Is it worth it? Sonoma with no wine

Feb 19th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Is it worth it? Sonoma with no wine

So, we've been planning a trip to Napa/Sonoma for late May. A piece of recent news has made it clear that one of us will not be able to drink at all during this trip. We were planning on wineries being the bulk of our activities. Will wine country still be a good trip with NO WINE?! I wouldn't mind just seeing the wineries and not drinking, but that would get old fast it seems. Anyone done this?
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Travelisfun:

Hold the coffee...

Wine tasting is not the same as drinking wine.

You may put wine in your mouth, swish and with all the class in the world put that same wine in the "bucket".

Now, if your news is personal or health related that is different.

Sonoma is so beautiful I say it is definately worthwhile to go and enjoy the time that you have planned to be there.

The wineries and their staffs are all different and with different personalities so, I do not think you would be sad that you went.

Happy Travels,
Oaktwon Traveler
Feb 19th, 2004, 11:28 AM

They have non-alcholic beverages at every winery (we took our children and they had a great time); touring the vineyards is fun without wine, the countryside is gorgeous, there are wonderful spas for relaxing, shopping, incredible food, hot air balloon rides, gourmet train/dinner trips, etc.
Feb 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM
GP

Hi travelisfun

Sonoma is a costal county and Sonoma coast is very nice. You could spend some time on the coast.

Have Fun
GP
Feb 19th, 2004, 12:17 PM

You may also want to consider a stop at Viansa in Sonoma. Since they have a marketplace there, the wine drinkers could do the tastings while the nondrinkers sample all the sauces and cheeses. Also, Sonoma Sqaure has great shops and a killer cheese factory that are worth checking out.

I have gone to wino land with family members that CANNOT drink (including just running it around their mouth) and they have always enjoyed the trip. Just seeing the huge expansive vineyards and learning about the wine making process is enjoyable.
Feb 19th, 2004, 04:21 PM

And, there is the Mission, the barracks, Vellejo's home, the central square, the restaurants and cafes, the shops, Vella Cheese, it goes on and on. Plenty to do without drinking wine and there is always that legitimate reason to spit.
Feb 20th, 2004, 10:19 AM

I would skip Sonoma if you do not drink-particularly if someone has a problem with alcohol.

How about Monterrey or somewhere on the coast?
Feb 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Mel

Go for it. There was a recent thread on this exact issue. I wish I knew how to get the exact url, but if you search on "sonoma cheese" you will find two threads about the "Happy Happy California cows." One is a trip report and the other is the original question with suggestions for places to try foods other than wine. The wine country has a lot of artisanal food makers that give you lots of yummy things to taste.

Also, the scenery is really beautiful, especially in Sonoma, and there are some fun towns to explore. Healdsburg is my favorite. Some other activities: hot air balloon rides, mudbaths and/or massages, bike tours (to the wineries, but obviously more leisurely and a chance to slow down and enjoy the scenery), canoeing on the Russian River, shopping, hitting many of the fantastic restaurants.
Feb 20th, 2004, 12:26 PM

My husabndand I don't drink wine and LOVED our trip to Sonoma! The food there was wonderful! The vineyards were beautiful and relaxing. The shops were fun! We even stayed at the Sonoma Mission Inn. Did spa treatments and loved them.

Have fun!
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Which treatments did you like there? We really enjoyed the SMI. Yes, definitely go to Sonoma. It is very much worth it, even tho you cannot have the wine. Many wonderful places to eat and shop. Have fun!! ***kim***

Feb 20th, 2004, 02:01 PM

Don't go if you don't love beautiful scenery and world class food! Wine is just a bi-product.
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Kal

No problem!!! I'm been to Napa Sonoma mannyyyyy times without drinking.

All kidding aside, ditto to all the above comments. Beautiful area.

Does the current news of a non drinking condition preclude you from riding a bike? Some nice pedals thru the vineyards.

Good luck!
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:34 PM

Do you enjoy photography? Amazing views and scenery. One of my favorite areas to photograph. Have we convinced you yet? LOL ***kim***
Feb 24th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice here! I think we'll go on the trip and enjoy the other aspects of "Wine Country"! Thankfully, the condition is a happy one, so at least my husband can sample and we can buy bottles to bring back with us for a later date! Thanks again for the encouragement! I'm looking forward to the trip again!
Feb 24th, 2004, 08:01 AM

In St Helena you can visit the Napa Olive Oil Mfg Co for a non-alcoholic tasting.

http://www.napavalleyoliveoilmfg.com/
Feb 24th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Kal

t'fun,
Are you trying to tell us you may be looking for a restuarant that can prepare "rabbit"? =D>

If that's the case, Domaine Chandon for a bottle of the bubbly for "later"?
Feb 24th, 2004, 08:52 AM

kind of reminds me of that Howard Jones song, where you can just look at the menu but you can't eat, etc., etc., that said, sonoma is beautiful and there are lots of great restos. and i believe that most OB's think an occasional glass of vino is not the worst thing. perhaps as Oaktown suggests, just gargle and spit!