Reload this Page >

Is Diamond Head far enough away?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Sue

Hi! We found what we hope is a good place to stay in Waikiki -- Diamond Head Beach hotel.

I read they've been doing construction - is it completed? Would hate to get there and try to relax to the sounds of hammering and sawing.

Is this far enough away from the crowds to enjoy relaxing on the beach, yet close enough to walk to the nightlife?

Also, I've read the beach in front of DBH is not that great -- how far is it to the sand in front of the New Otani? And is that the white sand/clear clue water-type beach one expects from Hawaii?

It's been so hard to narrow down where to go and what part of which island to go - I'm hoping we're in the final planning stretch! Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 10:45 PM
lcuy

DBH is down in Kapiolani park..closer to Diamond Head. You would walk probably 5 minutes back toward Waikiki (but still in the park) to reach the New Otani, and maybe 15 minutes to be back in Waikiki. there is frequent bus service between them.
There are a bit more rocks in the water by DHB.
I called
DHB and they said the construction is to the exterior of the hotel and will continue through Mid-June. Some noise during the day, which is why they are offering the big discounts. Not sure what the price is...I really prefer the location of New Otani, their beach and their restaraunt, but if the price is really good at DHB, and you don't plan to sleep during work hours, it may be worth it.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 11:07 PM
Sue

Thank you so much! That was really helpful - and thank you for calling DBH! I was planning to tomorrow morning. You're a great example of island hospitality. Thanks again for your help and advice! gt;

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 10:48 AM
russ

Sue,

I just got last Tuesday from a week trip to the DHBH. Here is the scoop. Yes, they are giving serious discounts on rooms, with a regular room going for $75-$85 a night. We had a living room, bedroom, kitchen and dining area with view for $110/night. They will negotiate rates during the contruction, which is noisy on weekdays. I am outside all day, so that does not bother me.

The beach in front (acutually, not directly in front, but about 30 steps away) is about 200 feet wide. I liked it because there was NEVER anyone on it every time I went, so it was a great place to be alone; however, the lava and coral come right up to the shore, so water entry is difficult to impossible.

The beach in front of the New Otani, called San Souci, is a 3 minute walk (I timed it), 5, I guess, if you walk slowly. This is a nice beach, with clear calm water and is adjacent to a underwater preserve so there is some snorkeling. It is still a "city" beach, so if you want to really get away, I recommend any of the beaches on the windward side of Oahu (Kailua, Lanikai, Bellows, Waimanalo) which face the morning sun, and then go back to San Souci in the afternoon.

The main part of Waikiki is a 10 minute walk, 15 to the start of the ocean fron hotels. I found it pleasant and convenient. A taxi back will cost $6 or so, if you don't feel like walking back.

So, as far hotels, it comes down to money vs. what you are looking for. If the price is appealing (about half of the New Otani during construction), you are out during the day (the noise is a drag if you are not) and a 3 minute walk is not too much, I would go with the DHBH. If spending more is worth it to you, go with the New Otani. Either way, be sure to have at least one meal at the Hua Tree restaurant right on the beach at the New Otani. Have fun.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 10:51 AM
russ

P.S. Not all of the rooms have been remodeled yet at the DHBH, so be sure to get a remodeled one. Also, only the rooms from floor 8 and above have views (both Diamond Head and Ocean) and only rooms ending in '01 (which are more expensive) and '05, (which are cheaper), have balconies. Let me know if you have other questions.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 10:55 AM
kristen

Russ: Which part of the beach on Waikiki would you think best for an 8 year old? (Less rocks...wider sand)
Cheers

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 11:16 AM
russ

I have heard the locals refer to San Souci beach as the "swimming pool", because the water is calm and protected by the reef. There are still pebbles in the sand, but nothing to cut a foot on unless he swims out to the coral (which I trust he will not do unsupervised!!!). Also, there is a lifegaurd station there.

Going towards Waikiki, there is Kuhio Beach. This has a large man-made breakwater, which I think is ugly, but lots of kids playing in the very calm water. Too many older kids play ON the breakwater, which is slippery and dangerous.

After Kuhio beach starts the beachfront hotels, and the greater density of bodies. I have not swam in this area, but there are lots of kids. The bottom is sandy, which is great for walking on the beach. This is about a 20 minute walk from San Souci, so I like to walk down to this area, and when I have had enough of the crowds, walk back to the Diamond Head area.

FYI. There are a couple catamarans which leave every 90 minutes or so from in from of the Royal Hawaiian (big and pink, you can't miss it) and the Outrigger hotels. These cost only $12. We did a sunset sailing with my mother, sister and 13 year old nephew and really enjoyed it.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 11:37 AM
kristen

Russ: Thank you very much. SHE will appreciate the info as do I (ha ha).

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 11:52 AM
russ

I have heard the locals refer to San Souci beach as the "swimming pool", because the water is calm and protected by the reef. There are still pebbles in the sand, but nothing to cut a foot on unless he swims out to the coral (which I trust he will not do unsupervised!!!). Also, there is a lifegaurd station there.

Going towards Waikiki, there is Kuhio Beach. This has a large man-made breakwater, which I think is ugly, but lots of kids playing in the very calm water. Too many older kids play ON the breakwater, which is slippery and dangerous.

After Kuhio beach starts the beachfront hotels, and the greater density of bodies. I have not swam in this area, but there are lots of kids. The bottom is sandy, which is great for walking on the beach. This is about a 20 minute walk from San Souci, so I like to walk down to this area, and when I have had enough of the crowds, walk back to the Diamond Head area.

FYI. There are a couple catamarans which leave every 90 minutes or so from in from of the Royal Hawaiian (big and pink, you can't miss it) and the Outrigger hotels. These cost only $12. We did a sunset sailing with my mother, sister and 13 year old nephew and really enjoyed it.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 11:55 AM
russ

Sorry, did not mean to be gender specific.

I don't know why my reply posted twice.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Sue

Russ, you rule! Your posts are really helpful - especially about the floors and room numbers.

It's such a great deal, and I'm really tempted to take it, but still hesitant. If you don't mind, a few more questions:

Can you tell me what hours they were working on the building? (If it starts too early, that'll decide it right there!

Were they working inside on rooms only, or the outside as well? lcuy here (thank you lcuy as well, your info was alos very helpful!) said it was to the outside, but you mentioned not all rooms have been renovated.

Can you hear the construction from San Souci beach?

Was the staff friendly? We can live without room service or hotel restaurant, but would hate to have the trip marred by bad overall service (which one person mentioned in another post).

Sorry to ask so many questions! My last beach-type trip had some lodging issues, so I want to be able to relax and enjoy this time! gt;

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:53 PM
russ

I usually left by 8am and the noise had not started yet. Came back about 9:30am one day and it had begun. You might want to call and ask to be sure. Being on West Coast time, this was not an issue for me, as I was up everyday by 7am, which is like sleeping to 10am in LA.

All the work is outside. You will see scaffolding on part of the hotel. You can't hear the construction at San Souci, or even the little beach out front, but it is definately annoying if you are in the unit.

The staff was friendly, but I would not say service oriented. Requests for extra towels were responded to quickly, but that was really the only thing I asked for. I would say that if you are at all concerned about the service or the noise, stay at the New Otani. I have been in your situation before and regretted trying to save money and hating where I stayed. These issues didn't bother me, but since you mentioned them specifically, you will be safer staying at the New Otani.

Having said that, I rationalized my choice by applying the $75-80 per night savings to having a fabulous dinner every night, which was more important to me than the hotel. There are 3 great restaurants within a 3 minute walk: Michel's (Be sure to go early to see the sunset. Ask for a table closest to the beach facing Waikiki); Diamond Head Grill (at the W hotel); and the Hau Tree, at the New Otani. A taxi ride away, the Orchid at the Halekalani Hotel is excellent. We also had an wonderful, if expensive, lunch at the Kahala Mandarin one day. Now there's the place to stay if you want to drop $300/night or more.

One more thing. There was no noise on the weekends. I don't know what day you are arriving, but if you get there on a weekend, you might consider booking the DHBH for the entire trip, and booking the New Otani starting on a Tuesday. If you are miserable on Monday you can tell them you are leaving early and you can move on Tuesday. If not, you can cancel your reservation at the New Otani with 24 hours notice. Just a thought. Good luck and have fun!