Reload this Page >

Is Disneyworld worth a visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 09:16 AM
dave

We arrive in New York next week and are driving down to Florida, over a two week period. I always thought I would like to go to Disneyworld, but is it really worthwhile when we have no children with us?!

Any opinions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Dave

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 03:06 PM
mickey

Why else would you go to Florida????? No, really, it is a huge playground. If you can get a Hopper pass, you can go to everything for as long or short as you wish. Staying on site is a plus as you can ride their buses and boats with ease, going back to your hotel whenever you wish. The Swan and Dolphin are adult oriented and near Epcot. Downtown Disney at night rocks and has good restaurants and shopping. The water parks are a blast! Many adults I know go without their kids for a week!!

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 05:33 PM
randa

You will love Disney World; it's so beautiful. Do go to Epcot, as it's the most adult-oriented, but you should really go to all of the parks, just for the experience. Each park has attractions that are enjoyable for people of any age. You will love it there. Have fun!

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 05:35 PM
Trish

Hey Dave,
I totally agree with Mickey.
I've been to Disney twice with my kids, and I'm looking forward to returning some day without them.
There is something at Disneyworld for everyone. Go and enjoy!!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 08:23 AM
stephanie

Yes, Disneyworld is great for adults -
and can be even better without kids - you can enjoy all the attractions, get around quicker etc. If you like movies, you'll like the Disney MGM park.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Merilee

Don't miss it...visit all the parks on a hopper pass...Pleasure Island has all kinds of clubs for music and dance in the evening. Hope you like it!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Jean Valjean

Maybe you could also try Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios (and Citiwalk), Church Street Station and Busch Gardens (in Tampa). Excellent entertainment w/o the Disney touch.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Dalai Lama

Only you, my child, can answer that question. Look within yourself. How do you, [email protected], feel about The Mouse, The Pooh and the others? Do you enjoy rides like Space Mountain? I believe if you like The Mouse and a World's Fair-type atmosphere you could have a wonderful time. Keep in mind that The Mouse serves only one brand of beer: ROOT beer.

If, on the other hand, you detest The Mouse and all he stands for, think Space Mountain is for sissies, and grab for your gun everytime you hear "It's A Small World After All", you might want to go somewhere else.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Paige

I agree, it's fun w/o kids. There's even a book you should get about doing Disney w/o children.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Naysayer

It depends on what you want, and like to do on vacation. To me, it's a big bore. There aren't enough thrill rides to keep adults happy; and the children's rides are lame. It's expensive, but look who owns it. It's contrived, but look who owns it. And there are TONS of people there.
There is no history there. There is no art there. There is only a place into which to throw one's money.
To me there is nothing magical there because EVERYTHING is artificial. Magic is seeing a splendid sunset on quiet beach of Hawaii, or seeing the sweeping beauty of the Grand Canyon from the back of a burro as you head down into the canyon. Magic can not be manufactured. Sorry.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 10:41 AM
go4it

Shame on you naysayer. Yes, I would prefer to travel Europe, the Poynesian Islands, deserted isles, etc. but I can't afford to. But I can afford a little fantasy at Disney. The Polynesian dinner show is a wonderful recreation, and being at Wilderness lodge is like visiting Yellowstone. I hope you go and enjoy. My advice, take time to enjoy the details, the out of the way places, and don't worry about many rides you went on. I am not a big fan of Pleasure Island, but if you go the Comedy Warehouse and Adventurers Club both are great shows. Read the Unofficial Guide to Disney before you go, it will be well worth the $15 or check it out of your local library. Make sure you read the current copy, as much changes at Disney each year.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Naysayer

You missed the point. There is NOTHING real about Disneyworld. To me, the artificiality of Disneyworld is not beautiful; it's just plain contrived. The trees and plants in the river ride are largely FAKE. You don't have to go somewhere exotic to see beauty. I've seen many a great sunset on the beaches of Florida, California, Maine, Oregon. Floating down the St Mary's river on the Fla/GA line was fun, beautiful, and cheap. I saw real trees, and plants, and water, and animals. Disneyworld is EXPENSIVE and fake. What Disneyworld is all about is making money for the Disney empire. Pure and simple. I just don't like being a part of their machine, particularly when I don't even like their machine.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 11:17 AM
ilisa

It depends if you like Disney or not. I have been there 19 times, with trip 20 coming up next year. My husband and I love the place and have been there several times without children. We find it to be the one place where we can truly let our inner child out, with or without kids. We are perfectly aware that everything there is artificial. Naysayer seems to think that those that visit Disney are fools who can't figure that out. It is not always necessary to have art and history to make a fun vacation. We love to travel all over, but Disney will always be a part of us. If you have never been there, and can go without thinking you are too adult for it, then go for it!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Phil

Hey Naysayer, I've got some bad news...Disney's not the only thing that's fake, from the exaggerations of advertising to television programming to the news media coming up with surveys and editorials that are supposed to make us think in a certain way or steer our thinking in a certain direction. The only thing that's real is yourself and your beliefs. Unless you own them outright, even your possessions are not your own.

Disney, by the way, has nothing to do with real vs. not real. It's pure escapism, which understandably isn't for everyone.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:03 PM
LDLee

Another vote for going to Disneyworld without kids. We went for our honeymoon ten years ago and had a great time. Although we stayed offsite, it was easy to get in and out. Our secret was to go to the pub at EPCOT after the laser light show and wait an hour for traffic to leave. And now with school starting, it will be less crowded and easier to get around.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:29 PM
xxx

I would just like to add that if you can afford a week at Disney then you can afford a week in Europe!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 04:59 PM
J & M

Disneyland is very expensive and the lines can be very long. In summer, it is also very hot. Epcot is a better choice for adults. There is also Silver Springs in Ocala Florida which is also fun and not so expensive. If you have never been to Disneyland, or Disney World, then you probably feel you "should" go- at least once. But it is not our favorite place and my husband and I cringe when someone from outside the U.S. tells us they are going there as the 'trip of a lifetime'. There is so much more to see than that!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Melanie

Absolutely!! Disney is pure magic with or without kids. Do not miss it. Check out these websites for all you ever wanted to know about Disney:
wdwinfo.com
wdwig.com

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Lena

Disney is a magical fantasy. It's pretty, perfect, youthful, and very expensive....It's totall superficial but great. There are lots of nice areas for adults, boardwalk, water themeparks, etc...expensive!!! It depends on what you like - there are other things to do in Florida, especially if you like water sports (sharks are keeping the beaches pretty clear right now)

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 09:53 PM
Doug Weller

Definitely go to Disney, at least Epcot.
And if you like rides, go to one of the parks with great rides.

Also go to Silver Springs, as suggested (don't get put off as a colleague did because the entrance is a bit tatty) and go on the glassbottom boat.

And go swimming at nearby DeLeon Springs and make yourself pancakes at your table at the old Spanish mill there.

Doug

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -