Is Long Island City a lodging option?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2018, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the beginning stages of planning about 5 days in New York City. It was suggested by a friend that I might look for lodging options in Long Island City to keep my budget in line. When I travel, the hotel is a place to sleep and shower. Therefore, it needs to be clean and safe. So far I have found Four Points by Sheraton and The Feather Factory. Both are close to subway stations. I am just wondering if this is a good option. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 06:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I have never stayed there - but NYC Fodorites are always recommending LIC as a good option when Manhattan rates are too high. It is a short subway trip into Manhattan.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj. I should have thought to do a search before I posted.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 09:24 PM

I visit NY few times a year & have been many many times thru the years. Since my daughter & SIL now live in LIC, I stay with them in their apartment facing the river with fantastic views to Manhattan. The area they live in by the gantries & park is beautiful with lots of restaurants & amenities but unfortunately hotels are not situated close by & are not close to the river. They seem to be more “inland” & in not so nice looking areas. On the plus side, it’s very easy to get to/from Manhattan, to/from JFK & it saves money & none of it feels unsafe. I also like to take the ferry across to East 34th Street or DUMBO and onwards to Wall Street so access to Brooklyn/Manhattan is easy.