combined out Muir woods day with Sonoma.

Another nice day/half-day trip was renting bikes at fisherman's wharf, biking over the GG bridge, to Sausalito. Hang out in Sausalito for a while then ferry (with the bike) back to the wharf.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 01:02 PM

RE: your post about wineries near Bodega Bay. I left you a detailed message on how one might do this-
short version here-if you are going to Bodega Bay, then up PCH 1 to Hwy 116
and back inland you will see plenty
of redwoods between Duncan Mills and Guerneville. There is a paticularly beautiful grove if you hang a right at Monte Rio and travel the Bohemian Hwy
into Occidental.
R5
R5
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:03 PM

Muir Woods is wonderful. We hiked and enjoyed it but our daughter, a bit on the sofa-side of life, hated it and whined the whole time. Beware that the paved part is only half. The other half is pretty wild with roots and rocks and narrow trail. I am very glad we went, but regret that my daughter didn't enjoy it. It was very cool and a windbreaker was perfect. Then we traveled on to a close by park at a higher elevation (sorry, can't remember the name but it was a state park.) It was beautiful and above the mist, warm and sunny. The sign warning of mountain lions kept us from hiking at that elevation. If you want to hike, ask about precautions.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:54 PM

I would say it's worth it. First of all, it's a pretty short drive to Muir Woods from SF. We were just there during Christmas vacation. We drove over the Golden Gate Bridge in the morning, stopping to take pictures of the city. We stopped for breakfast at Dipsea Restaurant in Mill Valley (the Stinson Beach exit off 101). Great food-we just stumbled across the place but it appears to be a very popular restaurant although we didn't have to wait long. We then continued on to Muir Woods. Parking was a little crowded since it was about 10:30 am but found a place. It was a cool day with light rain so didn't hike too far but had a chance not only to see the redwoods but the salmon spawning. The ranger was there talking about it, very interesting to see. By the time we left at noon, cars were parked miles down the road.

You can either combine Muir Woods with Bodega or just spend a nice morning there and return to the city for the afternoon.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:55 AM

Yes! Muir Woods is a beautiful and peaceful forest. Take the new,free shuttle to get there on Sat. or Sunday. Just take the # 70 or 80 Golden Gate Transit to Marin City- then get on the shuttle. Call 415-923-2000 for info.