Is Fallingwater worth the trip?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:19 PM
F.L.W. Fan

Is Fallingwater worth the trip?

My husband and I are planning a driving trip to Pennsylvania in August or September and we're considering visiting Fallingwater (the Frank Lloyd Wright house) on the way. Would appreciate insights from anyone who has been there... Any major disappointments or surprises?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:34 PM
elizabeth

My husband and I visited Fallingwater in October a couple of years ago - we took a one day sidetrip and were very pleased we did, we really enjoyed. One thing - it was recommended to us that we have reservations - even midweek in October (a popular time due to the fall foliage, which was lovely). Here's a link for tour information

http://www.wpconline.org/fallingwater/visit.htm

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:43 PM
John R.

My wife and I visited Fallingwater last August and enjoyed it. We both are Frank Lloyd Wright fans so it was a natural trip for us. There isn't all that much else to do in the area so one day should be enough. Go in Sept or October when it isn't so hot.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:48 PM
MM

If you really are a FLW fan, this is a must-not-miss. Can't imagine what would disappoint you, other than there being nothing much else other than this here. It's a marvelous house, with all of FLW's best ideas and a few of his quirkier ideas (he hadn't a clue about kitchens, and where do the stairs go, really?)

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:53 PM
F.L.W. Fan

Thanks for the info and reassurance! I hadn't doubted our plans at all until I started reading some of the "been there done that don't bother" threads of late, which made me think it would be better to check, just to be sure!! I'm really looking forward to our trip and now hoping we can postpone to October to experience the fall colors...

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:24 PM
George

It's a stunning experience. We took the deluxe tour--leaves about 8:30 in the morning to be ahead of the ordinary visitors. You can also take pictures inside.

You're led back through the woods. Then you come upon a little clearing. You look out, and for the first time, see the house. You've seen the picture(s) hundreds of time. But nothing prepares you for that moment. Perhaps the absolute epitome of Wright's genius.

While you're in the area, after you're done, drive over and take the tour of Kentuck Knob, AKA the Hagan House. Done in the 1950s, this Wright house was meant for the Hagan family to live-in year round. There's a different thrust to the treatment of the house for that reason. It's nestled in the woods, from one angle almost gently abutting the hillside. Walk through the woods a hundred years or so, and you'll come to a magnificent scenic overlook. My recollection is that Wright specifically did not want the woods cleared between the house and the view. Didn't want the overlook to become stale.

You'll love it. I envy you your first time.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:29 PM
w

If you are the outdoors types then stay an extra day and go rafting in Ohiopyle.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Cathy

My husband and I just visited Falling Water in June. Make mid-week reservations for the private tour. A little pricey $40 per person, but worth every penny. Otherwise you will just be herded through with a larger group, won't be able to really check things out and won't be able to take interior pictures. The grounds are great, and October there I mimagine would be beautiful. Other things in the area- Fort Necessity, the Laurel Caverns, Kentuck Knob (another FLW house), teh Ohiopyle state park- hiking trails, white water rafting. Stay at the Rivers Edge Band B in Confluence.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Dick

Fallingwater is an incredible place with so much of the original furniture still in place.

The official website for Fallingwater is
http://www.wpconline.org/fallingwaterhome.htm

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:37 PM
kam

I grew up in Western PA and have visited Fallingwater many times. I am not a FLW fan, in fact quite disliked Taliesin West in AZ.But Fallingwater is really a beautiful home set in a wonderful setting, very much a part of the land. Our favorite time to visit was when the rhodedendrons were in bloom---maybe early June? There are tons of them and many over 6 feet tall all blooming away. Incredible. The fall color is nice too unless you've been to New England which is much more dramatic. There's a very old historic hotel nearby, the Mount Summit Inn---pretty setting and very retro like the Wawona in Yosemite. I think it's probably considered in Uniontown although it's quite a bit out in the country. I hope it's still in business---it's been about 15 years since we were there.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Stephanie P.

FLW Fan:

I wish you and husband would go in October, especially Oct. 9th or 10th. This is the time of fall foliage peak and a side trip to Ohiopyle to see additional foliage would make the visit complete.

Fallingwater is a very simple house but very interesting. Frank Lloyd Wright had a very minimalist and functional approach to building homes and you can/will see it clearly at Fallingwater.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Paul

I Loved Fallingwater!

Definitely an Eighth Wonder of the World. I have traveled all over the country just to see FFW's work. The only house I have seen in person that I like better is Taliesin East, in Spring Green Wisconsin. However, this comment is not meant to take away from the splendor of his creation of Fallingwater.

It was built as a summer getaway ('cottage'?), so summer IS a great time to see it. So is June, to see the rhododendron and mountain laurel in bloom, and also in the fall during color change. Point being, just see it!

I stayed at the Summit Inn, and enjoyed it very much. It is an old-fashioned hotel, where prominent figures of American history have stayed. They have a huge front porch where they serve afternoon tea, and also have a great dining room. The rooms are up-to-date, yet not 'fantastic.' The experience of staying there is worth it though. I loved the Olympic-size swimming pool. I tried to find their website for you, but only came up with this lead:

http://www.watsonschoice.com/GuideBook/Attractions/SummitInn.htm

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Paul

Direct Link to the Summit Inn:

http://www.summitinnresort.com/

(sorry!)

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:13 PM
TTom

Worth the trip? It's one of the best side trips I've ever done. Fallingwater is simply stunning. You won't believe it.
By the way, if your husband is tall (6'2" and above) he'll have to duck everywhere as the ceilings are low. I'm 6'4 and was having to bow my head. And I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:26 PM
carol

my husband and i as well toured fallingwater a few years ago and were glad we did.it really is something to see.if i may suggest something,there is a wonderful resort nearby-maybe 9 or 10 miles away that is called nemacolin woodlands resort.i believe their web site is nemacolin.com.it's beautiful with a first rate spa.thought you may enjoy checking it out.....

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Eva

Yes, it is a very unique place. We went about 5-6 yrs. ago and this fall plan to return and also see Kentuck Knob nearby. I looked up on their brochure, but it does not list a website. You may want to call or write :
Kentuck Knob P.O. Box 305
Chalk Hill PA 15421
tel.: (724)329-1901
Nemocolin resort is fabulous and expensive. In case you're looking at more reasonable place, we stayed at Lodge at Chalk Hill on Rt. 40 in Chalk Hill: www.thelodgeatchalkhill.com
You'll love this trip , in any season !

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:33 PM
George

Try www.kentuckknob.com .

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:40 PM
synet

was there several years ago, my suggestion is when you visit both Fallingwater and Kentucky Knob make it early in the day, we were there on the last tour of the day and it became too dark to see anything and they rushed us out.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Spanky

We just toured Fallingwater two weeks ago. It's very pretty, particularly with the rhodos in bloom. The tours are very well done and small and cozy. The interesting thing is that none of the art (Tiffany items and Picasso paintings) are closed off to you. They are part of the decor and you can get up close and personal with all of them. Also, the Flight 93 Memorial is not too far away as well as the Johnstown Flood Museum which is quite interesting also.

Spanky

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:59 AM
F.L.W. Fan

Thanks everyone for the great responses! I'm getting so excited about our trip now! Good news is, I convinced my husband to delay the trip to early October so we can enjoy the fall colors (this will coincide nicely with our 2nd anniversary anyway! so he was pretty amenable!) So we'll definitely do the more intimate first morning tour that allows for photography (although there appear to be 2 options for that - see below.) We're also planning on staying for one to two nights in the area to make our getaway complete. I appreciate the lodging recommendations you've made. Most votes seem to be going for the Mount Summit, but I'm wondering whether there are any romantic bed & breakfasts in the area?
Also, a question about the tour options:
The Fallingwater website indicates there are two different in-depth tours available:
A) 2 hours starting at 8:30 a.m., reservations required, photography allowed (weekdays only, perhaps?)
B) New "Land of Fallingwater tour" - 3 hours, Saturday only 9:00 a.m.
Has anyone tried this second option? Too much information/overwhelming or is it a good idea? It sounds really appealing to me to get the most out of our visit.

Thanks again for all of your great insights! I can't wait for October!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO