Is Miami's Little Havana safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My husband and I are from Europe, and will be in South Beach this summer. I keep hearing of a wonderful Cuban restaurant (Versailles), but was wondering whether it was safe to go to Little Havana at night. A few years ago, a cop had discouraged a girlfriend of mine and myself from going there in broad daylight. What should I believe? Thank you!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:56 AM

Little Havana is fine.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:38 AM

It is super safeface. Vesailles is on 8 street sw and 32 avenue, right on the corner. Miami is a safe town day or night, just make sure you know your destination and you will be fine. I will suggest you do not get close to an area called Overtown, which is the NE section of Miami. From South Beach, take causeway, then I95 south and exit on 8 street, go west to 32 ave and restaurant will be on you left hand side. Versailles is a few blocks away from Coral Gables, the best area in Miami
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 11:39 AM

It is safe. However, from I-95, you have to take the S.W. 7th Street exit. This is one way to the west. After about 2.5 miles (at 27 Avenue), it will curve to the left and join with S.W. 8th Street, the heart of Little Havana. About 3.4 of a mile further, Versailles, with its big sign, will be on your right (a little past 32 Ave.). On the way back, just follow 8th Street until the interchange with I-95. 8th Street has some nice places to see during the day. I don't know what that police officer was talking about...Little Havana is a real, working-class neighborhood. It hasn't been scary to drive through day or night for well over 20 years. For your own peace of mind, stick to the main streets and avenues and you will have no problem.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:36 PM

Versailles is actually located on Sw 8 St and Sw 36 Ave. Restaurant tends to fill up more on the weekends.